www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:39 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Went down - total loss
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:40 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

It's been almost a week, but here's the story if anyone is interested. I left work early for a doctors appointment. Traffic wasn't too bad, but I was still passing cars. A guy in a silver f150 wouldn't let me pass so I stayed behind him. Traffic started to slow so I tried to pass again, he basically smacked me off the road and then took off on the shoulder. Shattered my ankle, tibia exposed and sanded down from the pavement. I now have a steel rod in my leg with 9 bolts and screws. Currently just trying to prevent infection to prevent amputation.

Anyway, confirmed today with Geico that the bike is totaled. They are towing it to my house so I can swap out the parts with the OEM. I haven't seen the bike so I don't know what parts are still good, but here is a list. I will update with pictures once I'm home from the hospital, which will likely be in a few days.

Polisport halo headlight - gloss black with LED bulb
[url]Polisport Halo Headlight - Black 8657400002 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QTC5L4/re ... WzbX963Q8Y[/url]
[url]Auxbeam LED Headlights F-16 Series H7 LED Headlight Bulbs with 2Pcs of headlights 60W 6000lm CREE LED Chips Fog Light - 1 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G16BTF6/re ... WzbJ2XST1V[/url]

FMF powerbomb header and FMF powercore 4 pipe with Spark arrest

TM40 pumper carb

Clarke tank 3.7 gal - gloss black

Full DSA concept fairings - gloss black

DID VX2 gold chain 520x110L - new in box

K&N air filter

Or, I can buy back the bike and sell it as is. Again, I'm still in the hospital but will keep everyone posted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Glad you are alright.

Hopefully this thread will not degrade into an exercise of finger pointing at who's to blame but rather just stay positive about your recovery and what bike you're getting next.

Here's to a speedy recovery :good:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:28 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Dammit brother! I am glad you are still with us. Maybe someone saw the accident and got the tag number of the sorry ass perp! Hope you heal up well and keep you damaged leg!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:34 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

All the best on your recovery. This has to come first. Get 2nd opinions before surgeries. Sounds like they've already inserted hardware,
hopefully everything has been aligned properly and sterile technique in the OR was good.

I had a compound Tib/Fib, 2 botched operations ...3rd time they finally got it right. Ti plate, lots of screws. I made full recovery. Hope you can do the same. 5 surgeries in all, over 2 year recovery time.

I hope Police find the Pick Up truck perp ... hope you have a witness or two? :scratch:

By the sound of it, could be attempted manslaughter or assault with a deadly weapon. If anyone can verify your version of events you will get a very nice pay out ... and hopefully perp will be behind bars. Screw a fine ... not good enough. He deserves Jail.

If the bike's repairable and you still want it ... may not be too hard to put it back on the road, get it inspected and buy back from insurance company. Not sure on how hard or expensive it may be to insure a Salvage titled vehicle.
Anyone done this in California?

but ... remember ... BODY FIRST, BIKE SECOND!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:43 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Dang!!! :aggressive:

get well man, this sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:03 pm 

Hope you have a fast recovery and everything gets sorted out.
I bought a Sena Tube camera for this very thing, but haven't used it much.
After reading this thread, I'm going to start!
Hope everything goes well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:08 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DR Grifter wrote:
All the best on your recovery. This has to come first. Get 2nd opinions before surgeries. Sounds like they've already inserted hardware,
hopefully everything has been aligned properly and sterile technique in the OR was good.

I had a compound Tib/Fib, 2 botched operations ...3rd time they finally got it right. Ti plate, lots of screws. I made full recovery. Hope you can do the same. 5 surgeries in all, over 2 year recovery time.

I hope Police find the Pick Up truck perp ... hope you have a witness or two? :scratch:

By the sound of it, could be attempted manslaughter or assault with a deadly weapon. If anyone can verify your version of events you will get a very nice pay out ... and hopefully perp will be behind bars. Screw a fine ... not good enough. He deserves Jail.

If the bike's repairable and you still want it ... may not be too hard to put it back on the road, get it inspected and buy back from insurance company. Not sure on how hard or expensive it may be to insure a Salvage titled vehicle.

So a big a payout and throw the guy in jail. Most likely if the driver of the truck was at fault has minimal or no insurance so he can be sued and a judgment levied against him and his estate. That in turn will state he owes you a percentage of his income per week/month. When my BOT got out of prison last April the hourly pay was something like $0.75 per hour. So if you get generous 33% of his income he'd have to work 30,000 to cover $10,000 in debt. Plus you paid your attorney upfront so in the end where is your big payout. You can't pay a mortgage, bills or buy food with a court judgment.

I am in no way saying responsible people should not be held accountable. But you have to pick and choose your battles.

If the OP chooses to pursue this path the 1st thing he should do is remove all his accident specific and injury content in this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:15 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Thanks everyone for the wishes. I'll get into more detail on exactly what happened.

In cali, lane sharing is legal if done safely. The biker cannot split at speeds over 10mph faster than traffic. When I was splitting, the f150 driver stayed extremely close to the semi In the other lane, so I waited. Finally when I got the chance, i got through, but only to have him try to squeeze me through. When I was next to him, my gopro was on and captured everything. 3 construction workers. Driver looked Mexican with a buzzed head. I was in lane 1, he was in lane 2. He continued to go into my lane and laugh and say stuff as I kept my gopro focused on him. I remained calm and let him get in front of me. He stayed in front of me for a good 5 miles. Finally, traffic began to slow, so I took the chance to pass him. That's when he took the opportunity to smash into me. Had I known he was that aggressive, I would've never tried to pass. Once he struck me, the bike flipped and I went down face first. The first thing to contact the ground was my gopro. Destroyed it completely. Several witnesses at the scene. The memory chip in the gopro was even destroyed and full of debris from the road.

Police have not even tried to contact me after I was admitted to the hospital. And, I personally feel so overwhelmed that I just want to remain positive, focus on my recovery, and move forward. I refuse to let him control any party of my life. I have no resentment and I am just happy to be alive.

Regarding my injuries, my ortho surgeon has talked to me a good amount and i am extremely confident in his work. He said there is no way to get the first surgery 100% correct the first time. It's an ongoing process. The biggest concern being that a few bones were shaved down significantly, so it's hard to tell what else will be needed. Once I heal up a bit and attempt to walk, then the next surgery will tweak my bones further and further until I get it where it needs to be. I am honestly more concerned about amputation, but I know even if I were to lose my foot, I would be no where near giving up. I am an extreme gym rat, and I refuse to let a lost limb stop me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:30 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Serious, lawyer up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:31 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

PerazziMx14 wrote:
DR Grifter wrote:

So a big a payout and throw the guy in jail. Most likely if the driver of the truck was at fault has minimal or no insurance so he can be sued and a judgment levied against him and his estate. That in turn will state he owes you a percentage of his income per week/month. When my BOT got out of prison last April the hourly pay was something like $0.75 per hour. So if you get generous 33% of his income he'd have to work 30,000 to cover $10,000 in debt. Plus you paid your attorney upfront so in the end where is your big payout. You can't pay a mortgage, bills or buy food with a court judgment.

I am in no way saying responsible people should not be held accountable. But you have to pick and choose your battles.

If the OP chooses to pursue this path the 1st thing he should do is remove all his accident specific and injury content in this thread.

The only payout I'm getting is for the totaled bike. I did not have uninsured motorist coverage. I cannot return to work until next year. My disability did successfully start though, but it will only be a percentage of my pay. I reached my out of pocket Max on my health insurance just from The first day, so I should be good the rest of the year.

Money is always good, but it's not what would truly make me happy. I have my family and friends here with me at the hospital and that's all I really need is their support.