www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:39 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:38 pm 
Offline
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:36 am
Posts: 301
Location: Sydney, Australia
I disassembled and cleaned the carb on my new (to me) bike, and the jet needle orifice is a little obround, which may go someway to explaining the slight off-idle bog im getting. Other than that, the rest of the carb is in good order.

I have two options here:
1. buy a new jet needle from my local suzuki in Australia: $46 aud
2. buy a carb rebuild kit that includes a new jet needle from ebay: $53 aud shipped. like this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUZUKI-DR650 ... SwgY9XeE9z

Is there any advantage to going with the oem suzuki here? There are also two other kits that come up - Shindy and Psychic. I haven't heard of either of them before. I don't _need_ and of the other parts in the rebuild kits, but they could be handy for the future. :hang:

cheers

_________________
Yamaha FJR 1300, 2001 model for road touring, Suzuki DR650SE 2006 model for dirt touring.
----------
DJ160 main jet, dynojet needle on richest clip, KTM 640 LC4 X-6 emulsion tube, pilot screw 1-1/4 turns out, all in the BST40. Airbox cut to the usual template.
IMS tank, procircuit T4 muffler, TAG 1-1/8" bars, backbusters, madstad 18" screen, MJM custom seat.
Lots of other cool stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 am 
Offline
MSF Student
MSF Student
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:33 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Somerset
those prices are a bit high ?

I just got these from my local dealer who doesnt deal in either model, the KTM needle is an upgrade to the stock needle with minimal mods to none.
Suzuki dr650 96 - 13383-32E00 = $18
KTM ? - 584310346G5 = 22

Have just put this kit in mine with ktm needle.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARBURETOR-CARBY-REBUILD-REPAIR-KIT-SUZUKI-DR650SE-1996-to-2014-/131722087139?epid=1957296102&hash=item1eab3f8ae3:g:aJMAAOSw4A5YoUrK


http://www.mickhone.com.au/partFinder/fiche/suzuki/1996/dr650se/carburetor#n_1338332E00

_________________
Boys will be boys, and so will a lot of middle-aged men - Kin Hubbard


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:09 am 
Offline
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:36 am
Posts: 301
Location: Sydney, Australia
Indie wrote:
those prices are a bit high ?

I just got these from my local dealer who doesnt deal in either model, the KTM needle is an upgrade to the stock needle with minimal mods to none.
Suzuki dr650 96 - 13383-32E00 = $18
KTM ? - 584310346G5 = 22

Have just put this kit in mine with ktm needle.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARBURETOR-CARBY-REBUILD-REPAIR-KIT-SUZUKI-DR650SE-1996-to-2014-/131722087139?epid=1957296102&hash=item1eab3f8ae3:g:aJMAAOSw4A5YoUrK


http://www.mickhone.com.au/partFinder/fiche/suzuki/1996/dr650se/carburetor#n_1338332E00


im not after the needle - im after the needle jet - the round thing that the needle passes through. they are chromed, or treated in the same way, so i think that's why they cost so much.

_________________
Yamaha FJR 1300, 2001 model for road touring, Suzuki DR650SE 2006 model for dirt touring.
----------
DJ160 main jet, dynojet needle on richest clip, KTM 640 LC4 X-6 emulsion tube, pilot screw 1-1/4 turns out, all in the BST40. Airbox cut to the usual template.
IMS tank, procircuit T4 muffler, TAG 1-1/8" bars, backbusters, madstad 18" screen, MJM custom seat.
Lots of other cool stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 am 
Offline
Member Servant
Member Servant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 9968
Location: Mackinaw City, MI, USA
dmsantam wrote:
Indie wrote:
those prices are a bit high ?

I just got these from my local dealer who doesnt deal in either model, the KTM needle is an upgrade to the stock needle with minimal mods to none.
Suzuki dr650 96 - 13383-32E00 = $18
KTM ? - 584310346G5 = 22

Have just put this kit in mine with ktm needle.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARBURETOR-CARBY-REBUILD-REPAIR-KIT-SUZUKI-DR650SE-1996-to-2014-/131722087139?epid=1957296102&hash=item1eab3f8ae3:g:aJMAAOSw4A5YoUrK


http://www.mickhone.com.au/partFinder/fiche/suzuki/1996/dr650se/carburetor#n_1338332E00


im not after the needle - im after the needle jet - the round thing that the needle passes through. they are chromed, or treated in the same way, so i think that's why they cost so much.

Yes, the needle jet is plated for reduced wear... but they still wear out in less than 10k miles. :hang: My 99 had that off idle bog when I first bought it used. It took me a bit of experimentation to figure out that it was caused by a worn metering orifice. They are certainly proud of the Y-5M. Rumor has it you can run the KTM 640 X-6 needle jet.... not plated but less expensive. 689 X-6 P/N 58431021689 $14.19 at Babbitts online which is about half the cost of the Y-5M. :good:

_________________
- mxrob -


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:46 pm 
Offline
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:36 am
Posts: 301
Location: Sydney, Australia
mxrob wrote:
Yes, the needle jet is plated for reduced wear... but they still wear out in less than 10k miles. :hang: My 99 had that off idle bog when I first bought it used. It took me a bit of experimentation to figure out that it was caused by a worn metering orifice. They are certainly proud of the Y-5M. Rumor has it you can run the KTM 640 X-6 needle jet.... not plated but less expensive. 689 X-6 P/N 58431021689 $14.19 at Babbitts online which is about half the cost of the Y-5M. :good:


The KTM needle jet is a great tip - I shall go with that option. Thanks mxrob :drinks:

_________________
Yamaha FJR 1300, 2001 model for road touring, Suzuki DR650SE 2006 model for dirt touring.
----------
DJ160 main jet, dynojet needle on richest clip, KTM 640 LC4 X-6 emulsion tube, pilot screw 1-1/4 turns out, all in the BST40. Airbox cut to the usual template.
IMS tank, procircuit T4 muffler, TAG 1-1/8" bars, backbusters, madstad 18" screen, MJM custom seat.
Lots of other cool stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:36 am
Posts: 301
Location: Sydney, Australia
i received the ktm emulsion tube, and installed it. as a result i had to drastically alter my needle height. i guess that makes sense since the emulsion tube was so worn - it was very obviously obround, and i have 99,000 kms on my bike.

with the obround emulsion tube, i had the dynojet needle on the 2nd clip. with the new one, it was still surging on the 4th clip! runs well on the 5th clip. :Roost:

Other than the wear, I could not tell the difference between the KTM and the stock emulsion tube. Are you sure the KTM one is not plated? :s_dunno

_________________
Yamaha FJR 1300, 2001 model for road touring, Suzuki DR650SE 2006 model for dirt touring.
----------
DJ160 main jet, dynojet needle on richest clip, KTM 640 LC4 X-6 emulsion tube, pilot screw 1-1/4 turns out, all in the BST40. Airbox cut to the usual template.
IMS tank, procircuit T4 muffler, TAG 1-1/8" bars, backbusters, madstad 18" screen, MJM custom seat.
Lots of other cool stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:09 am 
Offline
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:46 pm
Posts: 5187
Location:
You probably should also replace the slide and slide guide. Wear in the slide/guide interface is what causes the needle to wear the needle jet. You can use KTM640 parts.

_________________
Everything for your DR650 and lots of other keen stuff!
DR900 Stroker Project
TurboDiesel Corvette


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:46 am 
Offline
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:36 am
Posts: 301
Location: Sydney, Australia
ProCycle wrote:
You probably should also replace the slide and slide guide. Wear in the slide/guide interface is what causes the needle to wear the needle jet. You can use KTM640 parts.


yep, slide, guide, and a new spring are on the way and should be here later this week. i just couldn't wait to try the emulsion tube :biggrin:

photos of the existing (worn) slide and guide after 99,000kms if anybody is interested: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bbo4JDkWHldcgnXQ2

_________________
Yamaha FJR 1300, 2001 model for road touring, Suzuki DR650SE 2006 model for dirt touring.
----------
DJ160 main jet, dynojet needle on richest clip, KTM 640 LC4 X-6 emulsion tube, pilot screw 1-1/4 turns out, all in the BST40. Airbox cut to the usual template.
IMS tank, procircuit T4 muffler, TAG 1-1/8" bars, backbusters, madstad 18" screen, MJM custom seat.
Lots of other cool stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:09 am 
Offline
Member Servant
Member Servant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 9968
Location: Mackinaw City, MI, USA
dmsantam wrote:
i received the ktm emulsion tube, and installed it. as a result i had to drastically alter my needle height. i guess that makes sense since the emulsion tube was so worn - it was very obviously obround, and i have 99,000 kms on my bike.

with the obround emulsion tube, i had the dynojet needle on the 2nd clip. with the new one, it was still surging on the 4th clip! runs well on the 5th clip. :Roost:

Other than the wear, I could not tell the difference between the KTM and the stock emulsion tube. Are you sure the KTM one is not plated? :s_dunno

If it's nickel/silver colored it's plated....

_________________
- mxrob -


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:25 pm 
Offline
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:36 am
Posts: 301
Location: Sydney, Australia
mxrob wrote:
dmsantam wrote:
i received the ktm emulsion tube, and installed it. as a result i had to drastically alter my needle height. i guess that makes sense since the emulsion tube was so worn - it was very obviously obround, and i have 99,000 kms on my bike.

with the obround emulsion tube, i had the dynojet needle on the 2nd clip. with the new one, it was still surging on the 4th clip! runs well on the 5th clip. :Roost:

Other than the wear, I could not tell the difference between the KTM and the stock emulsion tube. Are you sure the KTM one is not plated? :s_dunno

If it's nickel/silver colored it's plated....


the one already in my carb was not plated then. both old and new are gold coloured.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3cqfSn7J7mRb7CEW2

_________________
Yamaha FJR 1300, 2001 model for road touring, Suzuki DR650SE 2006 model for dirt touring.
----------
DJ160 main jet, dynojet needle on richest clip, KTM 640 LC4 X-6 emulsion tube, pilot screw 1-1/4 turns out, all in the BST40. Airbox cut to the usual template.
IMS tank, procircuit T4 muffler, TAG 1-1/8" bars, backbusters, madstad 18" screen, MJM custom seat.
Lots of other cool stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Forum hosting by ProphpBB | Software by phpBB | Report Abuse | Privacy