www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:33 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Nice rant, Grifter - love it. :good:

I rode in some nice full sized Toyota vans in Costa Rica - thought the same thing.

If it fits the purpose, a great option. I put Firestone air bags on my Tundra for when the load gets up there - mostly when I had my toy hauler. Easy install and they help a lot.

I do like the "away from prying eyes" part of a van but recently put a shell on the Tundra to function as my escape pod, so rigging a carrier across the back.

2007 WR450

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:02 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

adam728 wrote:
At 200 hp it IS a powerhouse. My second truck was a 1992 K1500 with the TBI 4.3L, with a whopping 160 hp. ...
Some nice clean trucks you've had Adam. The Vortec version of the 4.3 apparently upped the horses, but I still can't get better than 18 mpg on the highway and 15 mpg is more typical, where the new V8 powered trucks are now capable of near 20 mpg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:03 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

Honestly I've been running these for the last 4 years

Powerfull.......said no one ever, 154hp 274ft-lbs and 6,000lbs

But 24mpg all day any day

They are slightly temperamental but by two have been very reliable

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:33 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The Sprinters are great but expensive (unless totally clapped out). The people mover ones like you have are cool for a lot of bikes and people and the Diesel ones are really amazing on economy. :2_thumbsup:

Luckily, I almost never take more than two bikes. Mostly just me, maybe a buddy on occasion. The E150 Econoline is pretty good to drive, not bad to park. Can go into low height underground parking lots. :2_thumbsup:

The newer line of Ford Vans have some interesting options but most all in the $40 range to start. No thanks.

I paid $12K for my Van when it was 4 years old, had 30K on it, was dinged up but had not been too over loaded (or so it appeared!) The dealer had fixed all the dents and dings and re-painted it, new tires. A private party deal would have been better ... but I could not find one that fit my purposes.

The OP is talking $5K. Hard to find anything truly reliable and nice for $5K ... probably have to go with an old Toyota pick up ... the engines last but the entire rest of the truck will need service: suspension, bushings, steering, wheel bearings, cooling, belts, F.I. or Carb work.

All may need service after 100K miles ... but if well maintained engine can go over 250K miles. :drinks:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:52 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Old post I know, but I wanted to share my experience when I went shopping for my FIRST pick up truck ever (although I owned a few SUV's and one Jeep CJ7).

I started shopping for a pick up with a REALLY low budget of $5k-$10k here in California. I realized that most of these trucks in this price range were well into their 150k mileage and most where not cared for. Some were approaching 200k+ miles! [What you say? You want $15k for your fully loaded 10-year old truck with 198k miles on it?] I did find a few diamonds in the rough so to speak, they were v6 powered full size work trucks that looked clean (who really knows). Most work trucks are used for, well.....work. Job sites. Uncaring drivers. Start the engine in the morning and go WOT in the first mile kind of work trucks.

Anyway, I ended up with a "slightly used" Ex-U-Haul GMC Sierra with 7k miles on it. Wow! Yeah. You would think it was cherry! It wasn't. The body was beat up and the interior smelled of cigarette smoke. But it has the 5.3 liter Ecotec V8 and 6-speed auto in a 2WD, 8-foot bed single cab "work truck plus" configuration (very rare unless ordered as fleet). Most times they came with the excellent 4.3 Ecotec direct injected V6. So my truck is lightweight & fast with that V8 under the hood! I got it for $20k still with factory warranty. I did have to spend another $3k to fix the beat up body and bed...it was THAT bad. I don't know if I got a great deal or if I got ripped off really. But now the truck is 100%. I kept the U-Haul head bar protector just to remind me of my truck's beginnings. I don't want to know how she was abused and raped by uncaring renters. I'm sure she was. :cry: But I feel like I saved a great, simple and pure pick up truck from certain destruction! And I really do enjoy driving this truck. I love that I can just put anything back there without worrying if it was too big or too dirty. Finally, I know it's just 2WD but I can drive her on broken pavement or dirt roads without worry.

Good luck to the OP in his search.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:49 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

nice thread for EU guys like me...
such a different mentality - here trucks are typically owned at the rural areas by anyone with some farming occupation besides 1-2 normal cars in most homes that own a truck ... unless the guy is poor which means a simple beaten 2WD truck along a decade old small car as a single 4WD double cab would not survive real work in the long run to fit the rest of the family needs - unless he uses the farmer’s tax excemption to own a bling fitted double cabin truck for ego reasons while he is not occupied in any farming activity himself

I wonder what the OP finally purchased

40 GOTO 10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:07 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Mi_ka wrote:
nice thread for EU guys like me...
such a different mentality - here trucks are typically owned at the rural areas by anyone with some farming occupation besides 1-2 normal cars in most homes that own a truck ...
Add construction along with farming and your description may fit a lot more of us than you realize. I live in a rural area and make a living at residential construction and raising livestock(Dexter Cattle) on a small scale, and as a family must have a multi-vehicle insurance policy, plus the (2) street legal motorcylces.
Mi_ka wrote:
I wonder what the OP finally purchased
Me too :lurk:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:52 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I've been observing how truck owners in the US (at least in my region, which is the urban centers of the West Coast), use their trucks and why they choose what they choose.

Most folks here use their trucks as their personal vehicle and they have families. So a 4-door or at least one with opening rear "hatches" with a small backseat is a must to be a practical family truckster. Then there are LARGE numbers of pick up trucks owned by general contractors (electricians, gardeners, farmers, construction, etc.). I believe this is where the term "work truck" was coined to begin with. Then there are also a good number of folks who are outdoors people who use their trucks for hauling "sporting equipment" (bicycles, canoes, camping, etc.). Finally, there are the folks who just want to portray the image of having a truck and these are the ones who buy the fully loaded, chrome laden pick up trucks. Personally, I fall within the practical family truckster, adventure-outdoorsman, work truck, and poser owner. Although my truck is about as plain jane as any truck can be except it has chrome bumpers and a grille.

I've been to Asia and Mexico, and pick up trucks are really popular there. Albeit in Asia, their trucks are much smaller! A mid-size truck like a Tacoma would be physically huge in Asia (except maybe China).

Anyway, here in the good old USA, pick up trucks reign supreme. Each and every year, Ford, GM, and Chrysler altogether sell 1.5 MILLION, yes million, pick up trucks here. It is embedded within our culture. The next most popular vehicle type is the Mid-size 4-door Sedan (Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Fusion), which usually have sales numbers in the 600k-800k units/year. In my personal experience, living out in the wide open Western USA, driving around in a little compact car, will get you cut off more often, tailgated, and generally bullied by all the larger SUV's, minivans, and pick up trucks that fill the roads. This happens way more often in more dense population centers, and less so in rural areas. But it's pervasive and not just my imagination. I believe that's primarily because our big vehicles here are often oozing with horsepower that even a work truck with a V6 can go head to head with a mid-size family car, not to mention smoke mere compact cars with 4-cylinder engines! Hell! Even the RAM ProMaster (Fiat Ducato in Europe) fitted with the gasoline V6 can move fairly quickly!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:56 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DesertRogue wrote:
Ford Fusion

I believe what we call a “Ford Fusion” over here pretty much showcases the mentality and mileage difference between our continents...

40 GOTO 10