www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:16 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:05 am 

Hello all. Thought this would be the best place to ask.

Looking to get a nice sticky rear tire that will fit on the stock back rim. I'm running a 19 x 2.5" on the front, with a Shinko 777 120/90 I believe it is. I did one track day with a Shinko 705 on the back and it did fine, but I'm planning (hoping) to go a bit faster around the curves the next day at the track. Thought a dedicated street tire might be good insurance. Cheap is good too.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:17 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Metzeler ME55 / ME33 combo?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

badgerdog wrote:
Hello all. Thought this would be the best place to ask.

Looking to get a nice sticky rear tire that will fit on the stock back rim. I'm running a 19 x 2.5" on the front, with a Shinko 777 120/90 I believe it is. I did one track day with a Shinko 705 on the back and it did fine, but I'm planning (hoping) to go a bit faster around the curves the next day at the track. Thought a dedicated street tire might be good insurance. Cheap is good too.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I bet you'd like to get 20,000 miles out them as well.

I've run Shinko 712, Avon Rider, Shinko 777 and a Conti Sport. All easily were able to be thrown over until the pegs dragged. Miles was all about the same too with them being toast at around 1,800 to 2,000 miles of street riding. This is the main reason I gave up on the DR650 as my touring rig. Comfortable and capable but eats rear tires.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:00 pm 

Thanks guys!

Actually, no, I don't want 20,000 miles from them. I like getting new tires. Not every couple of weeks, but maybe 2 or 3 times a year is good. :drinks:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:40 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

badgerdog wrote:
Thanks guys!

Actually, no, I don't want 20,000 miles from them. I like getting new tires. Not every couple of weeks, but maybe 2 or 3 times a year is good. :drinks:

Only do 2 or 3 track days per year and you'll be fine :OMG:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:42 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

PerazziMx14 wrote:

I've run Shinko 712, Avon Rider, Shinko 777 and a Conti Sport. All easily were able to be thrown over until the pegs dragged. Miles was all about the same too with them being toast at around 1,800 to 2,000 miles of street riding. This is the main reason I gave up on the DR650 as my touring rig. Comfortable and capable but eats rear tires.

The DR can eat up rear tires if you're hard on tires riding tight twisty roads at speed. But touring? Should not be a problem getting over
5 to 8K miles on several different rear tires I've run on the DR. Most don't tour in Road Race mode. Once 1000 miles from home most moderate pace and aggressiveness, yes?

For the price, still hard to beat the Shinko E705. I get about 4K to 5K miles taking it easy. I ran a Kenda K270 on a Mexico trip. It's a 50/50
and worked well both on dirt and street. Not a track tire but GREAT longevity ... I got over 6,000 miles on the 270 (not bad for a $50 tire!)

Another couple good road based tires I've used on the DR are the original Michelin Anakee and Avon Distanzia. These rear tires should deliver in the 5K to 8K mile range. Both can handle steep lean angles and both give really good side grip at the limit in my experience.
The Anakee is GREAT on wet roads, best I've found for the DR650. The fronts are good too but you may find better Sport tires for front.

On the track ... the front tire is the important one. Buy a nice sticky sport touring or Sport tire ... not sure what all is available in a 19" size but I'm sure there are a few out there.

:drinks:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:43 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Conti Trail Attack II

Have 9k miles (ish) on my current rear tire. Will probably replace within 1000 miles. Don't let the name fool you - the tire is a sport-tour tire.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:53 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DR Grifter wrote:
PerazziMx14 wrote:

The DR can eat up rear tires if you're hard on tires riding tight twisty roads at speed. But touring? Should not be a problem getting over
5 to 8K miles on several different rear tires I've run on the DR. Most don't tour in Road Race mode. Once 1000 miles from home most moderate pace and aggressiveness, yes?

For the price, still hard to beat the Shinko E705. I get about 4K to 5K miles taking it easy. I ran a Kenda K270 on a Mexico trip. It's a 50/50
and worked well both on dirt and street. Not a track tire but GREAT longevity ... I got over 6,000 miles on the 270 (not bad for a $50 tire!)

Another couple good road based tires I've used on the DR are the original Michelin Anakee and Avon Distanzia. These rear tires should deliver in the 5K to 8K mile range. Both can handle steep lean angles and both give really good side grip at the limit in my experience.
The Anakee is GREAT on wet roads, best I've found for the DR650. The fronts are good too but you may find better Sport tires for front.

On the track ... the front tire is the important one. Buy a nice sticky sport touring or Sport tire ... not sure what all is available in a 19" size but I'm sure there are a few out there.

:drinks:

I toured on my DR for 2 years and never had a rear tire last over 2,000 miles. I could have eked a few more miles before cords showed but why risk it. Not sure how, where or if you do any significant riding but I can tell you for me a long weekend in central WV and the rear tire on the DR is coming back with a lot less rubber on it.

I have a buddy w/ a KLR who rides like an elderly gentleman early going over 55 mph he gets great fuel economy and a set of tires will probably last him a lifetime. He has just as much fun as anybody else just does it a lot slower.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:11 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It's the result of the Big Bangs of a 60Nm single cylinder... :s_tongue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:34 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

PerazziMx14 wrote:
I toured on my DR for 2 years and never had a rear tire last over 2,000 miles. I could have eked a few more miles before cords showed but why risk it. Not sure how, where or if you do any significant riding but I can tell you for me a long weekend in central WV and the rear tire on the DR is coming back with a lot less rubber on it.

I have a buddy w/ a KLR who rides like an elderly gentleman early going over 55 mph he gets great fuel economy and a set of tires will probably last him a lifetime. He has just as much fun as anybody else just does it a lot slower.

"Touring"? Bet you went through a mountain of tires! How many miles over 2 years? For me "Touring" means a LONG trip, usually out of state or out of country.

2000 miles is pretty short tire life, only tire I know that wears out that quick on the DR would be the stock Trailwing. Ridden hard, I've pretty much finished off a rear T-wing in about 2500 miles.

It's easy to flat spot a rear tire riding fast interstate, riding flat, boring non twisty roads. I ride a lot of serious twisty roads, so wear is more even as lean angles are fairly steep and tire center wears a bit more slowly.

Some Sports tires may wear faster than some of the dual sport tires I listed above, but would be best on Track when pushing things to the limit at full lean. As I noted above, I've found several good rear tires that have gone WELL beyond 2000 miles ... in serious hard riding on
challenging roads and OFF road too.

Maybe you're picking the wrong tires? Notable is the 50/50 Kenda 270 I mentioned. This tire really held up well! TOUGH!