www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:51 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rider from Norway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:05 pm 

So this is why my engine makes a BANG sometimes when I shut the motor off?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:20 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

If it's the issue - most likely.

I'd def get it checked out asap before it snaps the center cases.

2007 WR450

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:29 pm 

Humm... Just checked the price for the parts needed to fix the problem. But at the cost of doing this, it is cheaper for me to buy a used engine and swap it :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:54 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

phrode wrote:
Hi. I just bought my second XF650 1997 model. And from what I know, it is the same (electric, frame and motor) as the DR650.

Nice find! Most XFs and DRs over here are either dead (NSU screws, countershaft seal and the occasional 3rd blown gear) or in far from good condition as people who got them as budget bikes usually could not afford a garage.

2nd XF? What happened to the first one?

The XF and the DR have many differences despite almost identical overall architecture.
Engine wise, there is a different connecting rod (color: different mettalurgy treatment?), slightly different piston head, different cylinder head with bigger valves, different exhaust, double smaller carburetors with some solenoid valve controlled by a basic ECU along a a TPS sensor (not a plain CDI like the DR), and different air filter assembly. All to make the same dirt bike engine perform better in the higher rpm range for road use.

You MUST address the screws of the NSU (neutral sending unit, aka neutral switch) and add a countersprocket seal retainer and not much else (search the forum, I gues no upper chain guide to cut off like the DR). The rare blown 3rd gear cannot be addrressed without much costs and labor and it is a an odd occurrence. It looks like longer drive chain gearing increases the chance of a blown 3rd gear but no solid proof.

phrode wrote:
Kinda the cheaper verison of the BMW GS650 or the Aprillia 650.

Suzuki’s shot in the category was felt as too lukewarm and not competent enough vs these two competitors. The Funduro was a much bigger hit here due to ego-prestige reasons and larger bike feel on the road, a bit like a twin feeling single. My experience with the Strada version and the Dakar EFI GS was that the engine, despite much stronger pulling to my DR, always felt less fun in the twisties, no free revving feeling that I adore. Better on the open roads but why get a single cylinder bike for such use? The XF was reported as great handling but lacking in power for road use and the stricter smog regulations killed any Suzuki interest in developing it any more...
I wonder if making it a 790 could fix this :spiteful:

If you need any parts, my local breaker must have a couple of semi dissasmbled Freewinds in his inventory.

40 GOTO 10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

phrode wrote:
So this is why my engine makes a BANG sometimes when I shut the motor off?

Not necessarily... they still sometimes make quite a racket and spin the starter backwards even with the torque limiter in place. They just don't do it with the ferocity that snaps the shaft bosses on the centercase. Because of the year model of your machine it's likely that you do have the torque limiter. But knowing for sure would be a good thing. :good:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Well, my stupid question about Henning Kumle paid off. Oddly, I've googled him before with no results - years ago.

The Bunad (costume) website was him. He owns a traditional costume company - and a deer farm - with his wife. We've caught each other up on 40 years of life via email.

Hilarious.

Thx phrode.

2007 WR450