www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:31 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Delkevic exhaust systems
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:55 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Hi Gize, do any of you have any experience with these exhaust systems?
http://www.delkevic.co.uk/index.php?rou ... ch=dr650se
They certainly look nice, and the price is right.

Also, is carbon fibre a permanent, robust solution as a muffler, compared to stainless steel? There's very little weight difference - <300 grams.

And another query: They say that all of their systems fit DR650SE (1996-1998). Have the exhaust systems for DRs changed at all since then?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:11 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It'll fit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:34 pm 

The guy I got my '96 DR from told me he tried a Delkevic exhaust on his newer (2013) bike. I don't know which one he tried, but he took it off and went back to stock because it was way too loud to ride in his residential neighborhood. I see that they offer several different sizes/shapes of mufflers, so maybe he got one of the smaller ones, I don't know.

Also, maybe it doesn't matter in Oz, but those don't come with a spark arrestor. That's a problem over here.

If you try one, I hope you'll post your findings for the rest of us.

Cheers! :drinks:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:42 pm 

I have the 1st full system in the US. Stainless quality is very nice. Header is slightly larger diameter than stock so breathes well. I have the 14" oval can that sounds very bold and does crackle on deceleration. No usfs spark arrested may be an issue but the sound, performance and looks for the price is awesome. All for $200 less than a Leo Vince slip on alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:58 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I've had there exhaust on my ST1300 for over 5 years. And probably over 50,000 miles. I have been nothing but pleased with them. I have a FMF system on my DR.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:48 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Many thanx gize. I'm not aware of spark arresters being required in Oz - perhaps in NSW or The Peoples Republik of Viktoria, but certainly not here in West Oz. Being a country kid myself, noise is no big issue either. We've got a full million sq miles to play in and only 2 million people to share it with, and 1.6 million of them live in the capital city.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:15 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Finally got an answer from them, pointing me at their Oz distributor. If you're in the market for full systems or slip-ons, have a look here:
http://delkevic.com.au/index.php?route= ... (1996-2017)
Of course there's still the Pommy site for those closer to than we antipodeans.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:41 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I would avoid a CF canister the heat over time won't be kind to it and in a fall it will fracture the resin where aluminum or SS will just dent plus you can weld on a metal canister.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:00 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

LA Thumper wrote:
I would avoid a CF canister the heat over time won't be kind to it and in a fall it will fracture the resin where aluminum or SS will just dent plus you can weld on a metal canister.

I have Arrow carbon fiber mufflers on my Ducati and there hasn't been a problem. The really nice thing about CF other than being light weight is it doesn't hold heat. I can run my bike at race pace and the CF is never to hot to touch. If you ever had a bike with a undetailed exhaust CF mufflers are a godsend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:43 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

PerazziMx14 wrote:
I have Arrow carbon fiber mufflers on my Ducati and there hasn't been a problem. The really nice thing about CF other than being light weight is it doesn't hold heat. I can run my bike at race pace and the CF is never to hot to touch. If you ever had a bike with a undetailed exhaust CF mufflers are a godsend.

On a street bike especially with an undertail exhaust which will fry your buns off I would agree with regard to heat (V-twins are the worst for exhaust heat). On a dirt bike the canister is vulnerable to damage. Overtime CF can get pretty ratty looking exposed to heat and UV it gets dull, yellows and gets scratched. Long term aluminum or SS will never degrade and can be made to look new just using scotch brite and can be polished. It's a personal preference but something to be considered. The 2000-2001 gixxer canister is the best muffler you can get for the DR the sound it makes is pure sex ......... IMO :s_smile