www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:31 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:14 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I have a opportunity to buy this GSXR exhuast (35F0). The seller wants to sell the header and pipe as a pair. I don't need the header and figure it would be hard to sell on its own. I'm wondering if you guys think I could *easily* use part of the header pipe and possibly my stock pipe to make a homemade mid pipe. I know really anything can be done but I'm looking for a easy and cheap solution. I haven't seen the pipe in person so I'm just going by the pictures and maybe the angles are way off. What do you guys think.

Twin Air filter
Sumo clutch kit
14 tooth front sprocket
NSU fix, kickstand switch delete
LED flashers

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:58 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

I don't see why not... but realize the stock muffler and it's connected mid-pipe is stainless steel. The 35F0 tubing is regular carbon steel AFAIK. You'd just want to use the correct weld rod/wire to connect the stainless portion to the carbon steel portion to prevent cracking of the welds. No reason it couldn't be done. Also don't be afraid to visit your local muffler shop. They have a lot of stuff that can help you with your project and can expand tubes for a correct fit. :good:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:01 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Since you are asking, I'm guessing you aren't a welder.

You can use the end flange and a bit of the stock pipe but you will need to connect to the DR head pipe.
The bends of the stock header will not match up unless you can cut and weld.
A cheap and easy way would be to use muffler flex tubing and clamps from your local auto parts store.
Not so clean as a proper bent midpipe but it isn't visible if you are using side covers.
And it is cheap!

You will need to figure out mounts too but if you are creative you can figure out something.
It is certainly fastest, cleanest, and a simple bolt on to just buy the midpipe from ProCycle though.

That said, I did weld my own midpipe but I have a mig welder and look for excuses to weld anything. (poorly) :OMG:

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:37 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

JagLite wrote:
Since you are asking, I'm guessing you aren't a welder.

You can use the end flange and a bit of the stock pipe but you will need to connect to the DR head pipe.
The bends of the stock header will not match up unless you can cut and weld.
A cheap and easy way would be to use muffler flex tubing and clamps from your local auto parts store.
Not so clean as a proper bent midpipe but it isn't visible if you are using side covers.
And it is cheap!

You will need to figure out mounts too but if you are creative you can figure out something.
It is certainly fastest, cleanest, and a simple bolt on to just buy the midpipe from ProCycle though.

That said, I did weld my own midpipe but I have a mig welder and look for excuses to weld anything. (poorly) :OMG:

I own a mig welder but am not a welder by trade. As i said i know anything can be done but I was thinking maybe someone had some first hand experience with using a piece of the gsxr header. No dedicated exhaust shops around here and pipe would be hard for me to source locally so that's why I was looking to use the material on hand I would have between the gsxr header and my stock exhaust.

Also playing into it is that the seller wants $150 which I think is pretty steep for not being the #1 option for gsxr pipes. It wouldn't be a bad price if the mid pipe won't cost me anything to make so that's kind of what I was going for.

Twin Air filter
Sumo clutch kit
14 tooth front sprocket
LED flashers

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I say go for it,you can do it,you know you can.It looks like you have the bends to cut and weld your own.Where there is a will there is a way.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:39 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Most importantly check the diameters. The GSXR pipe may not be the correct diameter to slip join with the DR header pipe.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:02 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

i did it with a 40 can.
it's not a perfect fit.
you do need to cut and rotate the mid pipe, maybe the 35 is different - dunno.
topic3555-1150.html#p209154

but my 40 can had a mild steel mid pipe, but that set up in your pic looks like there is no mid pipe ??

the only thing i needed to buy was a reducer to join the muffler mid pipe to the DR mid pipe. = $10 au from a pipe shop.

easiest way is mount the muffler, mount the old DR chopped stock mid pipe and then cut and join a bits in between from the 35.
this will help with all the tight fitting clearance issues around shock, frame and rear wheel travel.
mount your racks if you have them as well to check fitment.
Thanks BergDonk.

this vid has some stuff at the end of it, i sort of copied from for ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN1aU0G4YQE
Thanks Auscanvet..

as for joining stainless and mild steel,
i'm not a boilermaker by trade, but have a couple of welders.
i've also got a few mates who are by trade, to talk to when doing stuff or stuff beyond my ability.
when joining stainless and mild there are issues with contamination, stress and load fractures, heat cycles, pressure, inside slag and rust, etc etc depending on application of the finished product.

i wasn't really worried about any of them too much, as it's all fixable and i rubber mounted my pipe and can as well.
it's a dirt bike so either way I'll break it or something else sooner or later, that will need a welder so all good,
i just painted the whole lot with heat paint.

it's not a hard job, but it is time consuming and fiddly to tack it all into place if you're on your own.
$150 US is a lot of money for that, as your starting point though to be unsure if it will work.
if you fail at making the mid pipe from a bad cut choice or worse blow it out when welding and have to buy one, it will end up
being an expensive exhaust.
maybe best to start with a cheaper option - hope the above helps anyways.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:07 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Perfect. I'm going to see if I can get it for a better price and go from there.

Twin Air filter
Sumo clutch kit
14 tooth front sprocket
LED flashers

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

don't they sell a mid-pipe for the gixxer can?

The decision for me to fabricate a weldment comes as easy as a sneeze but even this is something where I would seek an "over-the-counter" solution if available

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:54 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Yes, ProCycle has a clean midpipe that bolts right on.
It even has the bolt holes for the 3 bolt and 4 bolt GSXR mufflers.
The easy way to go.

Ordeal and Adventure