www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:42 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: first crash
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:14 pm 

So yesterday I had my first crash (on the DR 650 that I picked up about a month ago).

It happened on some double tracks - on which I was having a helluva good time on right up to the crash. Wet leaves, lost control and was heading towards a tree and laid it down.

I was fine and the bike was fine as well (other than some bent handle bar ends which are stock).

One question I have --

The bike was on its side for about a minute and then I smelled some gas that I figured was probably from the overfill holes.

When I lifted the bike back up and went to start it, I had to push the ignition several times, until it started. The last time I held down the ignition for probably at least 5 seconds until it started. Any ideas of what caused this? Also, is there any protocol for starting a bike after it falls over?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: first crash
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:20 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

When your machine was "resting" the carb was leaking fuel through the needle/main circuit into the venturi flooding the engine. Carbs with floats are not multiposition rated. :s_wink No harm, although you should check your air filter. If fuel was leaking into the airbox it will rinse the oil out of the foam. (or filter oil out of a K&N) :s_yes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:21 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Sounds like the carb flooded.

To clean it up you could keep the throttle at WFO for a few seconds while trying to start it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:36 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Max Kool wrote:
To clean it up you could keep the throttle at WFO for a few seconds while trying to start it.
That`s what I`ve been doing, seems to work faster than cranking away with throttle closed. Now for my question... is there a way to speed up the deflooding process in a kick-start only bike? Does draining the bowl save an unfortunate rider from dozens of kicks?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:43 pm 

Max Kool wrote:
Sounds like the carb flooded.

This is what I ended up doing after it wouldn't start initially and it worked like a charm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:55 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

smr310 wrote:
When I lifted the bike back up and went to start it, I had to push the ignition several times, until it started. The last time I held down the ignition for probably at least 5 seconds until it started. Any ideas of what caused this? Also, is there any protocol for starting a bike after it falls over?

Thanks

As suggested .... what happened is NORMAL. Next time ... HOLD throttle wide OPEN, bike in neutral, crank till it starts (don't let engine race once it catches!) If your bike is going to be on its side for a "while" :s_laughat you should turn off fuel petcock if you do not have stock vacuum type. Less flooding, easier starting.

Kick Start is the same: pull in de-comp lever and kick twenty times with wide open throttle to air out. Not sure about draining float bowl,
not a bad idea me thinks. But when you got the magic button ... just let it spin, it will start.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:16 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

DR Grifter wrote:
smr310 wrote:

Thanks

As suggested .... what happened is NORMAL. Next time ... HOLD throttle wide OPEN, bike in neutral, crank till it starts (don't let engine race once it catches!) If your bike is going to be on its side for a "while" :s_laughat you should turn off fuel petcock if you do not have stock vacuum type. Less flooding, easier starting.

Kick Start is the same: pull in de-comp lever and kick twenty times with wide open throttle to air out. Not sure about draining float bowl,
not a bad idea me thinks. But when you got the magic button ... just let it spin, it will start.

If your leg is suffering and you don't have a magic button, and you want to get it going a bit quicker, remove a spark plug, leave the key off, fuel off, wot and do as above for 20 kicks. It'll be much easier to kick with a plug removed. As mentioned above, you're trying to "dry it out" - flush all the excess fuel out of the cylinder. Replace the plug, turn key and fuel on, wot and go for it again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:08 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Thanks. So it`s the cylinder that gets flooded out more than the carb? Sorry about the detour, 310!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:13 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Dinsdale wrote:
[...]

If your leg is suffering and you don't have a magic button, and you want to get it going a bit quicker, remove a spark plug, leave the key off, fuel off, wot and do as above for 20 kicks. It'll be much easier to kick with a plug removed. As mentioned above, you're trying to "dry it out" - flush all the excess fuel out of the cylinder. Replace the plug, turn key and fuel on, wot and go for it again.

I have yet to see the first guy removing a spark plug on the trail just to clear a flooded bike. :wacko: Kicking it 10-20 times with the decompressor works just fine... (in most cases 5-6 kicks is already enough, at least on an XR400).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:20 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

bdesj wrote:
Thanks. So it`s the cylinder that gets flooded out more than the carb? Sorry about the detour, 310!

Yes its in the cylinder - the combustion area.
Only seems an issue with 4strokes.