www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:44 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DAMN IT ALL
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:48 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

So here I am, somewhere I never thought our family would be. My DR is sold. Not a dream. Gone. We are off to a different adventure this year.

My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer this February. Pretty shitty news for a 33 yr old mother of a 6 and 8 yr old. I have never been so terrified. Today was a second not so big surgery and she has already had one shitty big surgery. Next step, chemo, followed by radiation. This all means bigger fish to fry. Last year I spent so much time getting the kids riding that I hardly rode my bike. I maybe added 1200 miles to the clock. We decided that the boys need to keep as normal of life going as possible. We will keep the play bikes: ttr125, klx110, pw80, and suzuki jr50. Try to fish, ride , and love. The idea of the DR lost it's spark for now.

I will always watch the ads for a good buy on another DR, but right now, see nothing but my family's needs. DRRIDERS has been such a great source of info and ideas in the past few years. So much fun had and so much learned. I will be checking in as usual here, but just not participating. Ride safe you damn group of misfits and thrill seekers!! The big ride can end when it sees fit so rip the balls off of it and cram them down it's throat. f*** cancer!

No religious nonsense, no pity. This is just what happens. Bad cards so to speak.

Like the signature has read for the past couple years, "Fight for your chance at life".

Post subject: Re: DAMN IT ALL
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:18 am 

Good luck mate. Life tests us all at some time.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:18 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Sorry to hear the news. You definitely have your priorities in order, being at your wife's side and doing every thing possible to get your family through this difficult time. As you say there are no guarantees in life, but be encouraged is that treatment these days is providing better odds of recovery than ever before. Wishing you and yours all the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:50 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Bad news, so sorry your family is having to deal with this. :sorry: You have the correct attitude and priorities. :empathy:

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:38 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Thanks for sharing and has we all can see you have the right attitude: "Fight for your chance at life"...

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:22 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Really shitty hand to be dealt, for sure.
Hang in there...the advances they are making every year are astounding...I still believe we will defeat this disease during my lifetime.

All the best to you and yours. :rose:

2010 Black DR650 - Raptor Petcock...MSR skid plate...Stock chain-roller removed/"Seat Concepts" seat kit/Lower ball-bearing roller/AMP case armor/Pro-Moto rack/Twin Air filter/520 conversion/TM40 pumper carb/8.3 Rear spring/ProCycle Case saver/WARP 9 bar-risers/IMS 4.9 gal Tank/Homemade Chainguard topic15058.html NSU Fix topic14597.html NSU Fix re-visited topic14828.html
DR_Rider blog: https://dr650rider.blogspot.ca/

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:09 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Good luck and best wishes. Remember, you fight your enemy on his terms, but you fight to win!! joe

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:50 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Keep up the fight. Give no quarter. Keep that great attitude. Positive energy and laughter have a way of smothering disease.

My best to you and yours.

Patrick

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:40 pm 
DR650 Limits Tester

Best of luck to your wife!

Good you kept the play bikes and bikes for the boys, they will be an excellent out for the boys to keep their minds off things and for you as well when you need to catch a quick mental break when needed

Keep us posted with her progress on recovery

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:38 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Been there, brain cancer not breast. It is a battle. You are in the sh*t. Kids are the priority. Support is a priority. The rest is just life and will work itself out in time. Before you can be an effective care giver you must first take care of yourself. It's so easy to forget to eat or exercise because there are so many other more important things going on. But if you don't take care of those things your effectiveness in caring for others diminishes. The cancer doesn't just eat a person, it eats the whole family.

Be strong, endure. All riders everywhere are rooting for you and your family. You are never alone in this struggle.

Dallas