www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:11 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:01 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Max Kool wrote:
ProCycle wrote:
I don't think 'City Navigator' is compatible with the Montana.
I could be wrong about that. I do know that the Montana will do turn by turn navigation with the 25K map but not with the 100K map.

Montana will accept CN NT afaik.

Yup... I have City Navigator on my Montana 600T (which came with only the 100K topo maps). Turn-by-turn navigation works fine with the city maps but not the 100K topo maps.

I find that I rarely use it though... Usually what I do is use Basecamp to create route sections in the City maps and convert them to tracks, and then manually create tracks for the trails/forest roads that are not in the City maps, join them all together into a single track and then load that track onto my Montana, changing the track color to something that really stands out on the screen (usually bright red).

Then I just follow the bright red line...

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:22 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Montana 600 here as well. I use City Navigator on it when on 4 wheels and free topo's I downloaded from GPS file depot when on the bike. I may switch to the Garmin 24k maps since they are route-able and have the POI's. Doing the western portion of the TAT this summer so that may come in handy!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:01 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Seen a few recommendations for phones posted above.
Problem with that is when you don't have service, you don't have nav. If you stick to cities and well populated area's you might be ok.
Most of the trails and even some highways where I ride, you have no coverage.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:25 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The phone proponents will be along shortly to explain why that is not true.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:35 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

GT4Point6 wrote:
Problem with that is when you don't have service, you don't have nav. If you stick to cities and well populated area's you might be ok.

I've never used my phone to navigate, but I did think that the GPS function in it was actually a GPS.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:37 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

ya.. ^^ not true.

I use the Garmin 395LM. Bigger screen. The 595LM is supposed to be faster. I just didn't see the added $$$ value. It works fine for what I need.. which is uploading pre-planned gpx routes (tracks actually) and riding them. It does have the shortcoming of not having all the trails mapped out around you. If you take a different trail in the middle of your ride.. you're on your own. You can turn on "re-route" option and will lead you on a path but it will be "shortest path to destination".

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:13 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

GT4Point6 wrote:

There are lots of apps that will download maps for offline use such as out in the woods with no cell service, don't know the name of them right off the bat, someone will be along shortly and fill in the blanks.

2 nuts, 2 wheels, 2 beers...
OK, so what's the speed of dark?
You gotta have SACS to ride a DR!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:07 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Locus Map
US Topo Maps

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:09 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

After 10+ years of using a GPSMap 276C, the last few years with a 2GB memory card, I switched to a GPSMap276Cx last year. I use the Montana rugged mount with a locking screw (highly advised!).

Same interface, yuuge bright screen, compass. Totally happy now after the first few disastrous FW releases.

Using City Navigator at the moment (which I'm surprised has lots of unpaved roads already), and may add Topo 24k one day.

Still have the 276C, it's in perfect shape still, as is my wife's 278 (loaded with Europe AND West US)

Me a gadget freak?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:09 pm 

Bigger is better. Here's my setup for our Balkan adventure ride in the summer of 2016. It's an Xperia Z Ultra on a piece of cutting board on a RAM mount. The older Xperia's are waterproof and have a magnetic charging port that seems a lot more bike proof than the micro USB port. To be honest I did battle a bunch of charging issues during that trip. Some were due to the Xperia and some had to do with the crappy connections in the whole daisy chain of 12v socket --> USB charger --> phone. Most of the time the Xperia stayed fully charged while in use.

Attachment:
IMG_1951 (2).jpg
IMG_1951 (2).jpg [ 958.52 KiB | Viewed 57 times ]

The Zumo 660 was there for backup and by now I've sold it. I couldn't get used to Basecamp and all the intricacies of the Garmin platform. No wonder they sell 4 hour DVD courses. It's also painfully slow, the screen sucks, it's practically useless for offroad navigation. It's clearly pre-iphone tech. It's only redeeming quality is that it works in pouring rain, the POI database is quite up to date and it's easy to get on/off the bike. It's nice for going to the nearest hotel or gas station. And it's rugged. At one point I got so pissed that I yanked it off the bike and threw it into a ditch, hoping that would finally kill it. My buddy went to retrieve it...just a few scratches.

The Xperia runs Sygic for turn by turn 'just do what it says' navigation. I can produce a day's worth of quality ridng in about 15 minutes by picking a destination and dragging/dropping via points on the map. Excellent.

For more adventurous rides Locus Pro is the sh*t. Just download an OSM-based map and load a bunch of GPX tracks (either made up on the spot with BRouter or someone else's tracks) and follow the line on the map. Amazingly powerful software. So many features and ways to configure it to your liking. I also took paper bicycle maps with me to make route planning easier. Another extremely useful feature of phones: set up a wifi hot spot and send the track to a riding buddy with EZ file explorer, enabling you to navigate at the same time or alternate riding in front or in the back without stopping.

To be honest, there are downsides to using a phone. The screen becomes useless in rain (maybe the new phones are better in that aspect?), it's hard to operate with gloves, and the charging is not made for the hostile environment of a vibrating adventure bike. I love the Xperia's speed and size....but I'm soon replacing it with a DooGee Titans2 phone that I inherited from a riding buddy who's no longer with us. Smaller screen, but a massive battery that will allow it to run all day without charging. The Xperia or some other tablet can come along for route planning off the bike.

If only someone made a kick-ass rugged 5-6" android device with a charging cradle on a RAM mount.....leave the software and maps to independent companies and the community.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next