www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:20 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DR650 Clutch Issue
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:00 pm 

Repair or Replace?

G'day. I'm new here. A first time DR650 owner and a +30y bike addict. Here's my current biking dilemma.

I Couldn't shift from 1st to neutral while stationary and bike running. Turns out that's because clutch not doing a damn thing. Tried adjusting out but when got clutch to operate, had no free play at lever. Drained oil and stripped side cover off and this is what i found. Groves in baskets are around 0.4-0.6mm deep. Many recommend filing but after filing 4 sections smooth again, i'm concerned that the amount of lost metal will create problems caused by poor tolerance of clutch plates. Takes me around 10min / segment to hand file smooth. That's 8hrs work ahead of me that i'm not real keen to do if i'm only going to be left with an ordinary clutch that i'll need to replace in the not to distant future.

Thoughts from personal experience, welcomed.

Cheers,
Pete...

Attachments:
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 206 times ]
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 206 times ]

Post subject: Re: DR650 Clutch Issue
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:45 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Replace

Found one on ebay that looks decent-ish: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172647593430 . Not perfect but much better than yours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:06 am 

Max Kool wrote:
Replace

Found one on ebay that looks decent-ish: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172647593430 . Not perfect but much better than yours.

Bit far from home, unfortunately. Have a Aus wrecker who says he has good condition sleeve hub and primary driven gear hub. Another $150 for a clutch kit and I should be back on track.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:37 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Also check/replace the clutch basket thrust washers and bushing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:41 pm 

ProCycle wrote:
Also check/replace the clutch basket thrust washers and bushing.

Yeah, thanks. These look o.k. Will check the manual and run my callipers over them before i begin the repair.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:01 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Check this thread --> http://drriders.com/topic6671.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:13 pm 

ProCycle wrote:

Thanks for that. I've read it several times and think I understand it all. Went and check mine and it looks like its showing signs of the same slipping. Bike has done 29,000K's. By the looks of the clutch basket, not all of them kind ones.
I'm buying new cable, primary drive, sleeve hub, springs and fibrous plates. Will include 2 new washers now as well. Sleeve seems ok, doesn't it?
Something that is puzzling me is what's made that pattern on the back of the sleeve hub. The washer (#8) is round and flat, so not something that would make the impression shape that's on the back of the sleeve hub. Weird....Any ideas on this?
Shout out if there's anything else i need to consider.
Thanks for the help :good:
Pete...

Attachments:
File comment: Sleeve Hub
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 128 times ]
File comment: Spacer
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 128 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:29 pm 

PeteDR wrote:
ProCycle wrote:

Thanks for that. I've read it several times and think I understand it all. Went and check mine and it looks like its showing signs of the same slipping. Bike has done 29,000K's. By the looks of the clutch basket, not all of them kind ones.
I'm buying new cable, primary drive, sleeve hub, springs and fibrous plates. Will include 2 new washers now as well. Sleeve seems ok, doesn't it?
Something that is puzzling me is what's made that pattern on the back of the sleeve hub. The washer (#8) is round and flat, so not something that would make the impression shape that's on the back of the sleeve hub. Weird....Any ideas on this?
Shout out if there's anything else i need to consider.
Thanks for the help :good:
Pete...

Couple more photos that wouldn't upload with the last post???

Attachments:
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg [ 253.47 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 127 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:39 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Yeah, thrust washer as sleeve (bushing) are worn out. I think you are saying you're puzzled by the wear on the flange of the sleeve? The transmission bearing race spins against it and wears into the face. Even though it is supposed to be bolted up tight there is enough drag on the bearing race to cause it to spin on the shaft. That spinning grinds these parts together and causes the wear. Once there i a few thousandths of wear the basket can no longer rotate freely.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:30 am 

ProCycle wrote:
Yeah, thrust washer as sleeve (bushing) are worn out. I think you are saying you're puzzled by the wear on the flange of the sleeve? The transmission bearing race spins against it and wears into the face. Even though it is supposed to be bolted up tight there is enough drag on the bearing race to cause it to spin on the shaft. That spinning grinds these parts together and causes the wear. Once there i a few thousandths of wear the basket can no longer rotate freely.

Hmmmm..Still confused. Are you saying both the washer and the sleeve are worn (1st and last pictures i posted)? As for the bit that puzzles me, if you look at the Sleeve Hub (3rd picture posted), there's a 4 edged mark on the hub. What puzzles me it the only thing that mates up to that surface, is a circular washer. Is it not? If, so, doesn't explain the shape of the marking on the hub. Does that make sense or am i just stupid?
If it helps, attached is the drawing where i'm referencing the part names from.

Also, for clarity, the transmission bearing race runs against a washer that sits between the sleeve flange and the race (as shown in the attached drawing), does it not? The slipping you refer to takes place between the bearing race and the washer face and is subsequently transferred to the sleeve flange via the other side of the washer. That's not how you described it in your explanation, hence why i'm now more confused.
The rest i'm fine with. I've trapped the bearing with my finger and rotated the transmutation shaft. There is quite a bit of drag there and it doses cause the race to spin, so i see how the washer and sleeve get worn.

I'm not sure what more the sleeve is going to cost me but i figure i'm already in for around $600 so far, so a few extra bucks to replace that as well, will be worth the peace of mind that comes with doing it. I'm assuming of course that my steel plates are fine for re-use. They look ok. I;m taking them to the Suzi dealer to get their opinion (they'll have to convince me if otherwise).

Out of interest, what oil is everyone running? I'm in Queensland Aus. Ave temps are 23 - 26 getting as hot as +40 (no ones riding then) and as cold as Zero (again, not likely to be a ride day). Humidity is rarely below 60% in cooler months and a pretty constant +80-90% through the hotter months, if that makes much of a difference to the choice of oil.

I've been a 2 stoke dirt bike rider for too long. Have forgotten all about these 4T service needs :biggrin:

I all that makes sense and I appreciate the info.

Pete...

Attachments:
Post96Clutch.png
Post96Clutch.png [ 79.93 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]