www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Handlebar HELP!!
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:25 pm 

Hey y'all, I just put a tankbag on my bike (tied it with paracord because I don't have the clips and straps :2_thumbsup: ) and I was testing it out. Seeing how it would handle bumps and turns and such, riding moderately rough. And I coming back into where I park it, hit a patch of sand, came flying off of the bike, and the bike fell down. I pick her back up, and the bars are bent on the left side :crutch: ... so I need suggestions on new bars. I have no idea where to start... I'm 6'3", 200lbs, I don't know if there is any info I can give all y'all to help me decide which bars to get. BTW, I'm a 20 year old man with little money :s_biggrin. So please help!

Post subject: Re: Handlebar HELP!!
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:25 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Bummer! If you have a tight budget, these are decent for the $$. I have a set of them, in the "CR High" bend, on my DR and like them. I'm 6', 180.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3094/12330/Tusk-T-10-Aluminum-7-8%22-Handlebar?c=173

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:15 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

bobwuzhere wrote:
Hey y'all, I just put a tankbag on my bike (tied it with paracord because I don't have the clips and straps :2_thumbsup: ) and I was testing it out. Seeing how it would handle bumps and turns and such, riding moderately rough. And I coming back into where I park it, hit a patch of sand, came flying off of the bike, and the bike fell down. I pick her back up, and the bars are bent on the left side :crutch: ... so I need suggestions on new bars. I have no idea where to start... I'm 6'3", 200lbs, I don't know if there is any info I can give all y'all to help me decide which bars to get. BTW, I'm a 20 year old man with little money :s_biggrin. So please help!

First question - didn't the tank pack come with a proper harness?

I have Pro Taper Contour "Raptor" ATV bars on my bike. I'm 6 foot even, bare foot, and 155 lbs in riding gear - helmet included! I bought the bars from Chaparral Motorsport for $67.00. You might find them more comfortable for your height.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:34 pm 

Heli-Pilot wrote:
Bummer! If you have a tight budget, these are decent for the $$. I have a set of them, in the "CR High" bend, on my DR and like them. I'm 6', 180.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3094/12330/Tusk-T-10-Aluminum-7-8%22-Handlebar?c=173

Thank you, I'll look into them!

Dreaded Rebel wrote:
bobwuzhere wrote:

First question - didn't the tank pack come with a proper harness?

I have Pro Taper Contour "Raptor" ATV bars on my bike. I'm 6 foot even, bare foot, and 155 lbs in riding gear - helmet included! I bought the bars from Chaparral Motorsport for $67.00. You might find them more comfortable for your height.

No the tank bag did not come with the harness. The bad came with the bike when I got it. But the straps and clips weren't with it. It's a Marsee bag. I've looked into getting straps and clips for it, but it seems like I'll have to jump through hoops to get them.

About the bars: I do have 1 1/2" bar risers.. would that affect which bend I should get? And I have not weighed with gear... maybe I should.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:34 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

So I suggest procycles big bar kit. https://procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.htm ... bars-dr650 sturdy no cross bar and wider. love them also they look great. well you are monkeying around might as well as do some hand guards. i have these they are great https://procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#cycra-guards

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:27 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

You may not need new bars. The bar clamps are rubber mounted, and commonly twist in a spill. Also the forks can twist out of alignment a bit as well. The trail side fix is crank back on the bars in the opposite direction and kick the front tire. The proper garage fix is to loosen and realign everything. Seems every time my bike lays down for a nap, no matter how gently, I have to do some rearranging to get things straight again.

All that said, bars do bend, and you may indeed be bar shopping. But check the free things first.

As for which bars - Well I'm 6" shorter than you, so can't really recommend a bend. I do recommend upping to 1-1/8" bars, which unfortunately adds the cost of bar mounts to the equation. The advantage is strength, and the DR is a HEAVY dirt bike, so I feel that strength is much more needed than on, say, a 230 lb trail bike. I went with Tusk Chub bar (https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3094/19027/Tusk-Chub-1-1-8%22-Big-Bar?c=13) and some Pro Taper mounts (https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/982/47279/ProTaper-Universal-Rubber-Mounted-Handlebar-Clamp-Kit?c=13). The ProCycle all-in-one kit is nice though, and supports the DR community.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:20 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I've been using these with success on both my DR's:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... vcRL8aXL9Q

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:59 am 

Thanks everyone! I did already to to realign everything.. but my right hand feels normal on the bars, and my left hand is Bent a little more towards me. So I do think they're bent. Thank you for the info though.
As for handguards, I do already have a pair of MSR handguards. I like them, and would like to try to keep them, but if I get fat bars, I don't guess I really can keep them.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

bobwuzhere wrote:
Thanks everyone! I did already to to realign everything.. but my right hand feels normal on the bars, and my left hand is Bent a little more towards me. So I do think they're bent. Thank you for the info though.
As for handguards, I do already have a pair of MSR handguards. I like them, and would like to try to keep them, but if I get fat bars, I don't guess I really can keep them.

Just the inboard mount changes, and can be purchased on it's own. I might have some spares I could send if you go the fat bar route. Moving soon and need to clean out, I'll see what I dig up in the next few days.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:29 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Kodachrome wrote:
So I suggest procycles big bar kit. https://procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.htm ... bars-dr650 sturdy no cross bar and wider. love them also they look great. well you are monkeying around might as well as do some hand guards. i have these they are great https://procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#cycra-guards
Love my fat bars.