www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:35 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: exhaust pipes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ProCycle wrote:
xlcc wrote:
we'll find out.I am hoping to get a bit more top end power so the engine pulls hard all the way up when passing on the highway.
You should get exactly what you are looking for.
Here's the dyno comparison PowerBomb is the orange line.

This dyno chart would be an excellent addition to the dyno chart thread Jeff.
The sort of information that all of us like to see, especially with your explanation of how to read the results:

Quote:
Don't look at it as 1hp gain in peak Hp. Instead look at it as a percent. Roughly 5% more HP at 6000 RPM and 11% more at 6700. If you are passing a truck on a hill that's where you're going to be using the motor.

The important thing to note when looking at dyno charts is 'area under the curve'. Comparing peak numbers doesn't mean much. 'xlcc' is looking for more usable top end power and the head pipe is one way to get it.

Another way to look at it is the motor with pipe makes the same or more power from 5200 to 6300 as the stock pipe motor made at its peak. The headpipe motor gets there earlier and makes more power longer.

My dyno never showed any detectable difference from grinding the headed weld.
Some welds are worse on some bikes so it could possibly make a difference if the weld is especially bad.

Can you post it there if you haven't already?
Thanks!

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:27 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:drinks: It's on the first page of that thread.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:15 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I,m finished my exhaust system now.It has 1 3/4" pipe from start to finish into my home built muffler.I haven't had it out on the highway yet but if there is any loss on the bottom end it sure isn't noticeable riding it around my place in 1st and 2nd.If anything I would say it is more responsive.In the pictures you can see how the pipe snakes around from the header pipe to the muffler.I am quite pleased so far.https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... JzUU1VWWN3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:43 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ProCycle wrote:
PerazziMx14 wrote:
If the blue line is really a totally stock DR650 I'd bet grinding the header weld would provide very similar results in netting what look like a 1 HP gain.
[/quote]
Don't look at it as 1hp gain in peak Hp. Instead look at it as a percent. Roughly 5% more HP at 6000 RPM and 11% more at 6700. If you are passing a truck on a hill that's where you're going to be using the motor.

The important thing to note when looking at dyno charts is 'area under the curve'. Comparing peak numbers doesn't mean much. 'xlcc' is looking for more usable top end power and the head pipe is one way to get it.

Another way to look at it is the motor with pipe makes the same or more power from 5200 to 6300 as the stock pipe motor made at its peak. The headpipe motor gets there earlier and makes more power longer.

My dyno never showed any detectable difference from grinding the headed weld.
Some welds are worse on some bikes so it could possibly make a difference if the weld is especially bad

Don't look at it like 1 dollar look at it as a 100 pennies. Mental masturbation with numbers. 5% or 1.75HP increase of 35 HP is still almost nothing.

I don't disagree a 1.75 HP gain is 5% higher than stock but it is really that noticeable on the DR650. Me on a stock DR and the OP sportin his new header are ridding side x side and come upon a slow moving truck and a passing zone. Both riders and bike weight exactly the same. We both put our left blinkers on and crack the throttle WOT. How much further is the DR with 1.75 HP going to be ahead of the DR with 1.75 less HP?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:32 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Well, it's going to accelerate 5%-10% harder, so will need that much less distance to make the pass. All things being equal (which they never are) if it takes 400 yards to make the pass the faster bike will be 10-20 bike lengths out front.

It is also comparable to dropping the front sprocket from 15T to 14T which is a 7% difference.

Of course the sprocket change gives you 7% more torque at the tire all the time. The header only boosts the upper revs. A bike with lower gearing will fall off the horsepower curve at a lower speed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:49 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

We both put our left blinkers on and crack the throttle WOT....I'm with ya,but can't do 'er,I don't have any blinkers!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:33 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

A little update on the exhaust system now that I have had a chance to wring it out....The engine seems to like to spin up faster and longer without feeling like you need to grab another gear.The back tire will break loose at high speeds on gravel logging roads and keep it spinning as long as you keep twisting the throttle.Nice on the highway for passing too.The engine feels like a broader use of the RPMs and seems happier doing it.Another thing I noticed is the muffler does not have the resognance of other mufflers Iv'e tried especially at high RPM steady speed.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:03 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Pardon me for a silly question but, here goes.

By installing the Power Bomb header, one is increasing the exhaust flow. However, nothing is being done with the intake. So, all things being equal and the only change is the header, does the carburetor's jetting need to be adjusted?

I have the Procycle Breath Easy kit installed, Leo Vince X3, 150 main jet, Needle in 4th position, side door off the air box, snorkel removed.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:12 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The change in flow isn't really enough to require a jetting change.
If your jetting was dialed in to the ragged lean edge then it might be enough change to make a difference.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:39 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Thank you! Being 85% street rider in Southern Cal I'm always looking for more top end power for passing and just for my need for speed. Ok let me find a way to "sneak this in" without the wife knowing. LOL! [yes honey, the bike can use this for better efficiency & cooler running]