www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:05 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:14 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Btw Rob, do we still believe in the KTM 6G5 needle?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:23 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Max Kool wrote:
Btw Rob, do we still believe in the KTM 6G5 needle?

Not for a modded airbox.... :s_no

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:52 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Nah, stock except a pulled snorkel.

I raised the stock needle 0.030"/ pilot adjust when I got the bike, which worked pretty good. Bike runs smooth from idle to redline. No surging, no off-idle bog. Just peanut butter.

However, at really low rpms at near wfo it detonates every now and then. If it weren't for the occasional knocking I wouldn't change a thing.

3000 miles, last service at 800 or something.

I may just raise the needle another 0.010" for shdis and giggles, as it does start surging when riding in the rain (colder engine).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:06 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Max Kool wrote:
Nah, stock except a pulled snorkel.

So far I raised the stock needle 0.030"/ pilot adjust which worked pretty good. Bike runs smooth from idle to redline. No surging, no off-idle bog.

However, at really low rpms and near wfo it detonates every now and then. If it weren't for the occasional knocking I wouldn't change a thing.

3000 miles, last service at 800 or something.

AFR goes very high on a big bore engine under heavy load at low RPM. To fix the extremes you have to squander the norms on a carb without an accelerator pump. Remember your right hand might be at WFO but your BST isn't at low RPM WFO. :s_no I thought the Factory Pro needle worked well... but the kit is expensive. Might give the KTM needle a try. Otherwise just lift your stocker a bit higher if "thumping" at WFO is your thing. I personally love to thump my thumper... wait, that didn't sound right. :s_rofl But damn it, it's not "LUGGING" your engine... it's a thumper for criminy sakes! :s_cool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:00 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I’m not lugging, it’s “post-lugging” :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:40 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Max Kool wrote:
I’m not lugging, it’s “post-lugging” :biggrin:

:2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

dmsantam wrote:
i did some searching on this site, and found some of your previous recommendations (topic17374-30.html?sid=4ebf9347c0b9e3b65c525e9ed04192f4#p195523)

6F19 needle on the 4th clip, float height 14.7mm, and the usual pilot screw adjustment procedure.

What main jet do you recommend as a starting point? I am at sea level, in Australia.

Given the very different taper of the 6F19 needle, i take it that the main jet will have to be richer than what is working with my more aggressively tapered dynojet needle. I'm running a DJ160 (mikuni 150) main with the dynojet needle. Should i try a DJ170 (mikuni 160) main with 6F19 needle to start with?

I see that the wolf and zebra are using a mikuni 155, so i will start with that. http://www.wolfandzebra.com/tuning-the- ... t-motolab/
It sounds like you're on the right track, but I would add than an incorrect float height will result in a mixture that is off across the span of several openings. 1mm is worth ~2.4% CO, which is the equivalent of approximately two jet sizes.

For diagnostic purposes report back with your fuel screw setting after you are done.

Regards,

Derek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Max Kool wrote:
However, at really low rpms at near wfo it detonates every now and then. If it weren't for the occasional knocking I wouldn't change a thing.
Keep in mind that detonation need not be audible to be occurring and need not be audible to cause damage.

Regards,

Derek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:53 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

mxrob wrote:
AFR goes very high on a big bore engine under heavy load at low RPM.
This will be the case regardless of displacement unless the carburetor is sized inordinately small (relative to displacement and max RPM) or is a CV type.

Regards,

Derek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:14 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just shimmed the needle from 0.030 to 0.040" and installed new spark plugs while I was at it anyway. Most likely not necessary, the old ones came out as if 5 miles old. Latte coffee colored.

Took it for a spin and the engine actually feels very well mannered now. The slightly nervous feeling at a constant throttle (say, 40mph in 4th), is gone. It wasn't surging at these speeds, but it did feel like it wanted to lunge forward at the slightest touch of the throttle. Like some fuel injected bikes feel.

It's nice and soft now. Kind of boring lol

I could still have it detonate once or twice at really low speeds at WFO, but knowing my wife doesn't ride as idiotic as I do, I don't think it will ever happen. If this bike was mine, I'd order a TM-40 and be done. :s_biggrin As it's not mine and knowing my wife prefers a well behaved bike over the best possible throttle response, I'm leaving it like this. This bike is finished.

I'm slowly developing my bucket list for a new DR for myself for next year... :wacko: