www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:31 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:53 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Pretty sure taking the door off is overkill if you have opened the top of the box up all the way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:49 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

CraftWerks wrote:
Pretty sure taking the door off is overkill if you have opened the top of the box up all the way.

It is overkill and probably has a negative effect. Air boxes do serve a bigger purpose than just keeping the air filter sheltered.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:54 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Well, if it's "overkill" then I'd like me some more of it!

The bike is faster and feels more powerful with no noticeable dips in its power curve that can be felt from the rider's seat. It's that much more fun to ride and that's most important to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:50 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DesertRogue wrote:
Well, if it's "overkill" then I'd like me some more of it!

The bike is faster and feels more powerful with no noticeable dips in its power curve that can be felt from the rider's seat. It's that much more fun to ride and that's most important to me.

As long as you feel the bike is running good no need to search further. I bet though you be surprised at difference between machine dyno testing/tuning data verses seat of the pants dyno testing/tuning. Often times what "feels" good AKA seat of the pants is actually underperformance or a masked over area of the power curve.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:58 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I get what you mean. And on a fuel injected bike with a sophisticated, tuned air box, I'd say yes. But on a carbureted DR 650 with a simple box to protect the air cleaner, I'm not so concerned. However, I'd like to see dyno charts that show power loss after the air box has been opened up beyond just the top being cut. I say that without taking any offense...I'd like to know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:53 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:Roost: :Horse :BevButt:

2 nuts, 2 wheels, 2 beers...
OK, so what's the speed of dark?
You gotta have SACS to ride a DR!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:07 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

3shot wrote:
whats with your electrical? i dont recognize those 2 cable sleeves, and that bar.....is it some weird California thing? this is going to bother me. :s_smile

and i see a upper chain roller

The items that look like cable sleeves are springs over the 8mm tubing the goes back to the cannister system. The metal bar is just a support for those protected lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:47 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Thanks to MxRob's help, I cleaned all that CA crap off my DR. Removed maybe only a pound or two, but it looks much cleaner. Also, I moved the toolkit to the new hidden location. Definitely recommend it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:39 pm 

Hello Desert Rouge, I'm just curious about your fuel mileage after taking off the airbox side panel and cutting the top. I was thinking to test this on my bike but like to hear your experience first.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:36 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I just put 400 miles on the bike since this change and the fuel mileage is 48-52 mpg in mixed riding, but includes a lot of 75-85 mph highway runs with a few WOT sessions.

More important is that I had to reposition the BST's secondary air tube further away from the top opening. The cone now sits ahead of the rear shock instead of next to it. The air intake from the opened top and sides of the airbox was strong enough to cause surging at 4,800-5,500 RPM. Now that surging is gone. But man! Short of internal engine mods, this engine pulls noticeably stronger starting at low RPM. It's easier climbing hills even in a taller gear. I'm now thinking of opening up the right side of the box and jetting up to a 160 main. I believe that extra breath of fresh air from the right side will give me more! I'm well passed the point of no return in turning my bike into a more street oriented hooligan bike so I figure I'll go the next step. It is so different now from that docile Dual Sport back in the beginning!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next