www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:26 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Montenegro
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:06 am 

Hello everyone, my name is Nenad, I am 36 years old guy, from Montenegro.
DR650 is my first bike, newer ride it anything before, and I am still trying to learn how to ride my DR. To be honest It's kind of scary.
For noob like me it looks like it have to much POWER :bumps: and unfortunately I am not enjoin it for now :blush:

I have fling that every time when I touch the throttle I am waking up some wild and blood thirsty velociraptor who looking at me with smile on his face and saying to me "dude is this fun or what" and I am thinking "no dude, is not fun, are you F.....g crazy, go slower, SLOWERRRR, we going to die, you maniac!".

Hope that feeling will change, and eventually I will start to enjoying riding it. Still don't planing to give away my dream of riding dual sport motorcycle.

I actually googlit and checked on youtube how to ride motorcycle, it's seams so easy on youtube, so imagine my surprise when I twist the throttle on parking lot when a guy who sell me bike bring it to me. O man that was surprise with big scary look on my face, I felt like I am catapulted, and yes I wonted DR so much that I actually bought it without any proper check, because I didn't know how to ride, I mean still don't know.

Any advice for novice like me will be highly appreciated, things like riding on clutch, is that good or bad for DR, or is it possible to do some mode on bike to have less power?

Thank you all in advance. Sorry on my grammatical mistakes, English is not my first language. And if here on forum is some section for first time motorcycle riders, maybe someone can send me link, I found first time DR650 riders section, but looking like they are already experienced riders who know what they are doing.

Thanks one more time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:46 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Welcome to the forum Nebooder! For your own safety find a motorcycle riding course, or school in your area to learn the basics of riding and safe habits. Taking lessons from a qualified motorcycle instructor would be best. Good luck and please let us know how it goes.
:lurk:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:16 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hey welcome to the asylum nebooder!

Btw, I always find the youtube channel from Kevin at MC rider very good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:12 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Nice to have you join us, Nenad. I agree if you can, find a class. If you can't or don't want to, here are a couple pointers (I'm by no means an expert, but think these may help.)

Practice a lot on your clutch control. When starting from a stop, let up on it slowly. The DR650 can start pretty quickly and can lift the front end pretty easily, but with practice you should be able to roll off the clutch in a nice slow start with no jerk.

From my motorcycle class, one thing they emphasized was to keep your throttle arm low. Pretty much elbow pretty close to level with the throttle. This helps minimize laying on more throttle when you are being pulled back from acceleration.

One other item from the class, was turning at speed. This seemed wrong to me first, but once you get up to speed, turn by pushing forward on the grip on the side you are turning. Press the left grip forward to turn left, and right grip forward for right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlc1bGPTR3c This is just one of the first videos I found on countersteering.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:33 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

:howdy:

As others have said, find some professional instruction. One on one feedback from someone who knows is invaluable. Watching utube has its uses, but you may think you are doing it when you are not. Someone telling you is what you need.

However, keep your head up, relax, look for where you want to be, as soon as you can see that look further for where you want to be, look for what you can't see. Head up, eyeline horizontal, relax.

The catch 22 of motorcycling, 'It won't feel good until you relax, but you can't relax until it feels good'.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:42 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Welcome to DRRiders.com Nenad! :howdy: If you can't find a local training class for motorcycle riding do the next best thing. Go to a local shop or motorcycle hangout and ask for some help. I can't imagine any motorcycle rider not being willing to help out a noobie rider. None of us want to see you, or any other new rider, seriously hurt from just not knowing basic control information about their machine. Good luck and enjoy your new two wheeled freedom. :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:26 pm 

Thanks for welcoming me guys, and finding time to give me some advice's.
Unfortunately motorcycling community in my country is very small, and there is no any kind of safe riding schools or curses.
You basically get motorcycle licence after riding scooter of 200cc, for approximately 10h, ten days of one hour of riding each day, all together with practicing 8 figure in that 10h, and that is it.
One more time thanks :good:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:29 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Welcome! Montenegro is beautiful. I'd love to ride through there some day when I retire!

I actually learned how to up my off road skill by watching You Tube videos and then practicing. Can do the same for street riding too though videos can't replace a good teacher/instructor.