www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:51 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:35 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Been running the X-3 for about a year now and finally got around to adding a Powerbomb header. The X-3 came with the long, quiet(er) insert pre-installed which sounds just right to me. After installing the header, I noticed that it took just a tiny edge off the sound level so I figured 'what the heck, I'll try the short insert' to see about getting a db or two back. Well, it sounds like I gained about 5-6 db! now very "braaapy" with even sharper decel popping. To some that may be a good thing but its too much for me so the long one is going back in.
So just an FYI for the X-3 owners who haven't experimented, the sound level differences of the long and short baffles are fairly dramatic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:48 am 

Cashmere, Wa.
Agreed. I found I had more gusto using the shorter baffle with my jd modded bst40. The loudness and backfiring was annoying to me. Once I added the tm40, I tried the longer baffle and was delighted with the results. The only drawback is the wildlife don't here me coming as well. I have to be more careful when coming around corners/turns in the fireroads.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:28 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

My findings on the X3 short baffle and FMF Powerbomb combination was exactly as you described SV650Racer. The Powerbomb reduced the deeper exhaust note of the X3 to a very small but noticeable degree. So I figured, hey, I can deal with louder so I swapped the X3's long insert with the short insert. But after I put on the short insert on the X3, the sound coming out of it was REALLY loud even with a full face helmet, hearing protection, and wind noise! It only took one ride and I went right back to the long insert for my X3. People walking down the sidewalks would turn around and look at what's coming up, drivers would literally swerve over a bit when they heard me coming, etc. I figured it wouldn't be long before the cops would want to meet me, or at least know when I'm coming and get their radar guns on the ready. Been there done that before and got the tickets to prove it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:20 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

It would be interesting to see what the db meter would show with the short insert. PC says 84 db with the long one and most other aftermarket cans are 94-99 db. I'm guessing maybe a little less than 94 db but its still loud. I know that the db scale is not linear so from 84 to 94 is not 11 percent louder, its much greater than that. All those folks running around with the loud cans (and many probably need repacking to boot!) must be conditioned to the 'sound and the fury' to not be irked.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:44 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

SV650racer wrote:
It would be interesting to see what the db meter would show with the short insert. PC says 84 db with the long one and most other aftermarket cans are 94-99 db. I'm guessing maybe a little less than 94 db but its still loud. I know that the db scale is not linear so from 84 to 94 is not 11 percent louder, its much greater than that. All those folks running around with the loud cans (and many probably need repacking to boot!) must be conditioned to the 'sound and the fury' to not be irked.

+1 I'm curious as well. I know my setup is much louder than stock, it sounds better, but is undoubtedly louder. I have TM40, Powerbomb, and LV3. I put the short insert in at the beginning, just to hear it. I heard it, and promptly pulled it out and replaced it with the long insert and haven't even thought about ever changing. I like the sound of the muffler, and don't think it's too loud, but the intake honk on the open air box does seem to grate on my nerves a bit.

I like the additional power, but there are always tradeoffs.... :s_dunno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:59 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

blkfenders wrote:
SV650racer wrote:

+1 I'm curious as well. I know my setup is much louder than stock, it sounds better, but is undoubtedly louder. I have TM40, Powerbomb, and LV3. I put the short insert in at the beginning, just to hear it. I heard it, and promptly pulled it out and replaced it with the long insert and haven't even thought about ever changing. I like the sound of the muffler, and don't think it's too loud, but the intake honk on the open air box does seem to grate on my nerves a bit.

Open airbox as in modded top or open airbox as in removed side cover? Because the latter would explain the nerve grating with certainty.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:37 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

mxrob wrote:
blkfenders wrote:
SV650racer wrote:

Open airbox as in modded top or open airbox as in removed side cover? Because the latter would explain the nerve grating with certainty.

Open top as per Procycle's recommendation with TM40 kit