www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:53 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:21 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

advbedouin wrote:
Hang tough Steve & heal up soon! I'm glad to hear the forks are lookin straight & you're keeping the bike as it'll let you upgrade the blinkers...eBay & partzilla will help ya get any other incidentals..those fat bars are incredibly strong so no surprise they're not bent. Karma will catch up & smack that SOB down someday.

Thank you, brother. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:04 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

PerazziMx14 wrote:
Scuuuba_Steve wrote:
PerazziMx14 wrote:
Putting $2700 in pocket and keeping the bike is the way to go even if the frame is bent. You can sell the motor for more than $500 and keep your carb, wheels and other good parts for the next DR. Or sell all the good parts and take the profits and the $2700 and upgrade to something different.

Out of curiosity what if any gear were you wearing?

I checked the frame thoroughly and see no damage at all. Not even scrape marks. I dint think the frame made any contact with the pavement.

I try to always wear gear to work, but that day I knew I'd leave work early, and there was a heat wave in San Diego, pushing 110+ degrees, so I wore jeans and a button up flannel with gauntlet gloves, riding boots, and helmet.

The flannel shirt and jeans are about as useless as shorts and a tank top but interesting enough all you injuries seem to be local to where you had the most protection.

Right. Well, I have sutures and staples down some parts of my arms and legs, but theyre not that serious.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:17 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Scuuuba_Steve wrote:
I guess I will be going over the bike to double check those big areas, like the right fork tube and swing arm. All I seen on the swing arm was a very small dent/scratch, but I guess that does count as damage that needs to be repaired. I don't feel like it would be dangerous to ride on it though. Anyone know how to check the "fork tube outer"? Is that just the fork? I don't see anything wrong with it.

A scrape, dent or scratch on your swing arm is harmless, no problem riding.

With the fork, depends where scratch or scrape is. Most likely not an issue IF the fork is not BENT. If bent, tube can be replaced or straightened. I would not make any decision until you are more fully recovered and can assess situation yourself in person. I'm sure insurance company will cut you slack on this ... but if your bike is in an impound ... they they may BONE YOU with storage charges!
Insurance may cover a few days ... not sure on that.

Heal up! :crutch:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:23 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Here are the two damages that the claim adjuster found. If these are the only serious damages then I will keep the bike. The adjuster told me I have by Monday to decide so I really need to look into this now.

Can anyone tell me how to check the steering head for damage?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:44 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hope the healing is still proceeding well.
Look for any cracks or distortions and then ride it and see how it feels.
With the tank and seat off, have a good look at the frame in general. Sometimes the frame can be bent in places further back you wouldn't think possible.

How's that infection risk going?
Tee Tree oil https://articles.mercola.com/herbal-oils/tea-tree-oil.aspx is a proven anti bacterial for problem MRSAs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:26 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Check for chipped paint around the head bearing area of the bike. The frame usually bends just behind it where the reinforcement gussets and down tubes meet, on a front end impact.. This is a tell tell sign of frame damage. Manuka Honey is really good against infections too. Heal well brother!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:57 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Scuuuba_Steve wrote:
Insurance offered me 3200 for the bike with all parts on it, or I can keep the bike for 2800. My boy just came over and we did a run down of everything. Bike started up perfectly normal. Right blinkers work, left does not. The only damage we could find was

Headlight
Minor damage to some wires on harness behind headlight
Speedometer smashed
Minor damage to indicators
Wheel moves with little pressure while holding onto handlebars

That last one is my biggest concern as I'm not really a wrench head. I'm thinking I'm going to keep the bike for $500, and fix it back up.anyone know the seriousness of the wheel/handlebar misaligned?

Scuuba_Steve, good grief man! I'm so sorry. I don't know you personally but I'm practically your neighbor here (Orange County, CA). I know the roads you ride in, and I sure hope you heal up asap. I also hope the guy on that F150 gets what's coming to him. Now I'll be looking at any white F150 in the SD area with some suspicion!

$3200 cash for your DR is a good deal. Are they also paying for your riding gear?

If you're not mechanically inclined and don't have the tools, take the money instead and avoid rebuilding that bike. In fact, just take the money whether or not your are mechanically inclined. You can easily take that $3k and put down on an all new bike (DR650; GSXS750; XS700; SV650) and you're already half way into paying the whole thing off. It's a way better deal than spending more to rebuild a very broken bike that you may or may not be 100% sure can be brought back to the way it was before you went down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:18 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

damn steve - best wishes on a full recovery, i also know the risky business in lane splitting with sometimes angry drivers.

just wondering what type of footwear/pants you were wearing?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:58 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

DesertRogue wrote:

If you're not mechanically inclined and don't have the tools, take the money instead and avoid rebuilding that bike. In fact, just take the money whether or not your are mechanically inclined. You can easily take that $3k and put down on an all new bike (DR650; GSXS750; XS700; SV650) and you're already half way into paying the whole thing off. It's a way better deal than spending more to rebuild a very broken bike that you may or may not be 100% sure can be brought back to the way it was before you went down.

+1

Hope you are healing!!!