www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:58 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:39 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

i've actually been thinking about another DR, one that hasnt spent the last decade at the rev limiter and just trasfering all my aftermarket parts and my modded head and cylinder over to the new one and just putting this one back stock for a street cruiser.

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:23 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

foaminsert wrote:
Also lost my left wrist in a road crash since I was here last,, Time to act my age and get another dr I think :pardon:

Damn! WTH? Pinned with no movement? :sorry:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:03 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

my bike collection has expanded/contracted a few times... get up to 4-5, realize you rarely touch most of them, back down to one, then the creep begins again.

The last full bike cycle ended ~5 yrs ago with selling off a BMW, vstrom, XR400, CL160.. and keeping only the DR. Now I'm back to 3. A very experienced DR, and two CL refugee/fixer uppers, all in good shape. So it's not like a pile of money sitting idle out there now, more like a pile of liability-only-coverage pocket change, which may be key to peace of mind. If they sit, it's no big deal. Tinker with and enjoy them when I feel like it.

Also I sold my old boat yesterday, a 25 year old Sea Swirl. I've owned that boat for > 20 yrs but in the last few it's been a headache with repairs. sold it super cheap and still feel like :woohoo:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:32 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

mxrob wrote:
foaminsert wrote:
Also lost my left wrist in a road crash since I was here last,, Time to act my age and get another dr I think :pardon:

Eventually I will need it pinned apparently. For now I've had the lunate bone removed and carpal tunnel release, some special stitching tendons or something while he was in there. Was given the option of fully pinning right away and full reconstruction was out of the question. The lunate bone was flipped everything basically stuffed in there. I had no feeling in my fingers for a long time. Couldn't pull a clutch, anyway the hand works ok now and hoping and praying the wrist will be ok for some years to come. Maybe 50% strength which is ok for most riding. considered giving up bikes all together when I crashed again Christmas Eve ended up in hospital with anothe collarbone. Very Nearly gave up bikes altogether but too depressing,, In the end realised motorcycles are pretty important to me and need re-evaluate if I want to keep riding into old age.
My surgeon said he has a patient with a fused wrist showing him videos doing freestyle mx jumps so it's not the end of the world, lucky its the left wrist suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:42 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

foaminsert wrote:
mxrob wrote:
foaminsert wrote:

Eventually I will need it pinned apparently. For now I've had the lunate bone removed and carpal tunnel release, some special stitching tendons or something while he was in there. Was given the option of fully pinning right away and full reconstruction was out of the question. The lunate bone was flipped everything basically stuffed in there. I had no feeling in my fingers for a long time. Couldn't pull a clutch, anyway the hand works ok now and hoping and praying the wrist will be ok for some years to come. Maybe 50% strength which is ok for most riding. considered giving up bikes all together when I crashed again Christmas Eve ended up in hospital with anothe collarbone. Very Nearly gave up bikes altogether but too depressing,, In the end realised motorcycles are pretty important to me and need re-evaluate if I want to keep riding into old age.
My surgeon said he has a patient with a fused wrist showing him videos doing freestyle mx jumps so it's not the end of the world, lucky its the left wrist suppose.

Foam i know what you are going through. the Lunate is no joke, you can literally loose your hand from a lunate injury. mine got ripped out of place and trashed a ton of different bones and tendons/ligaments......September 7th will be 3 years from the date of the incident and its not been the same since. good luck with recovery that surgery is miserable.

for those who dont know they cut straight down the palm of your hand........if F'ing nasty.
here, there are pics from my Lunate surgery here
topic12920.html

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:28 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

My left wrist also.Not good,a bunch of pins,staples,stitches and hurt like hell.While I was under they also screwed a plate on my right collar bone.I didn't even realise I had two broken ribs until 2 weeks later.After they pulled most of the hardware from my wrist I was told I would likely have very limited use of my left hand as a result of the condition of my wrist.I hardly recognized my hand when the cast was removed.After lots of therapy I could pull in the clutch and now back at 'er.Even useing my chainsaw,no issues.It is hard to quit doin' something I've been doin' for over 50 years,ridin' that is ridin'.Keep the rubber side down and keep your eyes peeled for cows.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:25 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

More common than I thought, even the surgeon said he had never removed just the lunate before, I got a second opinion before going ahead. The only other option is fixed wrist but no pain or further operations, but this way I've still got movement in the wrist and I can do most things but I get up a closed fist and avoid twisting actions when power drill changing bits and like.

Attachments:
IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0492.JPG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 119 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:41 pm 
DR650 Limits Tester

Man that looks familiar

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:55 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Amazingly similar, looking back at old post from 3yrs ago wow power of the interweb. Well I got myself a big scooter in the goldwing to keep occupied it's something completely different and a challenge at low speeds and up my gravel driveway.
It's allways easy to swap parts to a new dr I know I've still got heaps of dr parts, a x40f0 and a dg exhaust suspension Barnett clutch footpegs so much dr stuff I might as well use too someday
:drinks: