www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:08 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:47 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Max Kool wrote:
Just shimmed the needle from 0.030 to 0.040" and installed new spark plugs while I was at it anyway. Most likely not necessary, the old ones came out as if 5 miles old. Latte coffee colored.

Took it for a spin and the engine actually feels very well mannered now. The slightly nervous feeling at a constant throttle (say, 40mph in 4th), is gone. It wasn't surging at these speeds, but it did feel like it wanted to lunge forward at the slightest touch of the throttle. Like some fuel injected bikes feel.

It's nice and soft now. Kind of boring lol

I could still have it detonate once or twice at really low speeds at WFO, but knowing my wife doesn't ride as idiotic as I do, I don't think it will ever happen.
Keep in mind that detonation need not be audible to be occurring and need to not be audible to do damage.

While shimming the needle clip will certainly richen the mixture, on a BST-series carburetor it will do so lowering the slide rather than by raising the needle (except when the slide is against either stop), as the shim increases the preload on the slide spring. Increased preload means that more force (i.e. more velocity) will be required to lift the slide off of the stop (meaning that it begin lifting later in terms of throttle position and rpm). This also means a decrease in cylinder filling (useful for addressing a detonation issue in a case like yours).
Quote:
If this bike was mine, I'd order a TM-40 and be done.
That's the last thing I would consider on an engine that has audible detonation with the stock CV carburetor in place.

Regards,

Derek

Last edited by motolab on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:01 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Derek,

if we were neighbors I would have liked to spend an hour or so at your shop setting up the DR's carburation. For now, I am happy with the way it runs... (you're in the SF area, are you?)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Update: filled her up with 91 fuel instead of the regular 87 I normally use, and the detonation (which was only noticeable at really low revs and WFO), is gone. However I try lugging it (and I feel sorry for the crankshaft while doing so) it doesn't ping anymore.