www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:05 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:50 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Sandcrabdave wrote:
Knowing the roads the way we do we could take all the backroads and experience very few traffic jams. We own 3 4 wheel drive vehicles so escape would be easier than most but we are hunkering down, the fortress is fortified, we are stocked up with lots of food, beer, gas for the generator and ammo. Irma seems to be heading to the left coast and we are on the right but storm preps continue. Trying to get an outside WiFi cam working since we can't see outside the house...

Hope you have enough ammo to fend off the Zombies of the Trumpocalypse :s_laughat

When I lived/worked in Cent. America, on Caribe side, I always wondered why folks built their houses on Stilts and had 15 ft.
Car racks for their cars. Now it makes sense. Saw stilt houses all over Thailand and Cambodia as well ... stayed in many during massive
monsoon rain.

But you guys may face some serious wind. One thing we did in the Antarctic when storms came through was to make sure any loose
sh*t was battened down well. An air borne piece of 4X8 Plywood, scrape metal and other debris and garbage becomes a serious weapon. We stowed, stashed and beat down anything that could be lifted by the 80 mph to 100 mph winds we got. Once I knew the corrugated steel structure we lived in (built by my heroes, The Sea Bees) would not budge, I was never afraid there. Building was rated to 150 mph ... most we saw was 100 mph. The 2ft thick, corrugated steel walls would "flex" 1.5 inch at max blow. :OMG: (think about that!)

But you Floridians are the experts and will know what to do so you don't end up like Dorothy in Wizard Of Oz ... :s_biggrin

All the best, hunker down and hang in! :drinks:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:42 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

So, how did things fare for members who stayed behind...?

Power? Food? Dry?

Zombies? :s_laughat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:15 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Well we hunkered down and survived, no water, no power, running on the genny, roof pretty well totaled and in need of replacement ASAP. But back at work, really need to be at home but working for the Fed. they expect a lot for very little. Now we have Jose doing loopy loops off the coast like Snoopy in his Sopwith Camel...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:22 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Condolences Sir!

Hope things improve. :good:

You would hope employers would get that people need a place to live in order to work.

Then again, it's the Fed and I'm sure even other employers don't give a d*nm about their workers situations :diablo:

Hopefully Jose will spare you... :clapping:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:47 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Sandcrabdave wrote:
Well we hunkered down and survived, no water, no power, running on the genny, roof pretty well totaled and in need of replacement ASAP. But back at work, really need to be at home but working for the Fed. they expect a lot for very little. Now we have Jose doing loopy loops off the coast like Snoopy in his Sopwith Camel...

Glad it wasn't worse as it had been predicted for you. Unfortunately it sounds like you'll be dealing with this for quite some time to come. :sorry:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:56 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I'm in Naples. The storm turned my porch into a deck. Lots of stuff in the yard. Power back on when we got home. The well needed some work, but minor.
Lots of people less fortunate than me.
The neighbor will be on my generator till they get power.
All bikes survived.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:54 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Yahoo, just got power back! TV cable and internet too, made me so happy I went for a ride. Lots of destruction along the Indian River, didn't take many pictures but will be back because there is a ton of good driftwood, well blown apart docks, washed up and it will make great picture frames. Picture below is Indian River in Cocoa Village.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:36 pm 

I lived in Florida for thirty years and did the hurricane dance often. Left in 2012 on my little boat and washed up in beautiful Pacific Mexico. Have been up in the mountains for the last year with my new DR650 but health forces a return to sea level. My gal and I were going to go back to Florida but Irma has caused us to rethink that plan....looks like we are going to head to San Antonio Texas instead. I had been ready to ride the DR to Florida when Harvey delayed me, then Lidia buzzed my boat in La Paz and delayed me, followed by Irma.... I think the Gods are trying to tell me something. Guess we will trade hurricane prep for the possibility of a tornado up the butt without warning. Should be a pretty cool ride from Guanajuato Mexico to San Antonio. My friends on the right coast of Florida, down in West Palm "only got 92 mph" but my buddy in Ft. Pierce got gusts to 120. It is a foot of water in your living room that is mighty discouraging, although losing everything to a tornado is not really an improvement. I do look forward to exploring Texas though. :bumps:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:47 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Dawn Trader wrote:
I lived in Florida for thirty years and did the hurricane dance often. Left in 2012 on my little boat and washed up in beautiful Pacific Mexico. Have been up in the mountains for the last year with my new DR650 but health forces a return to sea level. My gal and I were going to go back to Florida but Irma has caused us to rethink that plan....looks like we are going to head to San Antonio Texas instead. I had been ready to ride the DR to Florida when Harvey delayed me, then Lidia buzzed my boat in La Paz and delayed me, followed by Irma.... I think the Gods are trying to tell me something. Guess we will trade hurricane prep for the possibility of a tornado up the butt without warning. Should be a pretty cool ride from Guanajuato Mexico to San Antonio. My friends on the right coast of Florida, down in West Palm "only got 92 mph" but my buddy in Ft. Pierce got gusts to 120. It is a foot of water in your living room that is mighty discouraging, although losing everything to a tornado is not really an improvement. I do look forward to exploring Texas though. :bumps:

Hope you can start another thread and talk about living in Mexico as an American. Where were you on Pacific coast? I loved Guanajuato,
would love to scope out the area for future move. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:27 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Sandcrabdave wrote:
Picture below is Indian River in Cocoa Village.

I don't see an image.

However, I can quote it.

I had this happen in a post I did earlier today.

Anyone else see this behavior or am I just "lucky"...?

Good news on the utilities.

Hopefully, things will move along on repairs :good: