www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:13 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:06 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Early needle jets were not plated. At some point in production Suzuki changed to plated ones - but I don't recall what year or if it might be a USA only part.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:53 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

ProCycle wrote:
Early needle jets were not plated. At some point in production Suzuki changed to plated ones - but I don't recall what year or if it might be a USA only part.

interesting. mine is a 2006, Australian one and is not plated. I'm pretty sure my old 2009 was also gold coloured. My mate's 2012 one is also gold coloured.

sounds like the plated needle jets is a US thing - or at least a non-Australian thing.

IMS tank, procircuit T4 muffler, TAG 1-1/8" bars, backbusters, madstad 18" screen, MJM custom seat.
Lots of other cool stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:42 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Very interesting..... Same Y5M and same Suzuki part number for all of them on the US and OZ parts fiches. :s_dunno

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:05 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Indie wrote:
I just got these from my local dealer who doesnt deal in either model, the KTM needle is an upgrade to the stock needle with minimal mods to none.
Dynamometer testing I have performed shows that the 6G5 needle is richer toward the bottom of the rpm range than the 6F19 needle, which the DR650 has no need for.

Regards,

Derek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:08 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

dmsantam wrote:
im not after the needle - im after the needle jet - the round thing that the needle passes through. they are chromed, or treated in the same way, so i think that's why they cost so much.
It's actually nickel plating.

Regards,

Derek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:58 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

mxrob wrote:
Rumor has it you can run the KTM 640 X-6 needle jet.... not plated but less expensive. 689 X-6 P/N 58431021689 $14.19 at Babbitts online which is about half the cost of the Y-5M. :good:
I'd definitely advise proceeding with caution considering that an X-6 is nine sizes smaller than a Y-5. That's equivalent to ~ 4.5 jet sizes leaner in the area the emulsion tube outlet size affects. Add to that the difference in bleed hole number and location (and possibly size), which changes the shape and/or slope of the fuel delivery curve.

Regards,

Derek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:11 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

dmsantam wrote:
with the obround emulsion tube, i had the dynojet needle on the 2nd clip.
The Dynojet jet needle's drawbacks are:

1) It was designed for the '80-'83 Yamaha XS & XJ1100 and/or the '80-'85 Suzuki GS750E & ES.

2) It has a shape that is likely to produce significant variances in mixture strength through the rpm range, specifically leaner toward upper portion of the rpm range than toward the lower.

3) It's made out of stainless steel which means more emulsion tube wear than with an aluminum needle.

4) It doesn't use the white plastic spacer under the clip, which means the needle is not preloaded in the downstream direction, and will therefore be more prone to orbiting/otherwise gyrating inside the emulsion tube. It also means that the needle will not be able to pivot out of the way as the slide guide wears. Both of these factors equate more emulsion tube wear. Note: studying Dynojet needle applications reveals that they keep OEM spacers in place unless, as in this case, the needle is adapted from a use on a different carburetor.
Quote:
with the new one, it was still surging on the 4th clip! runs well on the 5th clip. :Roost:
Lean symptoms just disappear around 2 -2.5% CO, but the correct mixture is at 4.5%, so the needle is still 2 to 2.5 clip positions too lean.
Quote:
Are you sure the KTM one is not plated? :s_dunno
Yes.

Regards,

Derek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:15 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

dmsantam wrote:
the one already in my carb was not plated then. both old and new are gold coloured.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3cqfSn7J7mRb7CEW2
Does the original emulsion tube have the square in the corner of a square Mikuni logo stamped into it? What is the code that is stamped into it (three digits for series and letter-single digit for size)?

Regards,

Derek

Last edited by motolab on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:24 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

dmsantam wrote:
mine is a 2006, Australian one and is not plated. I'm pretty sure my old 2009 was also gold coloured. My mate's 2012 one is also gold coloured.

sounds like the plated needle jets is a US thing - or at least a non-Australian thing.
The factory service manual for '96 to '09 shows a Y-5 for Australia and Y-5M (which is plated) for USA and California.

Regards,

Derek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:08 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

motolab wrote:
mxrob wrote:
Rumor has it you can run the KTM 640 X-6 needle jet.... not plated but less expensive. 689 X-6 P/N 58431021689 $14.19 at Babbitts online which is about half the cost of the Y-5M. :good:
I'd definitely advise proceeding with caution considering that an X-6 is nine sizes smaller than a Y-5. That's equivalent to ~ 4.5 jet sizes leaner in the area the emulsion tube outlet size affects. Add to that the difference in bleed hole number and location (and possibly size), which changes the shape and/or slope of the fuel delivery curve.

Regards,

Derek

very interesting. you're quite right - i've had to go a lot richer on the needle with the X-6 emulsion tube compared to the Y-5.

i will keep my dynojet setup until the emulsion tube wears out, then change to the Y-5, and put my 6F19 adjustable needle in.

just out of interest - how did you discover that the X-6 emulsion tube is indeed smaller than the Y-5?

IMS tank, procircuit T4 muffler, TAG 1-1/8" bars, backbusters, madstad 18" screen, MJM custom seat.
Lots of other cool stuff.

Last edited by dmsantam on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.