www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:53 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:09 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

All you need to know now if the chassis is straight. Apart from that you can easily fix this under 2700 bucks imho. Or take it apart and sell it off in parts if you have some patience.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:09 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

From looking at the Photos, looks to me like the forks are well bent?? Could also be damage to steering head and frame area too from the HIT. If Steering head is damaged or other damage in that area I would give up on the bike now. Take the pay out.

Someone who knows what they are looking at needs to really give it a close inspection before you make the decision. There are several tell tales to clue you to damage ... or not.

If it's JUST bent forks .... with no other serious damage .... then I'd keep it. You can find good, straight used forks here on this forum for not too much money. Totally worth it. But if you have frame issues ... tricky to make right.

Also, more than likely both UPPER and LOWER triple clamps are also bent. So more money to spend for those parts.
Good LUCK! :drinks:

Anyone else see the bent forks? I sure do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:02 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Putting $2700 in pocket and keeping the bike is the way to go even if the frame is bent. You can sell the motor for more than $500 and keep your carb, wheels and other good parts for the next DR. Or sell all the good parts and take the profits and the $2700 and upgrade to something different.

Out of curiosity what if any gear were you wearing?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:31 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

DR Grifter wrote:
From looking at the Photos, looks to me like the forks are well bent?? Could also be damage to steering head and frame area too from the HIT. If Steering head is damaged or other damage in that area I would give up on the bike now. Take the pay out.

Someone who knows what they are looking at needs to really give it a close inspection before you make the decision. There are several tell tales to clue you to damage ... or not.

If it's JUST bent forks .... with no other serious damage .... then I'd keep it. You can find good, straight used forks here on this forum for not too much money. Totally worth it. But if you have frame issues ... tricky to make right.

Also, more than likely both UPPER and LOWER triple clamps are also bent. So more money to spend for those parts.
Good LUCK! :drinks:

Anyone else see the bent forks? I sure do.

I don't believe the forks are bent. The dust covers have always looked wobbly like that, causing the appearance of bent forks. I really like your advice though. With my ankle being out for months, I want to be sure this investment will be worth it for me. I'll have physical therapy for years to come, so I doubt I'd be able to spend much time on self repairs. It's just not practical right now. If it's a quick and easy fix, I'll take it. Otherwise I'll get rid of it. Is there anyone in the San Diego area that can come by and help me out and check it out? We can set an agreed price beforehand. Please PM me if able. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:34 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

PerazziMx14 wrote:
Putting $2700 in pocket and keeping the bike is the way to go even if the frame is bent. You can sell the motor for more than $500 and keep your carb, wheels and other good parts for the next DR. Or sell all the good parts and take the profits and the $2700 and upgrade to something different.

I checked the frame thoroughly and see no damage at all. Not even scrape marks. I dint think the frame made any contact with the pavement.

I try to always wear gear to work, but that day I knew I'd leave work early, and there was a heat wave in San Diego, pushing 110+ degrees, so I wore jeans and a button up flannel with gauntlet gloves, riding boots, and helmet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:45 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Scuuuba_Steve wrote:
PerazziMx14 wrote:

I checked the frame thoroughly and see no damage at all. Not even scrape marks. I dint think the frame made any contact with the pavement.

I try to always wear gear to work, but that day I knew I'd leave work early, and there was a heat wave in San Diego, pushing 110+ degrees, so I wore jeans and a button up flannel with gauntlet gloves, riding boots, and helmet.

The flannel shirt and jeans are about as useless as shorts and a tank top but interesting enough all you injuries seem to be local to where you had the most protection.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:46 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Scuuuba_Steve wrote:
I don't believe the forks are bent. The dust covers have always looked wobbly like that, causing the appearance of bent forks. I really like your advice though. With my ankle being out for months, I want to be sure this investment will be worth it for me. I'll have physical therapy for years to come, so I doubt I'd be able to spend much time on self repairs. It's just not practical right now. If it's a quick and easy fix, I'll take it. Otherwise I'll get rid of it. Is there anyone in the San Diego area that can come by and help me out and check it out? We can set an agreed price beforehand. Please PM me if able. Thanks.

Hope you are right Steve! If no damage to forks/frame then the rebuild will go easier. :good:

The most important time for your PT will be in the first months after surgery. THAT is the time to work it really hard. In six months or a year, after all the healing is done, more PT will not help much other than to make YOU feel better and stay stretched out. So do it right away.

You really want to work like HELL to break down that scar tissue, keep ligaments and muscles from tightening up, so get started with your PT ASAP. I did PT in between all 5 of my surgeries, even when non weight bearing. A well trained and knowledgeable PT tech is critical, IMHO. I had great ones and have NO PAIN, 90% range of motion and 80% strength.

Good luck! Keep on it!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:59 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Hang tough Steve & heal up soon! I'm glad to hear the forks are lookin straight & you're keeping the bike as it'll let you upgrade the blinkers...eBay & partzilla will help ya get any other incidentals..those fat bars are incredibly strong so no surprise they're not bent. Karma will catch up & smack that SOB down someday.

'14 DR650, FMF PC4, 6F19 needle @4th pos, Idle screw @1.75 turns out, Stock 140 MJ 42.5 PJ, Stock air filters, deleted snorkel & smog, 1-5/8" pvc fork spacers, +6 preload turns @ rear shock: 3.25" race sag, Tusk 'KTM' fatbars, TT Endurance II.

Delete: chain roller, chain guard/tabs, horn, blinkers, mirrors, grab bars, clutch/kickstand switches, rear fender, pass. pegs, stock muffler, speedo/cable. To do: lower roller, JNS pegs, 2" wider seat, S/S brakes, FCR39, LED headlight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:19 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Don't know why I didn't think of this, but I looked at the estimate for repair. Here is what the claim adjuster put:

Estimate of Record
2004 SUZU DR650SE K4 SPORT 644cc BLACK
Line Oper Description Part Number Qty Extended
Price $
Labor Paint
1 # TOTAL LOSS - NOT A COMPLETE
ESTIMATE
2 FRONT SUSPENSION & STEERING
3 Repl RT .fork tube outer 5113032E00 1 414.29 0.9
NOTE: GOUGE LOWER RT FORK TUBE OUTER
4 FENDERS, GUARDS, & COVERS
5 ** Repl A/M Fender front K3 K4 K5 5311113E00YJ4 1 26.96 0.4
6 ** Repl A/M LT Side cover black 4721132E1030H 1 112.95 0.1
NOTE: kit - serviced as assy
7 LAMPS
8 ** Repl A/M H/lamp assy K3 K4 K5 3510012ED0999 1 67.21 0.3
9 FUEL
10 ** Repl A/M Fuel tank assy 4410032EG0YC2 1 239.95 0.4
11 HANDLEBARS, MIRRORS, LEVERS, & SWITCHES
12 Repl Brake lever 5742113001 1 13.32 Incl.
13 Repl Clutch lever assy 5750012E50 1 78.90 Incl.
14 Repl RT Mirror 5650006G30 1 110.72 Incl.
15 Repl LT Mirror 5660006G30 1 110.72 Incl.
16 Repl RT Throttle grip 5711012D11 1 31.71 Incl.
17 ** Repl A/M Handlebar 5611032E00291 1 69.49 0.7
18 Repl Balancer set K4 K5 5620016822 1 28.14 Incl.
19 Repl LT Grip 5721112D00 1 14.26 Incl.
20 INSTRUMENTS
21 Repl Speedometer assy 3412032E02 1 336.07 0.6
22 FOOTRESTS, STANDS, & PEDALS
23 Repl RT Mtg brkt rear 4365032E00019 1 63.07 0.3
24 Repl LT Footrest rear 4371023E00 1 55.05 0.2
25 REAR SUSPENSION & FINAL DRIVE
26 Repl Swing arm 6100032E30 1 1,116.99 1.0
NOTE: DENTED AND GOUGED LT SIDE
27 SEAT & CARRIER
28 Repl Seat K3 K4 4510032E306BY 1 367.64 0.2
SUBTOTALS 3,257.44 5.1 0.0
NOTES
Prior Damage Notes:
TOTAL LOSS

I guess I will be going over the bike to double check those big areas, like the right fork tube and swing arm. All I seen on the swing arm was a very small dent/scratch, but I guess that does count as damage that needs to be repaired. I don't feel like it would be dangerous to ride on it though. Anyone know how to check the "fork tube outer"? Is that just the fork? I don't see anything wrong with it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:21 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

DR Grifter wrote:
Scuuuba_Steve wrote:

Hope you are right Steve! If no damage to forks/frame then the rebuild will go easier. :good:

The most important time for your PT will be in the first months after surgery. THAT is the time to work it really hard. In six months or a year, after all the healing is done, more PT will not help much other than to make YOU feel better and stay stretched out. So do it right away.

You really want to work like HELL to break down that scar tissue, keep ligaments and muscles from tightening up, so get started with your PT ASAP. I did PT in between all 5 of my surgeries, even when non weight bearing. A well trained and knowledgeable PT tech is critical, IMHO. I had great ones and have NO PAIN, 90% range of motion and 80% strength.

Good luck! Keep on it!

Thank you very much for the advice. I will keep that in mind. I am so focused on recovery and I want to be sure as best as possible. I want to be back in the gym doing 400 pound squats!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next