www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:37 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:45 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

If I don't know the area I do plot a route in MapSource (Garmin software included on the DVD) and transfer it to the GPS, so up in the mountains I have a reference that leads me where I want to go. I find some roads on the map don't exist anymore or are blocked, and some new ones aren't on the map, so pre-plotting a route is very helpful to get around discrepancies like this.

Just having the GPS track is beneficial. Sometimes I don't know exactly where I've been until I get home and load it on the computer. Seeing it on the big screen removes all doubt.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:55 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ProCycle wrote:
I don't think 'City Navigator' is compatible with the Montana.
I could be wrong about that. I do know that the Montana will do turn by turn navigation with the 25K map but not with the 100K map.

Montana will accept CN NT afaik.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:57 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

For my DR650, I like the Garmin 64ST, small screen, not a touch screen. I use it for on and off road nav, Geocaching, and hiking. Can upload trips from many of the free online programs.
Some like larger, some like touch. This is just what I am used to and really like it. I can enable turn by turn, or for geocaching since most are not on roads, I use the straight line nav. That makes it more of an adventure trying to figure out how to get there.

You can have it keep track of your path and then worse case, you can simple back track.

It's Small and snaps into a holder with a karabiner clip that I clip to my backpack when hiking.

It came with topo maps, that is my go to for 99% of what I do.

It's flown out of my Ram handle bar mount on really ruff off road runs (woops, etc...) :bumps: :bumps: :bumps: a few times and I've watched it fly off and then turn around and pick it up. It's bounced off rocks, fallen from hill tops, flown through the air at 30MPH. VERT TUFF unit, has taken a lick'en and keeps on tick'en. I have added rubber bands to ensure it doesn't fly the coop anymore, not worried it will be damaged but that maybe I won't see if fly off and loose it.

I have ZERO experience with any other motorbike nav system. Not saying it's the best, it's what I have and it works really good for me.

Last edited by GT4Point6 on Sun May 14, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:59 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

WoodRat wrote:
Just having the GPS track is beneficial. Sometimes I don't know exactly where I've been until I get home and load it on the computer. Seeing it on the big screen removes all doubt.

I started out with a small garmin handheld several years ago, just for the purpose of recording where I had been and then downloading it to the computer map, this was because I would have trouble working out on the paper maps where every twist and turn had taken me.

Now I'm using a Montana 610, I have a large history of tracks on Basecamp and before a ride will compile a track that I know is rideable plus several variations of possibles that have been derived from maps and google earth. These are all down loaded onto the garmin with some colour coding as tracks. I never used the route function as I always seem to disagree with the on in the car!

For maps on the Montana I normally use the garmin topo, but also use OSM, the local emergency services maps, and the garmin ariel photos.

Another benefit is as I normally ride alone in areas that don't see another person for weeks, I can print out a map with my track and options on it to leave on the kitchen bench for the wife in case she gets a help message from my spot tracker.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:57 am 

My old eyes need something larger so I went with an iPad mini with Galileo app in a Lifeproof case. I like to explore new roads and trails with out a track. I record my track live so I can find my way back. The clock and mph works well also. This year on different group rides I found two others that were using iPad mini's. It's my security blanket so I can just have fun without nav worries. A 6.6 gallon fuel tank and gps gives me hours and hours of fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:11 am 

Android Smart phone for me. Have an old Galaxy S3 in a waterproof case. Use Locus Pro for just about everything. and have all my outback Aus raster maps (converted) in addition to vector based offline maps..Been to buggery and back on my DR and Strom with it and never lets me down. Occasionally use OSMAnd+ as it has better routing/address lookup for city stuff...used that for round the world in rental cars etc. Takes a bit to learn Locus but once mastered, a great app.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:20 pm 
DRRiders Technical Documentation Expert

No matter what type GPS you choose, get it well before your trip and use it everywhere you go so you're not trying to learn it on the bike. There can be a lot of frustration learning them and you don't need the distraction while riding.

Threewheelbonnie:
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

My DR650 technical photos (but none of the cool stories that go with 'em), FEEL FREE TO COPY AND SHARE: http://er70s-2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycling

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:43 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ER70S-2 wrote:
No matter what type GPS you choose, get it well before your trip and use it everywhere you go so you're not trying to learn it on the bike. There can be a lot of frustration learning them and you don't need the distraction while riding.

After watching a friend ride into a tree at low speeds while fiddlefarting around with his GPS.. :BevButt: :woohoo: :OMG:

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:02 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I use my cell phone and the GPX Viewer app on offroad routes that I take: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ewer&hl=en
If you load the route while in cell range, the map still loads into memory and stays there unless you turn the app off. Works great and is free.

As a backup, I just bring a Garmin car gps.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:17 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I don't use a GPS. If traveling paper map and a roll chart w/ general routes plotted out beforehand. If just out and about getting lost is the fun part.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next