www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:37 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:51 pm 

Does anyone have this set up? 16 / 46 sprockets on 520 chain?

I just bought my first DR and the previous owner did a 520 chain conversion and did a 14 / 46 set up. He changed the chain guard and built a custom retainer clip.

I am thinking about throwing a 16t sprocket on for highway riding, and then maybe swapping back to the 14t for trails? I live at least 1 hour away from all legal trails.

Has anyone else done this? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:15 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just make sure you order the JTF438, which has the same thickness as the stock sprocket (10mm), and you'll be fine. Assuming your chain is long enough of course.

vs

The JTF437, which also fits, is narrower at 7.2mm and should be avoided because it wiggles more on the countershaft and can lead to wear on the splines.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:12 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I have a 45t rear and 14/15/16 fronts. You will have to change the tension when you change the front sprocket but it's a 10 minute job at best of you the tools and know how, which is easy IMO.
16t good to get to the off road point, then change to the 14t, adjust the tension and ride on.

Most of the time, I just leave the 15t in as a compromise. Now that I have another bike, I might set the DR up for mostly off road with a 48t rear, we'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:29 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Until very recently, I had the 14/46 setup with the 520 chain.
On this last sprocket change, I went to a 45 rear to address the issue with the chain-guide.
I also machined the retainer by putting it on the lathe and turning the diameter down as far as I could, while still leaving some "meat" for the bolts.
On my last parts order, I got a 15 tooth for the front and I'm interested in trying that out soon. If you do a lot of trails/climbing...you'll love the 14 tooth.

And yes...order the JTF438 from your favorite parts supplier.

2010 Black DR650 - Raptor Petcock...MSR skid plate...Stock chain-roller removed/"Seat Concepts" seat kit/Lower ball-bearing roller/AMP case armor/Pro-Moto rack/Twin Air filter/520 conversion/TM40 pumper carb/8.3 Rear spring/ProCycle Case saver/WARP 9 bar-risers/IMS 4.9 gal Tank/Homemade Chainguard topic15058.html NSU Fix topic14597.html NSU Fix re-visited topic14828.html
DR_Rider blog: https://dr650rider.blogspot.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:16 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I run a 17 / 47 setup most of the time which is close to standard ratios with a 15 going on for anything tighter than a fire trail. I also have 16 and 14 tooth fronts for variation.

I run a homemade rear chain guide, but you can just run the standard one if the bottem block is shaved down.

The 17/47 combination gives good chain and sprocket life, all of my front sprockets are built up so that they are 12mm thick to reduce shaft wear.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:52 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

If you have no interest in a 17T CS, the 16/46 is available in 525.

Longer life and a wider boss for the CS (which can save the CS shaft)...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:16 am 

Max Kool wrote:
Just make sure you order the JTF438, which has the same thickness as the stock sprocket (10mm), and you'll be fine. Assuming your chain is long enough of course.

vs

The JTF437, which also fits, is narrower at 7.2mm and should be avoided because it wiggles more on the countershaft and can lead to wear on the splines.

Thanks for this. I accidentally ordered the JTF437 the other day (I searched online and heard that it fits DR 650, but I didn't realize that it was more narrow than the stock. I'll return that and get the JTF438 instead.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:31 am 

So if I keep the 46 rear and 520 chain set up up by the previous owner, what else do I need to do to swap to a 15t or 16t? The guy who sold me the bike gave me the original chain guide, seal, and retainer clip. Would I use all 3 of these for both the 15t or 16t? Other than that, just need to adjust chain length?

He also gave me two different 15t sprockets (different thickness). Does anyone know the sprocket model number for the 15t that I should put on the 520 chain). And is the 15t for 520 different than the 15t for 525?

The original owner also gave me the original chain and sprockets - you guys think I should stick with the 520 (14, 15, 16) set up or put the 525 back on?

Sorry for all the noob questions! This is my first DR and I can't wait to get off the tarmac and start exploring (hopefully this weekend :biggrin: ) Really appreciate all the help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:53 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

smr310 wrote:
So if I keep the 46 rear and 520 chain set up up by the previous owner, what else do I need to do to swap to a 15t or 16t? The guy who sold me the bike gave me the original chain guide, seal, and retainer clip. Would I use all 3 of these for both the 15t or 16t? Other than that, just need to adjust chain length?

He also gave me two different 15t sprockets (different thickness). Does anyone know the sprocket model number for the 15t that I should put on the 520 chain). And is the 15t for 520 different than the 15t for 525?

The original owner also gave me the original chain and sprockets - you guys think I should stick with the 520 (14, 15, 16) set up or put the 525 back on?

Sorry for all the noob questions! This is my first DR and I can't wait to get off the tarmac and start exploring (hopefully this weekend :biggrin: ) Really appreciate all the help.

Unfortunately the JFT438 only comes in 14T and 15T options. The most important thing is NOT to use any sprockets on your machine that do not have a 10mm wide hub. After that it's a gearing requirement thing. If you don't specifically need gearing that is not available in the original 525 chain size I'd go back to the original chain size. Why run a weaker and shorter life span chain and sprocket set if there is no reason to do so? :s_dunno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:43 am 

mxrob wrote:
smr310 wrote:

Unfortunately the JFT438 only comes in 14T and 15T options. The most important thing is NOT to use any sprockets on your machine that do not have a 10mm wide hub. After that it's a gearing requirement thing. If you don't specifically need gearing that is not available in the original 525 chain size I'd go back to the original chain size. Why run a weaker and shorter life span chain and sprocket set if there is no reason to do so? :s_dunno

Ahh, I see. So are there any good 16t 10mm sprockets that you would recommend? I'm not that concerned about shorter chain life since the original owner gave me the original 525 chain and original sprockets as well. I was thinking to keep the 520 on for now, and then I could always go to the 525 later. Since the bike currently has the 14 / 46 and 520 installed, I was just thinking whats the easiest way to make a small change to make highway riding a little more tolerable. I figured I can keep the 46t, keep the 520 chain, and just replace the 14t front for a 15t or 16t. Maybe I can start by installing the 15t that he also provided me? (i'll make sure its 10mm first).