www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:10 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:51 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

At least you didn't do it in front of cops like I did. Pants leg hung on foot peg at stop sign. joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:11 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I deployed (or thought I deployed) my side stand once on my Victory Vision. Dismounted and walked away.... then I heard a “crunch” behind me... the side stand never locked in place.

Thank god that bike had tip over bars built into it. No damage. :2_thumbsup:

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!

2012 DR650SE
2015 Honda F6B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:47 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

PerazziMx14 wrote:
There is a fix for the side stand so you never have to worry with deploying it ever again. In fact this fix is so effective you don't even have to remember to put you feet down at stop signs.

The only exception to this is the Flintstone mobile. :s_rofl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:53 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Well , --- my embarrassing episode did not entail the side-stand at all BUT left me looking pretty foolish anyway ! --- I had made it a habit to employ my disc-lock (at the front-brake) when-ever I parked my pet for any length of time . --- When I emerged (from the mall) I "spied" some "interesting" individuals (in mini-skirts) nearby and "some-how" got distracted . I smiled at them and said HELLO . --- Upon straddling my "steed" I unlocked the steering , started the engine and engaged 1st gear . --- *** --- Let's just say that I went right over top of the handle-bar and ended up under the bike . --- The girls shrieked and walked away . --- Crawling out , from under the bike , was not as difficult as trying to hide my face . --- The "damage" to my ego was worse than the scratches to my bike . --- Even now , decades later , I remember to "circle-check" the putt-putt before pulling away ! :blush:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:31 pm 
DRRiders Technical Documentation Expert

E9999 wrote:
first one was legit.

This one, well, like... errr.... after a long time without riding, don't forget to put out the sidestand when you get off the bike in the Costco parking lot... ! :blush:

But if you do, keep your helmet on so nobody knows who the idiot is... ! :s_cool
What - no photo? :dirol:

Threewheelbonnie:
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

My DR650 technical photos (but none of the cool stories that go with 'em), FEEL FREE TO COPY AND SHARE: http://er70s-2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:12 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

38 DKW wrote:
Well , --- my embarrassing episode did not entail the side-stand at all BUT left me looking pretty foolish anyway ! --- I had made it a habit to employ my disc-lock (at the front-brake) when-ever I parked my pet for any length of time . --- When I emerged (from the mall) I "spied" some "interesting" individuals (in mini-skirts) nearby and "some-how" got distracted . I smiled at them and said HELLO . --- Upon straddling my "steed" I unlocked the steering , started the engine and engaged 1st gear . --- *** --- Let's just say that I went right over top of the handle-bar and ended up under the bike . --- The girls shrieked and walked away . --- Crawling out , from under the bike , was not as difficult as trying to hide my face . --- The "damage" to my ego was worse than the scratches to my bike . --- Even now , decades later , I remember to "circle-check" the putt-putt before pulling away ! :blush:

:CSpit: Reminds me of my mate Butch.

So picture this:
Nice warm summer's day,
Beach,
Giggling high school girls in bikinis,
Butch, sitting on the big mutha Yamaha TX650, is laying down a decent line of chat.
Butch goes for a kickstart.
(No battery cause money in the early 70's isn't very abundant for us high school kids)
So Butch, all 90 pounds of him, lays on the kickstarter.
Kapow goes the big twin.
Over the handle bars goes Butch. :s_biggrin
Girls depart, still giggling.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:17 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

TrophyHunter wrote:
If you made it outta Costco under $100, the tipover never happened.

I rarely - if ever - make it out of there under $300 and that is at least 3 times a week...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:44 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

many years ago and before I had good sense..

I rode my Honda 650 to the bar to meet friends for fun and games, and I told myself no drinking. Well somehow I ended up imbibing in a few adult beverages and when time to leave arrived I felt confident I could take my trusty steed home. Full face Bell helmet ( a hand me down came with the bike ) Leather Biker jacket because it was cool and bad ass :-) Jeans and leather boots to complete the bad ass look.. So off I go down a Florida curvy road ( read that as straight as an arrow) Ease through the gears and all is well.. Red light ahead slowly down shift and ease on brakes all is good stop and well suddenly I am laying on my right side still clutching the handle bars. ala Arty Johnson of Laugh In fame.. This was when I remembered that my feet are supposed to leave the pegs and go to the ground to avoid this.. So being the smart man I am I push the bike off road into a parking lot to walk the rest of the way home, as clearly I should not be on my steed. While I stumble down the side of a well used two lane road I have many people honk their horns and wave at me. Figure some may know me and are just being friendly. Once at home inside I see myself in the entry mirror and seems I was still wearing said full face helmet jacket and all while stumbling home. I figure the honks were at my expense for this poor drunk helmet wearer walking late at night.

I did learn my lesson that night.

DR related swinging my leg over seat seems I drug my leg some and we started falling away from me going all the way to the ground, I was able to just step over my poor girl who went down hard. and yes this was with an audience..

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:51 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

ummm, pondering that incident again, I was pretty lucky actually. One thing I just remembered is that -unusual for Costco- there was an empty parking spot on my left so when the bike threw me I ended up -literally- rolling across that parking spot. Had the spot not been empty I would have been thrown at the vehicle there and probably dented its body -or mine-. At least I still had my helmet on. But picture the discussion with the insurance when describing why there is now the outline of a helmet in the other guy's door... Yikes! :biggrin:
Good thing also is that I was so pumped I jumped to my feet and just righted that sucker up in 2 seconds flat...

2005 DR650SE. 4.9L IMS. Opened airbox. Dynojet 160 main jet, DJ needle 4th notch from top, 42.5 fuel pilot jet, 1.0 air pilot jet, OEM air filter, Kientech extended pilot screw 2 turns out for now. Q2 muffler, ground header weld. Kenda medium knobbies. Lightweight goodies. Sitting too much...