www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:38 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:58 pm 

This has been something on my mind for a month or so now, and think the time might have finally come - to sell my DR. I bought it with all the best intentions in the world of riding BDRs and the TAT, but the reality has come crashing down on my like a ton of bricks. That's not going to happen any time soon. I've put barely 500 miles on her in the six months I've owned her.

Couple that with a month of horrific bills that came out of the blue and were completely unexpected, and.. here I sit. The wife is in agreement that we need to raise funds somehow (rather than kicking the can down the road by loading the credit cards) but wants me to take some more time to think before parting with DeiRdre. Which I'll certainly do.

In the meantime... here's the deal. I’m the second owner – the PO used the bike as a commuter, but had a low speed getoff on the way home. As a result, one of the rear plastics is scuffed up, and there’s a scratch (cosmetic only) on the exhaust. But the down gave him the yips, and it sat in his garage unused for 2 years, until I found her. Picked her up for $4,000 and have invested another $3,000 since then making her TAT ready. (anything with a + is something I’ve done)

2011 Suzuki DR650
8,800 miles
Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank (also have the original)
+ Britannia Concepts Lynx fairing with upgraded lighting system
GSXR 650 muffler
Ricor Intiminators in front fork
Upgraded rear shock spring (set for 180lb rider with gear – also have the original)
+ Seat Concepts low seat (she’s a dualsport, so a bit tall – the lower seat helps massively with urban riding)
+ Procycle TM-40 pumper kit (also have the original carb)
+ Procycle 250w stator upgrade (also have the original)
+ Upgraded MOFSET voltage regulator
+ Apollo Heated Handgrips
+ Skaggs Moto Billet rear rack
+ Lockable/removable Caribou Case rear case
+ Dirtracks heavy duty side racks
+ Wolfman Expedition side bags
+ Barkbusters Storm Handguards
Protaper CR fat bars and risers
+ Relocated turn signals
+ Upgraded turn signals to LED
+ All panel bulbs upgraded to LED
Stainless Steel lines
Warp 9 levers
Aluminum skid plate
Supermoto front fender
NSU screws loctited
+ Kickstand switch mod
+ Clutch switch mod

Basically need to raise $6k to cover these bills (tax and medical). Think it's fair to ask that for this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:08 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

To be honest (since you asked), most of the farkles you added don't really add value in $$, just in usefulness (to you). You could try to sell the fairing, TM-40 and the Acerbis tank separately. Just like the side racks and Wolfman bags.

But even then raising 6k is a long shot imho.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:14 pm 

Yeah, I figured the fairing would be a stretch. So if it happens, I'll pop it off and sell it separately along with the bags. Will be giving it some thought over the next couple of weeks... and it's not the greatest time to be selling a bike either. Ugh...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:28 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Max Kool wrote:
To be honest (since you asked), most of the farkles you added don't really add value in $$, just in usefulness (to you). You could try to sell the fairing, TM-40 and the Acerbis tank separately. Just like the side racks and Wolfman bags.

Good luck!

+1

Selling off the farkles separately plan on getting around 50% of your money back and taking a while to do so.

Do you what to know how to turn $7,000 into $4,400+/-? You buy a $4,000 DR650 add $3,000 worth of farkles and then try to sell it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:59 pm 

PerazziMx14 wrote:
Max Kool wrote:

Good luck!

+1

Selling off the farkles separately plan on getting around 50% of your money back and taking a while to do so.

Do you what to know how to turn $7,000 into $4,400+/-? You buy a $4,000 DR650 add $3,000 worth of farkles and then try to sell it.

Haha, yep. Like I said, best of intentions...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:29 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

The best thing you can do is look at all the DR650's selling in your general area (within 100 miles of your zip code). Compare the miles, condition, farkles, etc. Then price yours below them in order to sell it quickly. A couple of hundred $$ less is enough to get buyer's attention.

Motorcycles just don't hold their value in the USA. And a brand new DR650 sells for $6,500 BEFORE any dealer discounts (if any). Your bike is 6+ years old and has been down. Those are all working against you. You can probably sell it quick for $3.5k.

I'm really sorry about the unexpected bills. It happens and you're doing the right thing by selling some assets to help offset the debt load.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:14 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Im with these guys. Put it as stock as possible and sell all the accessories seperate. I doubt you'll get near $6k trying to sell it all modded up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:24 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Dibs on the TM40... :biggrin:

Last edited by Levi on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It's a lovely bike ... sorry things haven't worked out ... so I guess the BMW in the pic above will be sold as well? :s_laughat

As suggested, I would sell off most of the Add Ons separately. Sadly, you paid a bit too much at $4000. Not horrible ... but just last week I saw some unbelievable deals on DR's here in the Bay Area. now ... they're mostly all sold off. I follow Craig's list every day.

The Rally fairing is an expensive bugger ... hope you can re-coup a few bucks on that ... but no one is paying near the new price.
The TM40 also a big hit, it will sell quick. I agree, once back to near stock plus a few farkles left on, I'd reach for $3500 to $4000.

Actually October is a FINE time to sell IMO ... or to buy.

Let us know when you get that new KTM 690 Rally! :drinks:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:54 am 

Sorry you have to sell the bike, looks like a well sorted DR!

If you do end up parting some things out, I'd take the barkbusters handguards and the TM40 carb. Possibly the stator also.