www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:54 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Hi there!
First post and quick introduction.

Recently purchased a 2011 DR650
Love it
Owner did lots of fun mods and such
Know almost nothing about mechanics of bikes but learning.
First dual.. Only street bikes before, old CB, old Beemer, R65
10+ years riding/non riding time

I have researched a lot, seen many threads on this, so I wanted to give my engine relates mod list, and see if I could get anyone's take on my (rather low) milage.
Again, I know there are lots of threads on this, but of course there are a ton of different combinations of factors to influence milage.

Here's mine!

I'm getting about 80 miles from engine totally full, to running out on freeway and having to switch to reserve. Once 84 miles, once only 80.
Admittedly, driving it hard. Bike is new, get excited to almost lift the front tire hitting the gas when the signal turns green, pushing between 60-90mph pretty steady (actual 55-85mph according to my Waze app). I won't always drive like this, just enjoying the extra juice after riding a 350 for a while.
If my math is right, that's only about 35mpg. I've seen some people say they are getting around 60 which seems impossible to me.
Pretty sure it's not running rich. Bike needs a brief choke to start, more of course when cooler.
I'm kind of a warm up nazi, so no matter what the outside temp is, I give a good five min at least idle before I take off
On a Cali tank, 3.2gal instead of 3.4.
FMF power bomb and power core 4 installed
Pro cycle jet kit, slide drilled, upgraded needle
Arizona carb installed to bail the smog regulation, and lighten up the bike.
Twin air filter
Airbox mod

Do about 30 miles daily, 90% freeway.

Tire pressure good, no brake weirdness
Chain seems good, not too much sag, not too stiff
91 octane always
No leaks of oil or gas that I can find

12k on the bike when I bought it.

Any input is appreciated!

Thx.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:45 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I got about the same on a stock Cali tank until switching to reserve (80-90 miles), but never filled up more than 1.8 gallons at that point.

I did notice fuel consumption goes up noticeably right around 65-70 mph.

That said, there is a chance you bike is running too rich right around where you use it the most, the needle position. You could, step by step, lower it until you get into the surging zone, and go one step back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:53 pm 
DRRiders Technical Documentation Expert

^^ What Max said.

You can remove the choke cable at the carb and make sure the cable slides freely and plunger slides freely. Careful, the nut is plastic.

Threewheelbonnie:
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

My DR650 technical photos (but none of the cool stories that go with 'em), FEEL FREE TO COPY AND SHARE: http://er70s-2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:19 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Thx guys. I actually wrote that I didn't think it was running too lean, I made a mistake. Meant to say I didn't think too rich, but worth looking into. However, if the mileage seems realistic going by the way I'm driving it (according to Max Cool), then perhaps I shouldn't worry about it?
Also, the mods on there would def suck up a bit more gas than stock from what I've read, right? I've read some conflicting info on that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Use 86 or 87 octane. 91 is a waste.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I get 60 or even a little more on a good tank, usually mid 50s. I believe I`m more the exception than the rule though. 35-ish even for low elevation hard rider should be improvable IMO. I`m a long ways from a carb guru, so just suggest following what the other guys say in that respect. 5 minutes warm up every time might be a small part of your trouble too, especially if you are making a lot of short trips- I take off as soon as mine will run without choke and just go easy on it for the first few minutes. Also agree with Perazzi, don`t waste you money pumping 91 gas into it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:41 pm 
DRRiders Technical Documentation Expert

I never warm mine up, I'm geared up when I start it and take off as soon as it will take throttle which is almost immediately. Choke gets turned off within 1 or 2/10ths of a mile. I ride gently until I get some heat in the moving parts.

Threewheelbonnie:
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

My DR650 technical photos (but none of the cool stories that go with 'em), FEEL FREE TO COPY AND SHARE: http://er70s-2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycling

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:18 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

650Blackout wrote:
Hi there!
First post and quick introduction.

Recently purchased a 2011 DR650
Love it
Owner did lots of fun mods and such
Know almost nothing about mechanics of bikes but learning.
First dual.. Only street bikes before, old CB, old Beemer, R65
10+ years riding/non riding time

I have researched a lot, seen many threads on this, so I wanted to give my engine relates mod list, and see if I could get anyone's take on my (rather low) milage.
Again, I know there are lots of threads on this, but of course there are a ton of different combinations of factors to influence milage.

Here's mine!

I'm getting about 80 miles from engine totally full, to running out on freeway and having to switch to reserve. Once 84 miles, once only 80.
Admittedly, driving it hard. Bike is new, get excited to almost lift the front tire hitting the gas when the signal turns green, pushing between 60-90mph pretty steady (actual 55-85mph according to my Waze app). I won't always drive like this, just enjoying the extra juice after riding a 350 for a while.
If my math is right, that's only about 35mpg. I've seen some people say they are getting around 60 which seems impossible to me.
Pretty sure it's not running rich. Bike needs a brief choke to start, more of course when cooler.
I'm kind of a warm up nazi, so no matter what the outside temp is, I give a good five min at least idle before I take off
On a Cali tank, 3.2gal instead of 3.4.
FMF power bomb and power core 4 installed
Pro cycle jet kit, slide drilled, upgraded needle
Arizona carb installed to bail the smog regulation, and lighten up the bike.
Twin air filter
Airbox mod

Do about 30 miles daily, 90% freeway.

Tire pressure good, no brake weirdness
Chain seems good, not too much sag, not too stiff
91 octane always
No leaks of oil or gas that I can find

12k on the bike when I bought it.

Any input is appreciated!

Thx.

91 Octane is a waste in a low-compression naturally-aspirated engine, especially with a freer-flowing exhaust installed.

I fire my DRs up and let oil circulate for a few seconds, then ride out as soon as the bike will take throttle smoothly.

Your poor MPG could be throttle hand and/or riding habits. It could also be bad O-rings or rich tune in the carb. A brake caliper could also be sticking, or your chain could be stiff too, but you said something to the effect that those potentials had been ruled out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:17 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Quote:
91 Octane is a waste in a low-compression naturally-aspirated engine, especially with a freer-flowing exhaust installed.

I fire my DRs up and let oil circulate for a few seconds, then ride out as soon as the bike will take throttle smoothly.

Your poor MPG could be throttle hand and/or riding habits. It could also be bad O-rings or rich tune in the carb. A brake caliper could also be sticking, or your chain could be stiff too, but you said something to the effect that those potentials had been ruled out.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's not too rich, but I'm certainly no expert. I looked up the procedure for messing with the needle, but it was a little more intense than I'd hoped. Not quite ready to start yanking things apart yet.

From what I understand, (in layman's speak), if the mix is roughly correct, the engine should sound strong at idle, but almost a little unsteady, right? Like you don't want a perfect even idle that doesn't sputter a tad here and there, right? But it also shouldn't be gasping for dear life, and stalling out super easy. You should here the idle fluctuate a bit, and even dip a hair into almost stalling from time to time, esp when cold.
Would you say that's correct?

The performance of the bike is sweet. When I hit the gas hard in first, I have to clinch down tight on the handles so I don't go flying off the back, the bike hums at 80mph no prob with plenty of room left to go faster, it feels confidant and agile on the freeway, and runs as steady as you could ask for. The gas mileage is the only thing that has me wondering. Also, the.tinyntank makes me think about it more, haha.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:21 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I have a Cali bike also. Our bikes have 2.8 gallons before it goes on Reserve.

My bike has slightly bit more modifications than yours does…side open air box as well as top of the box cut out; Full exhaust (FMF Powerbomb & Leo Vince X3 muffler. The BST40 has been jetted to 155 main.

On a normal 300 mile romp across the canyons, mountains, and freeways of Socal I’ll get an average of between 47 mpg to 52 mpg. That’s riding it at 80+ on the freeways and quite a few WOT passes in the canyons. The lowest I’ve seen was 46 and the highest 64 mpg when I was forced to ride like a H-D! LOL!

So your bike is most certainly running somewhat rich and wasting fuel somewhere.

Start with your idle. After riding it until the engine is up to normal temp, adjust the idle to around 1500-1600RPM. Then adjust the Pilot Mixture screw by turning it in until the engine begins to run rough. Then back it out until it smooths out. Back it out just a smidgen again (maybe 1/8 of a turn). After that, test the bike out at least two tankfulls of normal mixed riding and see what average you come out to be.