www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:33 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:46 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
Do you run a gps unit, does it have a speedo in it.
Could keep you out of trouble to you figure out the best solution

Yes, I run a GPS unit and sure it would give my speed . . . but, it would not give permanent odometer readings. If, when, open my death, the bike is sold, there would be no record of the true mileage.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:47 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Dreaded Rebel wrote:
PerazziMx14 wrote:
If going with a Trail Tech might I suggest the Striker version. It has a volt meter in lieu of a tachometer . To me especially when running electric gear being able to monitor the state of charge Is WAY more important that having a tachometer.

Also a great power source for the Trail Tech is the wires that are used to illuminate the bulb in the stock speedo. I cut the connector off the speedo light bulb and soldered it to the Trail Tech wiring harness. Now its plug and play :good: .

Thanks for the tip Perazzi, Never thought about what I would do with the speedo lamp.

However, I purchased the 6 fused accessory bus option. So, as with my GPS, I would tie the Trail Tech into that. The thought with the Vapor over the Striker is the tachometer would be handy during service intervals to ensure correct idle RPM. I will look at the Striker, though, before spending money I didn't plan on. I do have a Hardline tach I can use for idle RPM checks.

The tach set up is cheesy at best with the Vapor. You wrap a pickup wire from the Vapor around the spark plug wire a certain amount of times and that senses the spark rate. As for setting idle I wouldn't trust the Vapor any more than I trust my ears. To set idle on any bike I just listen to it once warmed up.

The bulb light on the speedo can simply be unplugged and then connector tucked away. Even with a fuse block I'd still use this connector as it is keyed and the Trail Tech computers draw very minimal current. Actually you don't even have to connect them to a 12v power supply as they can be run off of an internal replacable battery. Down side running off the internal battery is it will die and need replaced and the backlight is not nearly as bright as when connect to the bikes 12v power supply. I'd save the buss connection for items that draw or replenish higher voltages.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:04 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

PerazziMx14 wrote:
The bulb light on the speedo can simply be unplugged and then connector tucked away. Even with a fuse block I'd still use this connector as it is keyed and the Trail Tech computers draw very minimal current. Actually you don't even have to connect them to a 12v power supply as they can be run off of an internal replacable battery. Down side running off the internal battery is it will die and need replaced and the backlight is not nearly as bright as when connect to the bikes 12v power supply. I'd save the buss connection for items that draw or replenish higher voltages.

All things considered, the bus is switched, and has a 30 amp fuse to the battery. I can double-up a connection. The draw of my GPS and the Trail Tech might be such that I can tie them both into 1 fuse of, what, 5 amps. I would still have 5 connections for power outlets, and maybe some heated gear.

Point taken on the tach, maybe even the Hardline tach - it connects in the same manner - would be useless for diagnostic purposes.

As both the Vapor and Striker are the same price, maybe the the Striker is the way to go.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:28 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Dreaded Rebel wrote:
Anyone have a source for a longer one?

Homer's Cycle, Toledo.
419 726 8645
801 Galena St 43611

They custom make any cable including speedo cables if needed. Very cool old school shop, you'll dig it.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:28 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Dreaded Rebel wrote:
I hate digital dash boards.

Check out these. A bit pricey, but sure do look nice. I like analogue too.
http://kosonorthamerica.com/tag/meters-multifunctions/

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:25 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Found it!

Motion Pro 50" universal speedo cable kit from Motorcycle Super Store. There's some DIY to it, but I think it's the answer. Only $20.00, delivered, to boot!

Thanks y'all for your suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:36 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:59 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

This is a bump.

Start with and read the update of my original post.

Ian is a stand up guy and is what makes this community so special!

Any one interested in his Lynx R fairing, do contact me. I'm very impressed by his product, and the way he stepped up to help me.