www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:18 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

btw, on my DR I used the unused connector behind the headlight mask for charging the 276C/278.

Now that all three our bikes have a direct hookup for a battery tender, I'm switching to using that instead. Makes swapping easy.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:06 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

After 10+ years of using a GPSMap 276C, the last few years with a 2GB memory card, I switched to a GPSMap276Cx last year. I use the Montana rugged mount with a locking screw (highly advised!).

Same interface, yuuge bright screen, compass. Totally happy now after the first few disastrous FW releases.

Looks familiar :2_thumbsup: , can you tell me more about how you mounted the the AMPS mount to your bars? Mine is currently on ram ball and arm with the ubolt bar mounts, works fine and easy switch out but yours is a little closer which looks nice.

The 276cx gets trashed on other forums, but Ive really had no issues with it, maybe Im not that demanding a user :s_dunno I love the big screen and buttons. I have Topo Canada, some OSM topo maps and a couple small sections of Birds eye installed. Its a pricey unit and I likely wouldnt have dropped the coin on it myself, but I have a good wife and she got me this for the big 50 after some advice from riding mates

Crappy garage pic but its pouring rain outside
Attachment:
20170521_172958_resized.jpg
20170521_172958_resized.jpg [ 191.65 KiB | Viewed 108 times ]

on the Sled(snowmobile for you southerners :biggrin: ) before I got the easy undo locking screw
Attachment:
20161217_161323_resized.jpg
20161217_161323_resized.jpg [ 486.16 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

Still love my old 60csx and it still sees duty in the really gnarly stuff, but the big screen is better for old eyes.

old setup

Cheers, Todd

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:43 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

@toddiscdm, I use the Montana Bicycle mount

Attachments:
IMG_3080.JPG
IMG_3080.JPG [ 36.75 KiB | Viewed 96 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:54 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I'm a cell phone gps convert, switched over after my old 60csx finally gave it up a year or so ago.

I like both Osmand and google maps but probably use Osmand most with the downloaded maps. I use the paid version ($6) on an old android phone, life proof case, the free maps, in a ram mounted cradle with usb power port nearby. smart phones have gps chips and do not need cell to do gps.. they do need the maps downloaded though.. thats why google maps often don't work outside service area unless you downloaded maps beforehand. Google searching is light years ahead of osmand app, so if I have cell service it's a no brainer for trying to find local food/gas.

Along with osmand/google maps/android I use the web site gpsies.com. It's handy for creating tracks of your planned rides, saving tracks of past rides, storing copies of other folks tracks. etc. I use it like the base camp app.

The final piece of all this is a sena headset.. with the sena bluetooth connected to your phone, when you set up a nav route it talks to you in your helmet. My music cuts out, app says "take the next left turn", music cuts back in. Of course you also get cell calls and comm with your buddies with the sena.

it's been working well for me and I have come to like it much better than my garmin style gps setups and would not go back to a dedicated gps. I used it on my CO BDR trip last summer and it was perfect. Also it costs next to nothing vs big bucks for the nice garmins. The only downside with "the system" is it's not as simple as the dedicated ones, you have to be a little techy to get it set up but I like it.