www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:43 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you use for GPS?
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:20 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hey guys, been a busy year so far, so have been lurking but not posting.

I'd like to hear your opinion/what you use for GPS. I have an upcoming ride where no one has a GPS, and I'm feeling the urge to either get a standalone unit, or invest in an app that will be good for roads AND trails.

Top contender right now is the garmin Montana with topo 100k and city navigator. From my research this is currently one of the favored options. The Camo 610t is on sale, so despite the bummer colorway, im considering that option over other stand alone options.

In my research, I am still unsuccessful finding a gps android app that does both road navigation and topo and can work in offline mode. Google maps recently adding offline directions is awesome, but does that work when you aren't on pavement?

Please pour any knowledge, links and advice you hand, TIA!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:44 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

If you can, spring for the 25k maps. They don't have any more detail (like you would think) but they have the POI database - motels, gas stations, stores, restaurants, campgrounds, etc.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:52 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ProCycle wrote:
Garmin 650 Montana.
If you can, spring for the 25k maps. They don't have any more detail (like you would think) but they have the POI database - motels, gas stations, stores, restaurants, campgrounds, etc.

As opposed to the us city navigator? I'm still unclear on the differences between the different garmin map offerings... Am I right in my thinking that topo+city navigator is the right way to go to cover on and off road? Thanks Jeff

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:47 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Montana 600 here, used for over 100,000 kms of adv navigation on 2, and sometimes 4 wheels. Can't comment on US maps, but their routable Aus/NZ Topo is excellent, as is their Europe/UK street set. Basecamp is the biz too, once you get your head around it, and overcome some illogical features like being unable to access map detail without turning on the toolbar that manages it that is off by default.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:23 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Montana 650 here, pretty much loaded with all the maps

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:29 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Bergdonk and greg805, do you use ONLY topo 24k maps? or do you also have the city navigator maps? Right now I'm planning to get the 24k west maps and at your advice, would also consider getting the city navigator... but if the 24k topo does a decent job of on-road navigation, then maybe that's all I need.

Update
I actually talked myself into the Montana 610. No camo, and no "t" model (as a lot of people seem to agree that the 100k maps are essentially worthless). I got the ram mount and the "bike" mount (not the wired motorcycle mount as I believe battery life + AA batteries as back up should be sufficient and simplify my bike's electronics in the long run)

I'd love any suggestions anyone has for how to best use this for trip planning. I've been relying on friends with GPS's so long I really have no experience with these standalone units.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:34 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Oz topo works for street navigation for me here, but no idea if it's good enough over there.

What I do do, is create destination waypoints in Bascamp when heading for the city, which works great. I recently drove for a week in England and used the UK/Euro city nav and a heap of waypoints I'd setup here at home and it was dead easy navigating.

For bush work though, which is most of my nav, I use tracks, not routes.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:41 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I don't think 'City Navigator' is compatible with the Montana.
I could be wrong about that. I do know that the Montana will do turn by turn navigation with the 25K map but not with the 100K map.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:13 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Montana 600 here, using maps from the Topo US 24K West DVD. I have no need for street navigation but love the topo maps when I get off the beaten path.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:21 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Woodrat, do you actively build routes for each ride? Or do you just carry it with you for exploring incaae you need to find a way out? Just wondering how people are using these things.