www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:50 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: first crash
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The reason your bike takes longer to start is that your float bowl drains when the bike is on it's side. It can either drain from the airbox, or onto the ground. Not that big of a deal either way.

Since you have a vacuum-operated petcock, the float only fills when the engine is turning over, which takes a few seconds.

One way to negate this is to switch your petcock to prime if you ever tip your bike over. Your float bowl will fill in a few seconds, allowing your bike to start right away without cranking for what seems like forever.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:28 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Picard wrote:
One way to negate this is to switch your petcock to prime if you ever tip your bike over. Your float bowl will fill in a few seconds, allowing your bike to start right away without cranking for what seems like forever.
I don`t think so. When mine tips over even for a few seconds, I usually have to crank it quite a while. I don`t have the vac petcock on it, so the same as having stock petcock on prime. Like the guys on the previous page all said, opening the throttle all the way speeds it up but it still needs several revs to start up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

bdesj wrote:
Picard wrote:
I don`t think so. When mine tips over even for a few seconds, I usually have to crank it quite a while. I don`t have the vac petcock on it, so the same as having stock petcock on prime. Like the guys on the previous page all said, opening the throttle all the way speeds it up but it still needs several revs to start up.

Same here.
Straight gravity fuel feed, only the needle & seat to control fuel bowl filling.
That's why we don't twist the throttle when starting 4strokes (unless flooded).
2strokes like a big belly full of gas to fire up.