www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:02 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:27 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

mxrob wrote:
Unfortunately the JFT438 only comes in 14T and 15T options. The most important thing is NOT to use any sprockets on your machine that do not have a 10mm wide hub. After that it's a gearing requirement thing. If you don't specifically need gearing that is not available in the original 525 chain size I'd go back to the original chain size. Why run a weaker and shorter life span chain and sprocket set if there is no reason to do so? :s_dunno

This is why I run PBI CSs.

In 525, the PBI 663 is available in 13-16T

When run with a suitable rear sprocket, you can deal with a variety of terrain for the day and still switch back to highway speeds.

Sizing the rear properly can even account for "17T effect" (i.e. Faster speeds, with lower engine RPMs)

Smaller sprockets do affect chain life.

However I get 12-16k miles on a 525 chain and I have been accused of taking my DR places that it should not be (hi RickB1975 :clapping: )

(I.e. I run those smaller sprockets and I still get what I consider good chain life)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:29 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

:2_thumbsup: It's also nice that PBI has 42, 45 and 48 tooth 525 rear sprockets in steel for the DR650. The large selection of gearing between the CS and Rear sprockets in 525 size really takes the gearing excuse out of needing to run a 520 setup. :clapping:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:14 pm 

I see. Going back to the 525 chain seems like a good idea for me then. However, just to minimize the PITA aspect of changing the rear sprocket and chain, is there currently any good 10mm 16t front sprocket I could get to pair with the existing 46 rear and 520 chain thats already on the bike?

If not, maybe a 15t will be good enough for the highway?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:29 pm 

Alright, after doing some more searching, I decided to order a JTF438.15. That seems like it'll be a well rounded gearing for street / highway / light offroad.

In the future, maybe I'll go back to the 525 and look into PBI CSs. Thanks guys for the input. Can't wait to ride this weekend :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:13 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

smr310 wrote:
Does anyone have this set up? 16 / 46 sprockets on 520 chain?

I just bought my first DR and the previous owner did a 520 chain conversion and did a 14 / 46 set up. He changed the chain guard and built a custom retainer clip.

I am thinking about throwing a 16t sprocket on for highway riding, and then maybe swapping back to the 14t for trails? I live at least 1 hour away from all legal trails.

Has anyone else done this? Thanks

I prefer using a 44T or 45T rear sprocket, so that a 15T front still works OK on the slab. 15/46 seems to over-rev above 70MPH (indicated) on my DR650s, but with 15/45 or 14/42 my near-stock DRs run out of power at sea-level before they seem over-revved in 5th. A more-powerful DR may be able to over-rev with that gearing, but you'd probably be going over 100MPH by then.

15/45 is about equivalent in ratio to the popular 14/42. 15/44 is about equivalent to 14/41. Both of these ratios work well in dirt, yet still run fine on slab.

16/46 works fine on slab, BTW. It's about equivalent in ratio to 15/43. Stock in the US is 15/42. Stock in Oz is 15/41.

You may need a different CS sprocket retainer for some of these different sizes of CS sprocket. Procycle offers several types. You might like the clip type for its versatility, but do your research on the different types of CS sprocket retainers. Weigh the pros and cons of each.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

A little off topic, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer........

What the largest rear sprocket that will work with the stock chain guide with no issues ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:23 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

JB™ wrote:

What the largest rear sprocket that will work with the stock chain guide with no issues ?

Whoops!

Missed that question.

With 16/46 and the chain cut for 0+4 snail cam adjustment, the stock guide is insufficient.

I got a warp 9, but ProCycle has a much superior guide out now.

If you run a chain that is one link longer, the stock guide will work, but your ability to go from 16T -> 13,14T things will be close (i.e. out of adjustment available).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:09 pm 

N3YMY wrote:
JB™ wrote:

Whoops!

Missed that question.

With 16/46 and the chain cut for 0+4 snail cam adjustment, the stock guide is insufficient.

If you run a chain that is one link longer, the stock guide will work, but your ability to go from 16T -> 13,14T things will be close (i.e. out of adjustment available).

I'm looking at going from stock to the 520 conversion 15T front with 46T rear, if I understand the above correctly the 46T sprocket is too big to have the chain adjuster in the forward-most position?

My new to me 2005 has about 12k miles and I believe the stock chain and sprockets definitely showing some wear, adjusted loose at about 3 and a half on the snail adjuster.

As long as I make my chain long enough the 46T should work with stock chain guides?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:54 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

DR650N8 wrote:
N3YMY wrote:
JB™ wrote:

Whoops!

Missed that question.

I'm looking at going from stock to the 520 conversion 15T front with 46T rear, if I understand the above correctly the 46T sprocket is too big to have the chain adjuster in the forward-most position?

My new to me 2005 has about 12k miles and I believe the stock chain and sprockets definitely showing some wear, adjusted loose at about 3 and a half on the snail adjuster.

As long as I make my chain long enough the 46T should work with stock chain guides?

Yes, you certainly won't be able to use the full travel of the snail adjusters with that setup.