www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:54 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scott Oiler is the bomb!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:53 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I just wanted to update everyone what my experience has been since installing a Scotts Oiler on my DR

I installed it with about 3000 miles on the clock and now it just passed 8K. Since then I have not touched the chain or the slack adjuster not even once! When I oil a chain wax using a spray can it looked dry after a day of riding but with the Scott Oiler it's always wet and shiny :s_smile You need to refill the reservoir every 1000 miles and the rim gets oil flug onto it but cleans real easy with WD40 when spun on a lift stand. Someone on this site stated they claimed it will make the chain and sprocket last for 30K miles which had me thinking :s_no Now I'm not so sure!

I put the rear upper chain guard back on the swing arm to limit the amount of oil getting thrown on the bike. This is something I highly recommend if you buy one get an extra bottle of oil, the one that came with the system is almost empty.

Wish I had pics of the install I could link to this site so I could show you how I plumbed and secured the lines which is virtually invisible and well protected but they are locked-up in Photophucket :sad:

Just thought I would pass this along :drinks:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:49 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Type in ~original just after jpg at the end of the url string

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:04 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I've been very happy with the Scottoiler. But...IMO, 1000 miles per fill is still too much oil. It took a while but I was able to eventually dial mine back to where the chain always looked like I lubed it 2 days ago. One fill would go 3K-4K miles. VERY little mess. Almost 25K miles on the 525 chain on my KTM990.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:51 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

LA Thumper wrote:

Wish I had pics of the install I could link to this site so I could show you how I plumbed and secured the lines which is virtually invisible and well protected but they are locked-up in Photophucket :sad:

Just thought I would pass this along :drinks:

I've been running a Scott oiler on my DL650 for over a year. The DR650 sidecar rig got one about 9 months ago and I bought a 3rd I was going to put on the 2006 DR but since it has a FCR there is no vacuum port and I didn't feel like drilling and tapping one so I gave it to a buddy for his Versys 1000. I bought each one used some were never installed other were used for a week. I paid $75, $50 AND $50 shipped.

As a side note I chose to skip the Scot oil and use ATF. It way less expensive and readily available if traveling. Talking to the former Scot rep he said really any oil (ATF, gear, motor etc..) is okay but stay away from chainsaw bar oil as it is too sticky.

I bet this will look eerily familiar:

Attachments:
SO2.JPG
SO2.JPG [ 113.94 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]
SO1.JPG
SO1.JPG [ 109.82 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:19 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

PerazziMx14 wrote:
I've been running a Scott oiler on my DL650 for over a year. The DR650 sidecar rig got one about 9 months ago and I bought a 3rd I was going to put on the 2006 DR but since it has a FCR there is no vacuum port and I didn't feel like drilling and tapping one so I gave it to a buddy for his Versys 1000. I bought each one used some were never installed other were used for a week. I paid $75, $50 AND $50 shipped.

As a side note I chose to skip the Scot oil and use ATF. It way less expensive and readily available if traveling. Talking to the former Scot rep he said really any oil (ATF, gear, motor etc..) is okay but stay away from chainsaw bar oil as it is too sticky.

I bet this will look eerily familiar:

Yea, the hardest part of the install I had to tap an M6 thread into one of the undrilled bosses on the side of the FCR for the vacuum line and drilled out a brass M6 screw then cut the head off making it a stud and ground away the portion where the tube slide over but leaving a barb at the end of it. Some blue lock-tite and a jam nut on the thread and "wolha".

I ran the line "outta sight" on the inside of the swing and ditched the adhesive tywrap anchors that came with the unit and used rubber lined aircraft "DG" cable clamps screwed to existing tapped holes along the swing arm. The line running along the swing arm is covered with spirol wrap for added protection where it's exposed to stuff kicked-up by the rear wheel.

I hear ya on the oil thing. I think any low viscosity oil will work I just ordered the extra oil along with the unit.

I'm curious what the chain tightening intervals on the DR are when using conventional lube from a can. I don't ever recall never tightening the chain slack after 5000 miles :s_dunno not even close! :aggressive:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ProCycle wrote:
I've been very happy with the Scottoiler. But...IMO, 1000 miles per fill is still too much oil. It took a while but I was able to eventually dial mine back to where the chain always looked like I lubed it 2 days ago. One fill would go 3K-4K miles. VERY little mess. Almost 25K miles on the 525 chain on my KTM990.

I'll dial back the flow adjuster per your recommendations. The instructions say 1 drop per minute but would rather take advice from someone who doesn't make money selling lube....... oh wait! LOL

Wow, 25K on a chain. Perhaps the urban legion is true. How many times have you tightened the chain in all that time?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:05 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The chain only took a couple adjustments in the first 20K. Then needed more adjustment near the end of its life.

I think the 'one drop per minute' is a way to have a big mess - especially if you carry luggage.
Anyway, my goal of making the chain look like I just lubed it a couple of days ago worked out fine for me. I did turn up the flow a little for riding in the rain. And turned it off when I knew I was going to spend most of the day in dust.

I did try some ATF but learned that when you are shooting for very little oil flow any change in viscosity throws your setting out the window. I never did get it adjusted right with ATF. I went back to Scott Oil figuring that as little as I was using it was no hardship to carry a small bottle on the rare occasions when I would need a refill to get home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:22 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ProCycle wrote:
The chain only took a couple adjustments in the first 20K. Then needed more adjustment near the end of its life.

I think the 'one drop per minute' is a way to have a big mess - especially if you carry luggage.
Anyway, my goal of making the chain look like I just lubed it a couple of days ago worked out fine for me. I did turn up the flow a little for riding in the rain. And turned it off when I knew I was going to spend most of the day in dust.

I did try some ATF but learned that when you are shooting for very little oil flow any change in viscosity throws your setting out the window. I never did get it adjusted right with ATF. I went back to Scott Oil figuring that as little as I was using it was no hardship to carry a small bottle on the rare occasions when I would need a refill to get home.

On my DL650 a drip rater of 2 drops per 1:45 minutes is perfect. Chain is wet and clean as new and very little fling. No more than using aerosol chain lube. My DR650 need a little higher drip rate at drop per 1:00 minute. I am not sure if it a single verses twin cylinder thing as the piston on the Scot oiler on the DL once the bike is started (at idle) has very little movement. The DR on the other hand the piston on the Scot pulses with the motor. I don't know what this equated to at running RPM's but it seem there is a difference. At some point as a test I am going to put a canister under the seat and connect the vacuum line to it so it act like a reservoir to see if that equalize/stabilize the pulsing a bit.

It not a hardship to carry ATF either. A 4oz bottle neatly tucked away keeps me going for a long weekend. I use a pointed plastic squeeze bottles i found at Walmart in the craft section for tie dying shirts. Dump out the powdered dye fill w/ ATF, cap and away you go. For longer trips I carry a 12 oz pointed condiment squeeze bottle or fill old 5 hour energy drink bottles with ATF and put them under the seat in a zip top bag.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:49 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

...A 4oz bottle neatly tucked away keeps me going for a long weekend...
I don't carry any for a long weekend. The only time I have actually carried any refill oil was last year when I rode Route 66 and Pacific Coast Highway. 5500 miles, 3-1/2 weeks traveling. I refilled once at about the 2-1/2 week point and was still more than half full when I arrived home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:11 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ProCycle wrote:
PerazziMx14 wrote:
...A 4oz bottle neatly tucked away keeps me going for a long weekend...
I don't carry any for a long weekend. The only time I have actually carried any refill oil was last year when I rode Route 66 and Pacific Coast Highway. 5500 miles, 3-1/2 weeks traveling. I refilled once at about the 2-1/2 week point and was still more than half full when I arrived home.

Its all drips per hour, distance is irrelevant.