www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:43 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The New Toy
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:35 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

And it's not a bike!

Just in time for the summer, a Donzi Z-25 With slightly modified BBF 460

The boat is actually in decent shape, motor has less than 30 hours, and it has a new transom and stringers that was done professionally and came out perfect so luckily he hard stuff is out of the way, but she has been in storage for 10 years :OMG:. Got her running this weekend and put it in the water and she ran but I have a coupe carb and charging issues to address before she spends a weekend on the water

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

Post subject: Re: The New Toy
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Very nice. Grew up a few hundred yards from a lake/river, lots of time out on boats. Donzis were like dream machines when we'd see em.

Friend's dad had a boat with a 460 Ford. Stupid fast. ~85 mph. Of course, you'd have to cut your boat in half height wise to look like that one. I miss the water....

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:42 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I used to have a '77 Checkmate with a 460 Ford. Jet drive.
Lots of fun making huge rooster tails.
Yours a jet or prop ?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:47 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

Quote:
Donzis were like dream machines when we'd see em

Funny you say that, this boat has always been a dream boat for me. Me only being 2 years older than this boat i grew up seeing these Z series Donzi's rip around the lakes and oceans and I've always wanted one. The quality of this boat is amazing, when you get on one and really look at the quality of the fiberglass, hardware, controls, interior and attention to detail donzi has you can really what they were so expensive compared to other manufactures...........not to mention the sleek lines.

this weekend when i put it in the water i had it at the dock next to my parents Regal Ventura 8.3SC which for a 28ft twin engine boat is pretty sleek looking, but the Donzi looked like a Ferrari parked next to a big rig when side by side with that regal.

im stoked to own it, i plan to use it this season and do a little resto work over the winter.

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:48 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

JB™ wrote:
I used to have a '77 Checkmate with a 460 Ford. Jet drive.
Lots of fun making huge rooster tails.
Yours a jet or prop ?

its a Prop.

I had a 78 Spectra Day crusier with a 460 and a Berkley Jet Drive, the rooster tails were so entertaining

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:55 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Congrats, welcome to the hole in the water club, at least its not a Sea Ray...

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:53 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

Well the New Toy is a total blast and an absolute rocket, 72MPH with ease and 6 people on board, but............. i broke it :sorry:

it seems to have exploded the gear set in the out drive, one of two thing caused this from what i have been researching. the first and most common is the shifter cable being mis-aligned causing the upper gear set to not be aligiing correctly with each other, the second being the out drive was originally designed for 370hp.....not 450 and the extra hp has exploded the gear. im not sure any of you are familliar with a OMC King Cobra drive, but there kind of a Pain in the ass. parts are obtainable but very pricey and worst yet no one touches them anymore.

unfortunately i have grown quite fond of this boat, so it is now time to empty the pockets and fix her :drinks:

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:19 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Well now you've gone and done it! You thought motorcycles were money pits... :spiteful:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:49 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

So it smoked the outdrive, time to convert it to a jet drive, rooster tail city, bring it down here we got some cool shallow water places to run it...

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:42 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

May 1st 2017 - I got a boat! :)
May 5th 2017 - I broke my boat. :(

Predictions
July 8th 2017 - Broke my boat again.
August 1st 2017 - F@$&ing boat's broke again
August 23rd 2017 - Seriously?! WTF?! Busted AGAIN?!
September 5th 2017 - I sold my POS boat! :)
March 2025 - The DR is still getting podiums at Sandblast.