www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:59 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:48 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

i buy and sell cars as a hobby on the side. The quick answer is buy a good used 4x4 5 speed tacoma, its always going to be reliable and always have resale value and desirability. these are my personal experience, no stero typing or bashing other vehicles, literally what i have experience first hand.

here a list of engines that are common in trucks and some issues

Ford
4.0 v6 had some timing chain issues in the later generations which were garbage
4.6 v8, weak but durable, decent on fuel
5.4 v8, cam Phasere issues, dreaded spark plug issues (snapp off in the head), occasional timing chain issues
6.0/6.4 diesels STAY AWAY!!/ HPOP, head gaskets, heads, injecotros total pain in the ass
7.3 deisel, engine its self is a tank, but does have HPOP issuse and they love to leak oil, but this is an older engine these days
6.7 gen 1 had turbo issues, later resolved in 2013 i believe
Trition V10, a dam good engine if maintained, but horrible fuel mielage

GM/Chevy
4.3 v6 is a tank
4.8/5.3 pretty solid motors, certain years had so cam failure issues the trashed the top end of the motor, later resolved
6.0 gas pretty solid, 10 MPG down hill coasting
duramax diesels, LB7 and LLY engines had injector issues most covered by warranty under 100k mi, later head gasket issues, most on the road have been done by now. LBZ is the motor you want if you are looking at a GM diesel, but be ready to fork out $20k for a 10 year old truck :whistling: after that the LMM was introduced with DPF, then the LML and LP5....stay away form any diesel with emissions........nothing but a pain in the ass.

Dodge
V6's blow.....they are minivan engines and not met to be in a truck
4.7 v8 are a joke, they eat main bearings and head gaskets
5.2 and 5.9's are tough engine (318 and 360 cid), but weak on power and horrible fuel mielage
Hemi's are decent i never really had an issue with one, but again horrible fuel mielage
Cummins not a lot to worry about,12 valves are dam good engines they had a dowel pin issue on the cam but if its still on the road by not it was either not and issues on the one or it has had the KDP fix the first generations of the 24 valve had injection pump failures, later 5.9's were all good, even the 6.7's.....rite up the introduction of the DPF in 2007.5
and as all dodges AUTO TRANS SUCK

Toyotas.........if its been maintained its going to last. i am not a toyota fan, but you cannot kill them.
4 cyls are all good
3.0 and 3.4's zero power, horrid fuel efficency, but they dont die
4.7's zero power, no fuel mielage
5.7 power house

Nissan's i have not owned many, spent some time with an old hard body it ran and ran by rotted out in a place where the is no salt
titan 5.6 v8...never had a real problem out of it just annoying small stuff like exhaust manifold gaskets, cats, interior pieces, and horrible on fuel.

Honda ridgeline: lots of people told me it wasn't a real truck but i disagree it took more abuse than any american truck i've ever owned
i literally tired to kill that truck and it never missed a beat, and when i traded it in with a 1/4 inch of lake water in the floor boards from launching a jet ski out of the bed a day prior and the oil pan dented in from me jumping it.... they gave me $2k over trade in value :OMG: :OMG: . so i cannot really complain about it

oh and only buy a 4x4 truck, my experinces is a 2wd truck is dam near impossible to sell.

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:12 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I run a delivery fleet of 12 2008-2009 C10 Chevy with 4.3X. Routinely get 400,000-500,000 mi. till the transmissions give out. They run all day 5 days a week. only thing other than normal maintenance is they seem to eat gauge clusters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:39 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I've got a 96 tacoma 2.4l manual transmission, mine is extended can, 6'bed, and low to the ground (work truck), super easy to load a bike or two. 170k miles and all I've done to it is maintenance: oil changes at 5k (factory recommends every 10k), brake pads and tires plus the occasional AC boost. Clutch lasted until 155k. No leaks, no oil usage, still has stock compression numbers, really has needed nothing and will likely need nothing for the next 155k now that the clutch has been replaced. 24mpg avg over my ownership, but I've seen closer to 30mpg regularly.

Compared to all the American v8's, this truck doesn't have a ton of power, but it easily meets the needs of highway driving even when hauling a load, getting me easily cruising at 80. But then, compared to those big trucks, mine gets twice the fuel efficiency and is stubbornly reliable.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

i have a 2009 tacoma, 2.7 4cyl. 4 speed, has about 150k miles. All i ever done was basic maintenance. I consider it just broken in. The engine is bulletproof, you can work them pretty hard. They tow alright in 3rd, Their tail gates are super flimsily tho, when i load my dr in it, id put a 3/4" plywood down.Now i got a reinforced plate on it, super strong now.

2nd gens have a few issues, well the frame rust for one.... but overall, i was just looking at the 3rd gen ones, i'd buy anyother in heartbeat. Its a great lightweight truck.

have you considered mabye a car & trailer?

you might be able to find something easier that way with your budget.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:49 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Crash - great list!

My 4.7 V8 in the Tundra does not have the power of a "full sized" truck, but I towed within it's limits (7000 GVWR) in a lot of conditions with no issues. I'm reasonable and if I need to go 50 up a grade to be safe and not overwork things, I do.

I just got back from a 3000 mile loop from So Cal to So UT over to CO - across to UT and back. Not towing - 17.5 MPG. I'm okay with that. 75,000 miles on the truck. Speed limit in So UT is 80.

And 4WD is regional. In most of CA - 2WD is way more common. UT & CO - 4WD as probably where you are.

2007 WR450

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:00 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

galland1 wrote:
I run a delivery fleet of 12 2008-2009 C10 Chevy with 4.3X. Routinely get 400,000-500,000 mi. till the transmissions give out. They run all day 5 days a week. only thing other than normal maintenance is they seem to eat gauge clusters.

+1 I've run two AWD Astro vans into the dirt with the 4.3. Not the most efficient engine but it doesn't seem to be killable. Pulls my enclosed MC trailer with no problems and holds full sheets of plywood. Best "work truck(s)" I've ever owned. Bummed they stopped making them. My current one has 200+K miles and runs like a champ.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:36 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Me 2 on the Chevy 4.3 V6, in my 2002 extra cab 2wd Silverado, which I bought used 10 years ago. Putting on over 90K miles in that time, just oil changes with one tuneup/distributor and a new serpentine belt. At 200 HP it's no powerhouse but adequate for most needs. I frequently haul lumber up to 20 ft. in length over a headache rack behind the cab and 2 weeks ago with a trailer, hauled 50 bales of hay ( 30 bales per ton) , 32 on the trailer and 18 on the truck.

But I've owned various other Japanese and American pickups over the years and never really had a lemon, sold each one in running condition after having used it several years. To get the best deal on a reliable used pickup you need to have some flexibility. Do not be stuck on one make or model. Look for the lowest possible mileage on a vehcile in the best possible condition for the money you're going to spend. As previously mentioned, the most desireable truck you find that meets your needs might well be from an older man who has taken good care of the vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:19 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

WoodRat wrote:
Me 2 on the Chevy 4.3 V6, in my 2002 extra cab 2wd Silverado, which I bought used 10 years ago. Putting on over 90K miles in that time, just oil changes with one tuneup/distributor and a new serpentine belt. At 200 HP it's no powerhouse but adequate for most needs. I frequently haul lumber up to 20 ft. in length over a headache rack behind the cab and 2 weeks ago with a trailer, hauled 50 bales of hay ( 30 bales per ton) , 32 on the trailer and 18 on the truck.

But I've owned various other Japanese and American pickups over the years and never really had a lemon, sold each one in running condition after having used it several years. To get the best deal on a reliable used pickup you need to have some flexibility. Do not be stuck on one make or model. Look for the lowest possible mileage on a vehcile in the best possible condition for the money you're going to spend. As previously mentioned, the most desireable truck you find that meets your needs might well be from an older man who has taken good care of the vehicle.

At 200 hp it IS a powerhouse. My second truck was a 1992 K1500 with the TBI 4.3L, with a whopping 160 hp.

Couldn't be killed though. Sold it somewhere around 160,000 miles. Only "issue" was a puff of blue smoke on cold start, never enough to even use any oil over 3,000 miles.

Now I have another 92, but this time a C2500. The 8600 GVWR version, which means lower compression and even sadder power. 190 hp 350. Good truck, but I bragged about how un-kill-able it was and a week later popped a head gasket thanks to overheating while plowing (my dumbass put on an electric fan and didn't have the thermo-switch setup correctly). Thing is a beast for payload, rated at something like 3230 lbs if I remember correctly. That's around 2400 lbs in the bed below.

All that said, grew up with my parents owning 3 different 4.3L Astro's, and wife and I also owned one up until about 2 years ago. Anvil of an engine. The crappy mileage was my biggest gripe, especially when my father got a Vortec 350 powered 3/4 ton that had WAY more power than my 4.3 half ton, and still got better mpg.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:40 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Tricky question for Americans. We generally wear our egos on the sleeve of our trucks. I personally own Chevrolet's but I'll certainly take anything reliable. Crash's post sums up the things to avoid. Stay away from things that are out of the norm. If a US made truck gets a bad rap the news travels VERY fast. I've had friends swear by Toyotas for good reason. The bad thing is that the people who own them think they're worth what they paid for them 10 years ago - or more! As for my chevys - I've owned most of them - as far as engines 250CI(6), 4.3L(6), 5.3(8), 350CI(8), 454CI(8), None have failed. I have had 1 transmission failure in 30 years. Some have gone 200K miles. I really like the Chevy LS engines in particular. I have 4 chevy trucks in my stable and 1 Jeep.

But for me:
If you want American go Chevy or Ford. If you want Japanese go Toyota. If Chevy or Ford, stay in the 1/2 ton size. You have more chance of it just being just a "driver" most of its life as opposed to working in a strip mine. Americas dig trucks and use them as primary transportation (I do). I'd love to try the Toyotas but they just seem a bit pricey in the used market. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one new though.

If you stay in the 1/2 ton range and compare chevys and fords... I'd toss a coin or just pick the one with the least rust :s_wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:43 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just to go a bit against Pick Up Truck Kool-Aid here ... do you really, truly need a PICK UP truck? What's it good for? Think about it. To look cool? For real "work"? Or what? I've only owned two pickups and that was enough to know they are useless for me for the most part and terrible for hauling bikes.

I discovered used VW Vans early 70's traveling Mexico, living in Guatemala. Horrible things those VW's. But then I remembered the Ford E150 work van I drove as a teen for the liquor store. You could not kill that van.

I bought my first "real" van in 1995 or so. Ford E150, small V8. For me the perfect van for motorcycles, camping (remember, you can sleep in your van when rainy/cold ... even great as work WORK vehicle!

Your bike is OUT OF SITE, (unlike Pick Up), less chance for theft. And what about all your stuff? Ever seen what pick up truck guys do with their stuff? It's a joke, cramped and UNTIDY! Add a buddy and you're really screwed in so many ways. (been there done that riding with Pick Up owning buddies)

Van advantages?
1. Shame that Toyota don't import a full size Van :s_laughat
2. Bike is out of site, relatively safe, dry. (Cover it and it vanishes inside to prying eyes)
3. Your stuff can be loaded in easy/fast, stays safe & dry and organized.
4. MUCH easier to load/unload up a motorcycle vs. a Pick Up Truck because of much lower Deck height. No buddy needed, no disastrous loading Cock-ups. (For DR I Unscrew the mirrors before loading. Less than 5 min.)
5. My Vans have all had a back seat ... and that still leaves room for up to 3 bikes. I've taken myself + two buddies all the way to
Baja and back, no issues. (see pics below)

Power? My current Van (2001 E150 basic) uses small 4.6 liter Triton V8. PLENTY power even with
3 guys, 3 bikes and a TON of crap for month long trip. Decent economy. (18 to 22)
Getting ready to load 3rd bike in backwards. Tight but it works!
All three loaded with riding gear, a TON of crap for my friend's house in Baja. (construction materials)

Problem finding a good used Van is similar to pick ups ... many are over used work trucks, clapped out, not serviced, maybe abused.
But the basic Ford engine I found to be good ... but not everything is perfect with these Vans. I've had 3 coil over plug coils go bad ($80 each) and after running hard while loaded up driving off road in Baja ... entire front end had to be rebuilt. ($2300) (But this unusual use and if treated better would not have happened)

Unless you travel serious back country year round then you DO NOT need 4 wheel drive. Expensive, HEAVY (reduced fuel economy) and further maintenance issues.

My 4.6 E150 loaded with me, girl friend, DR650, ton of stuff = 20-22 MPG all day at 65 to 70 MPH. Not bad. In mountains this drops to about 15 to 18.

As mentioned above most young guys buy fancy pick up for show/ego/machismo. They never use it for it's intended purpose and would never haul horse sh*t in it ... which really is all a Pick Up is good for :fool: ... that and to cruise around town posing with LOUD muffler, HUGE tires/wheels, winch and $1000 Bumper ... and pumping the sub Woofer! :BevButt:

My VAN is CLEAN inside, the E150 has very soft suspension, rides like a dream, but does sag with 3 bikes/people. The E250 suspension is far firmer but these are LOTS more $$$, HARSH on highway when empty. I prefer the E150 as usually it's just me, girl friend and one bike at most.

If you must have a Pick UP... then find a nice, maintained Toyota 4 cylinder, NO FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. Great engine, goes forever. Not great on fuel on these older ones but good truck.

A Van is a FAR MORE multi purpose vehicle (same as the DR650!). When I was working I transported $100K worth of Audio equipment to LA and back DOZENS of time. Low Profile is GOOD. Not one breakdown ... or BREAK IN! Try to buy from someone that did not load up your truck/Van heavy and then worked it like a Dog. Those trucks are FINISHED. Move on. Good luck.
RANT OFF! :diablo:

Last edited by DR Grifter on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.