www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:18 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi from Sun diego!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:25 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Long time rider (Street and Dirt), very indiscriminate of brands (owned Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducatir, Harley, Buell, BMW, KTM... and a few more) and very much into long distance adventure riding.

Life long highlight was a 3 months, 16500 mile trip through the western US, Canaland and Alaska in 2099... usually I do a yearly 10+ state and 4500 plus mile trip that leads to a BMW rally (Top of the Rockies) in Colorado... either going there the long way or coming back the long way.

Seeing how the GS can be a little cumbersome on the "roads" we tend to ride (the less recognizable as a road, the better) when fully loaded, I have decided that next year's trip will be done on a DR650. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, actually, my regular riding partner is still waiting to see whether I can get "all my crap" on the DR...

Anyway, wanted to say hi and my current stable is a 2005 (non-ABS) 12GS, a 2007 YZ250F ans the 2012 DR650 for the time being. Sold all the "go-fast" bikes, after getting one too many awards...

Post subject: Re: Hi from Sun diego!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:48 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

signit98 wrote:
Long time rider (Street and Dirt), very indiscriminate of brands (owned Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducatir, Harley, Buell, BMW, KTM... and a few more) and very much into long distance adventure riding.

Life long highlight was a 3 months, 16500 mile trip through the western US, Canaland and Alaska in 2099... usually I do a yearly 10+ state and 4500 plus mile trip that leads to a BMW rally (Top of the Rockies) in Colorado... either going there the long way or coming back the long way.

Seeing how the GS can be a little cumbersome on the "roads" we tend to ride (the less recognizable as a road, the better) when fully loaded, I have decided that next year's trip will be done on a DR650. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, actually, my regular riding partner is still waiting to see whether I can get "all my crap" on the DR...

Anyway, wanted to say hi and my current stable is a 2005 (non-ABS) 12GS, a 2007 YZ250F ans the 2012 DR650 for the time being. Sold all the "go-fast" bikes, after getting one too many awards...

Welcome to DRRiders.com time traveler! :sarcastic: Sounds like you have some setup work to do on the DR for next years trip. Should be an interesting read. :lurk: Lot's of info posted here for you to get ideas on setup. :good:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

:howdy:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:23 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Welcome to the forum Singnit98! If you'd like the owners or service manual in PDF format PM me for the links. :s_yes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:46 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Bike is already mostly in pieces and I am going through the list of things to do, according to the "must do" list... bearings, grease, NSU, etc.

Have a big tank coming, fork springs, oil and will make appropriate spacers, once I'm in there... the bike came with an Ohlins rear shock that has the correct spring rate for my weight and also has a good bash plate alreay.

Probably going with the FMF Q4 and the airbox mod (have done that setup on my DRZ's several times, easy enough), going to put a 14 tooth front sprocket on there and then put it all back together... while I am at it, I will put a handle bar on for good measure and somewhere in the garage, I have a H4 HID conversion kit...

As I come closer to the trip, I'll put some racks on and probably go with the Moose adventure dry saddle bags and my Saddlemen bag. On the GS I can carry a lot of luxury items, that will have to change, but I'll be fine... I think. I also have some screens around which I'll try to make a fairing out of...

Yeah, get the popcorn out...

Oh yeah. While I love the idea of exploring this world on a thumper, I am not quite sure I'll be able to pull 700+ mile days on one... but we'll see. THAT, however, is not very hard on the GS.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:12 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Sounds like you have a great history and a handle on the DR. I'm in East SD County (RSD/Jamul) so if ya need any specialty tools or just bend an ear re the DR, let me know.

Yeah, it won't be as luxurious as a GS, but plenty have done big miles - including a buddy who did Denver - Tucson - SD - all in one "sitting" to bust 1000 miles in 24 hours.

Some sites I've found helpful.

http://shortwayround.co.uk/suzuki/

http://ertw2015.wixsite.com/ertw

http://jamminglobal.com/

http://justdr650.com/

Welcome.

2007 WR450

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:11 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hi and welcome to the DRRiders forum :s_smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:28 am 

signit98 wrote:
I am not quite sure I'll be able to pull 700+ mile days on one... but we'll see. THAT, however, is not very hard on the GS.

700 miles? I havent seen 700+ mile days in a long time..........heck I can barely get to Vegas on the Goldwing without my crotch getting numb......your tougher than me!

Not much experience with the latest generation DR but my 93 has 117000 miles and still pulls harder than a friend's 2007. (engine rebuild at 105000 miles).

Welcome! I'm in El Cajon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

knappyfeet wrote:

700 miles? I havent seen 700+ mile days in a long time..........

I usually have one of those during my yearly long trip. I try to avoid them, but honestly, going from here to Colorado means some miles of boredom, any which way I choose.

With the DR, I can turn to a more "direct" approach, using "roads" that miss piggy just doesn't like too much... actually, miss piggy doesn't really care... it is me who is not fond of moving that heft around on loose ground for extended (hundreds of miles) periods of time.

So, as mentioned before... we shall see what the DR can do for me in that regard.

Yesterday I took the rear swing arm off and greased all the little needle bearings I could find... and it seemed they needed it. Cleaned up along the way and fixed all the little rust spots and paint chips... may as well.

Wheel bearings are changed and the front end is next. I was sick for a few days, so nothing got done... now I am at it again.

My new exhaust will come in today and I figure by next week, she'll be up and running again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:04 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Thanks for the update, and your progress is anxiously awaited :lurk: