Losing Weight?

Losing Weight?

Trail RiderTrail Rider

Aug 04, 2017#1

Does anyone know how much weight in lbs they can lose on the DR if

1) Remove the stock exhaust and replace it with....?

2) Convert to a Lithium Battery

3) Remove the rear foot pegs?

4) Change to lighter rims?

I can't imagine the DR650 getting near 300lbs even with the most extreme adjustments.

Thoughts?

Trail RiderTrail Rider

Aug 04, 2017#2

You might have 15 lbs there.... Go on a diet, it will be far more productive than trying to replace/eliminate parts of your bike. :empathy:

Adventure RiderAdventure Rider

Aug 04, 2017#3

The first version of my DR900 stroker weighed in at 320lb. That was in 'streetfighter' trim - clip-on handlebars, Clarke tank, Shorai battery, shortened FMF PowerCore, chopped subframe, no armor of any kind. It would take a HUGE effort to get down to a true 300lb and still be trail-worthy.

DRRiders Technical Documentation Expert

Aug 04, 2017#4

Learned in my younger years: weight loss is a money pit. Wrong bike IMO.

Spend your money on suspension and a seat, then
          2004 DR650 71,454 miles :-)
          WR250R

Threewheelbonnie:
          "BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

My DR650 technical photos (but none of the cool stories that go with 'em), FEEL FREE TO COPY AND SHARE: http://er70s-2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycling

Aug 04, 2017#5

I second the personal weight loss part. Makes a HUGE difference in everything else you do besides riding. Other than that the bike already weighs only 365 lbs. wet. i would say don't sweat it too much.

For comparison the KLR650 is 400++ LOL! And the Honda XR650L is at 330 lbs wet (around there), the DRZ400 is at 318 lbs. wet. Neither of those last two have a rear subframe to allow you to carry anything more than some token weight behind you. That my or may not matter to some.

But yeah. Lightweight makes the bike so much easier to ride.

Single TrackerSingle Tracker

Aug 04, 2017#6

The rear pegs and new rims will be negligible compared to the battery and muffler. Swapping the muffler and battery account for some weight but not likely as much as you're expecting. I know that my DG weighs significantly less than the stock muffler, and the same can be said for my Shorai battery but I don't know what the actually numbers are.
              2012 DR650SM/SE
              adam728 wrote:Don't lose any sleep over it. It's a DR, a two wheeled farm tractor. Not a space shuttle.
              "Unless you're going to a show or picking up tail, if you've got time to detail your bike, you've got time to put miles on your bike. Don't worry about what it looks like and ride the motherf*****"

-My Uncle Tom

Aug 04, 2017#7

blkfenders wrote:You might have 15 lbs there.... Go on a diet, it will be far more productive than trying to replace/eliminate parts of your bike. :empathy:
                This (ie the diet)

The 60 lbs I've lost so far is >> 15 lbs...

Aug 04, 2017#8

ER70S-2 wrote:Spend your money on suspension and a seat, then
                  This also.

Except I would say suspension then jet

I have strangely become accustomed to the OEM seat :s_no

SuperMoto DudeSuperMoto Dude

Aug 04, 2017#9

Yep,
                    Best weight loss is to put the fork down.

Single TrackerSingle Tracker

Aug 04, 2017#10

There was a build on here a while back where the guy was cutting every gram he could off the bike, to the point or swapping out the bolts with titanium, cutting off the tabs for the helmet lock, passenger pegs, side stand safety switch, cutting out any unnecessary wires and weighing even the smallest piece. I don't recall there ever being a final weight though.

EDIT:
                      Here it is- DR790SM Weight Weenie
                      2012 DR650SM/SE
                      adam728 wrote:Don't lose any sleep over it. It's a DR, a two wheeled farm tractor. Not a space shuttle.
                      "Unless you're going to a show or picking up tail, if you've got time to detail your bike, you've got time to put miles on your bike. Don't worry about what it looks like and ride the motherf*****"

-My Uncle Tom

Read more posts (28 remaining)