www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:58 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:47 pm 

I was just at the Hatfield McCoy trails near Bramwell, WV this past weekend. Unfortunately they have had a lot of rain over the past few weeks so there was a lot of mud and slick trails.

What we found were that the trails were primarily being used by side-by-sides and 4-wheelers. Does anyone know of areas of the HMT system that is good for two wheels? Or anywhere in the Maryland area? I'm looking for someplace that allows untagged bikes since my son isn't old enough to get a license yet.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:41 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I know folk who have been to HMT, and they mentioned there is single track there as well

I know of no where in the PRMD that will fit the bill.

However, there is:
    Allegheny National Forest
    Mountain Ridge ATV
    Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area
    Reading Anthracite Company

All of which are in PA and both AOAA and RAC are closest to you.

LostInPA has some good vid of the last two trips we took to RAC properties in the vicinity of St Clair, PA. RAC only issues annual permits and you must have one prior to the trip.

It's kinda like Rura Penthe: there is no staff, there is no building to check in; get a permit and ride, otherwise be ejected from the property.

Permits can be had directly from the RAC offices, or via USPS.

AOAA has staff, a building and issues daily permits...

Last edited by N3YMY on Tue May 30, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:23 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Been to H&M 3 times now on the DR, we stay In Man.WV right on the Rockhouse trail, we usually run it and Bear Wallow up by Logan a couple times on our stay. Starting Last year the new Devil Anse trail started to open, fully opening this year, its a connector trail Between Rockhouse and Buffalo Mountain trails to the south, great ride, even some great pavement if you need to road ride it back. On these trails you are either climbing or going down, good fun!

Yes its huge with the SxS an quadtards, but we have never had much issues as we go early in the season(early to mid April) so its a bit less busy. We usually stick to green and blue trails and the odd black if we are felling crazy. The DR is a big bike for this but its doable and Ive faired well on mine, but I leave the single track to the guys that bring the 450,s we had one that was doable with the DR this year but some of it is beyond nasty. Early is noce as the leaves are not on or barely started and you get better views.

2014, 14 tooth front sproket and 244s front and rear, good fun

2016, 13t sprocket, front knobbly and 244 rear, great fun! it snowed, who,da thunk it :biggrin:

2017, 13t sprocket, knobbies all around, bike stripped, awesome fun :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:43 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

So in a nutshell from the places I know, Rockhouse, big area, can be wet but hard bottom so it dosent get rutted out by the quads. Bear wallow, smaller but quite a bit dryer. Devil anse, nice long connector trail , seemed good in most conditions, still new so poular.

Cheers, Todd

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:58 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It's been a while now, but I went there twice a year from about 2005-2010. Rockhouse was my favorite, between Gilbert and Mann. Once you get off the main trails and up in the hills, there's lots of challenging stuff on the blues and black trails. there was even some orange marked single track. DR is going to be a handful on a lot of those trails, I was on an XR400 for those trips. The larger faster green marked trails is where the quads and side by's live for the most part.