www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:19 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cylinder honing question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:24 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Need help with info regarding honing the cylinder for ring replacement. When I put the high compression piston in I was advised to just clean the cylinder with scotch brite pads. Did this and had no issue. Unfortunately got the cylinder off again and was looking for info about using a ball hone and if this is acceptable with the nikosil cylinder. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:37 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

chrisparker966 wrote:
Need help with info regarding honing the cylinder for ring replacement. When I put the high compression piston in I was advised to just clean the cylinder with scotch brite pads. Did this and had no issue. Unfortunately got the cylinder off again and was looking for info about using a ball hone and if this is acceptable with the nikosil cylinder. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You are not actually "honing" a plated cylinder... just deglazing it. No dimensions will/should be altered. A flap/brush hone does a good job of deglazing but you can just use scotch brite to remove any glazing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:09 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

mxrob wrote:
chrisparker966 wrote:

You are not actually "honing" a plated cylinder... just deglazing it. No dimensions will/should be altered. A flap/brush hone does a good job of deglazing but you can just use scotch brite to remove any glazing.

I understand the fact that it is simply de-glazing and not removing mat'l and altering dimensions but the question I have is this; many of the vids I've watched talk about de-glazing using the ball hone to produce a 20 or so degree cross hatch pattern for proper oil film retention/adhesion. Are they over emphasizing this and in reality, using Scotchbrite by hand works just as well?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:58 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Use a blade hone and you want a 45 degree cross hatch. move the drill and hone in and out at a steady speed. you need too keep the cylinder lubricated with either diesel fuel or WD-40. The trick is not to stay still at the end of the stroke while traveling at a consistent speed. Remember not to take alot of material off. measure the cylinder with a micrometer and a t-gauge before and after the hone. make sure to measure it at 4 places. make sure that the cylinder is not out of round or hour glassed. :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:44 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated

:drinks: