www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 10:47 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:18 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I'm installing a Lynx R fairing on my bike. After bolting down the handle bars - sandwiching the dash plate between the mounts and top cone - I found that my speedo cable is about 4" too short.

Anyone have a source for a longer one?

Thanks,
Alec

Okay - I recall that my last post to this thread was about my finding a 50" cable kit - don't go there. What you get is 50" of the inner cable only; no sheathing, no protective covering, and, of course, no correct end fittings.

I ended up with a Trail Tech Endurance II speedo. That's all it is - a speedo, 2 trip odometers and permanent odometer - oh, and a clock. Fitted that, plugged it and my GPS into the switched fuse block. Guess what - everything worked!

This is the best part though.

I e-mailed Ian Banbury of Britannia Composites saying that it would have been nice to have a heads up in the instructions regarding cable length and OEM speedo placement. He wrote me back to say that, "I'm sorry this happened Alec and although we haven't heard of this before, we are going to make changes to the instructions so that it is much clearer about the limitations of the speedo cable."

But Ian went further and stepped right up, telling me a new dash plate would be shipped out Monday!

Too bad he only makes one specific product. I would buy anything he would sell. Kudos to Ian! A lot of vendors would have shrugged me off and said you're S.O.L.

In the meantime, the bike is ridable again. BTW, after I do the new dash plate, I'll be an expert on installing the Lynx R!

Last edited by Dreaded Rebel on Sat May 13, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:37 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Is the speedo mounted 4 inches higher than before? Did you maintain stock routing of the cable? These are the 2 biggest things I can think of that would have an effect.

If the cable is now truly short it will be far easier to add a Trail Tech speedo.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:20 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

PerazziMx14 wrote:
Is the speedo mounted 4 inches higher than before? Did you maintain stock routing of the cable? These are the 2 biggest things I can think of that would have an effect.

If the cable is now truly short it will be far easier to add a Trail Tech speedo.

Yeah - the speedo cable is truly too short.

I called ProCycle before I posted this thread. As soon as I got off the phone, I had this feeling that that would be the answer. I hate digital dash boards. The holes are drill and the stock speedo is mounted. I can only hope that I can cover/use the holes drilled to mount a Trail Tech Vapor.

I wait a bit and see if someone else has a source. If not by tomorrow, I order a Vapor.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:44 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I recall speedo cables being pretty universal back in the days. What is the length you are looking for?

Maybe a cable from an Intruder/Marauder could help?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:02 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Max Kool wrote:
I recall speedo cables being pretty universal back in the days. What is the length you are looking for?

Maybe a cable from an Intruder/Marauder could help?

Trying to source a cable from a a different bike will be darn near impossible. Since manufacturers don't list lengths you'd need to physically measure different bikes speedo cables and verify the threaded ends are the same.

Dreaded Rebel wrote:
PerazziMx14 wrote:

Yeah - the speedo cable is truly too short.

I called ProCycle before I posted this thread. As soon as I got off the phone, I had this feeling that that would be the answer. I hate digital dash boards. The holes are drill and the stock speedo is mounted. I can only hope that I can cover/use the holes drilled to mount a Trail Tech Vapor.

I wait a bit and see if someone else has a source. If not by tomorrow, I order a Vapor.

You can "patch" the holes if you can't cover them. Stick a piece of tape on the underside of the hole(s) and fill with 2 part epoxy.

For the record I prefer analog gauges as well but the accuracy of the Trail Tech stuff helps offset the looks.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:15 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I did have the thought of finding a piece of plastic from my favorite choo-choo train hobby shop, plate over the holes all ready cut and either

A) - mount the speedo back on the stock bracket and, using a hole saw, cut through for a "recessed" speedo mount, or

B) - plate and drill/cut to mount a Trail Tech.

I'm liking the idea of recess mounting the speedo.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:46 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Okay . . . Was out for a cigarette and sat on the bike. Given how the hole was cut for the ignition switch, the idea of a recessed speedo mount is out of the question. It would be too awkward for visibility and I could not get to the trip odometer knob.

Plate and Trail Tech Vapor is going to be the solution.

Not what I wanted to do, but, I'm dead in the water right now with this project.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:01 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Dreaded Rebel wrote:
Okay . . . Was out for a cigarette and sat on the bike. Given how the hole was cut for the ignition switch, the idea of a recessed speedo mount is out of the question. It would be too awkward for visibility and I could not get to the trip odometer knob.

Plate and Trail Tech Vapor is going to be the solution.

Not what I wanted to do, but, I'm dead in the water right now with this project.

If going with a Trail Tech might I suggest the Striker version. It has a volt meter in lieu of a tachometer . To me especially when running electric gear being able to monitor the state of charge Is WAY more important that having a tachometer.

Also a great power source for the Trail Tech is the wires that are used to illuminate the bulb in the stock speedo. I cut the connector off the speedo light bulb and soldered it to the Trail Tech wiring harness. Now its plug and play :good: .

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:24 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

PerazziMx14 wrote:
If going with a Trail Tech might I suggest the Striker version. It has a volt meter in lieu of a tachometer . To me especially when running electric gear being able to monitor the state of charge Is WAY more important that having a tachometer.

Also a great power source for the Trail Tech is the wires that are used to illuminate the bulb in the stock speedo. I cut the connector off the speedo light bulb and soldered it to the Trail Tech wiring harness. Now its plug and play :good: .

Thanks for the tip Perazzi, Never thought about what I would do with the speedo lamp.

However, I purchased the 6 fused accessory bus option. So, as with my GPS, I would tie the Trail Tech into that. The thought with the Vapor over the Striker is the tachometer would be handy during service intervals to ensure correct idle RPM. I will look at the Striker, though, before spending money I didn't plan on. I do have a Hardline tach I can use for idle RPM checks.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:33 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Dreaded Rebel wrote:
PerazziMx14 wrote:

Thanks for the tip Perazzi, Never thought about what I would do with the speedo lamp.

However, I purchased the 6 fused accessory bus option. So, as with my GPS, I would tie the Trail Tech into that. The thought with the Vapor over the Striker is the tachometer would be handy during service intervals to ensure correct idle RPM. I will look at the Striker, though, before spending money I didn't plan on. I do have a Hardline tach I can use for idle RPM checks.

You got a good bike wreckers in the area.?
Take the cable off and take it with you.
Good wreckers will generally just have them all hanging together and see if anything matches.
Not on my dr, but has worked for other bikes in the past.

Do you run a gps unit, does it have a speedo in it.
Could keep you out of trouble to you figure out the best solution