www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:40 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:33 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Trying to find what is working best as far as sleep pads and sleeping bags go. I want to get good gear the first time, I finally got what works when I truck the bikes to camp, now I want to be able to pack what I need on the bike for when I really want to get away and I know my current setup up is way too big and heavy. The hammock set up look interesting but I've never used one and I'm concerned that there may not be suitable trees everywhere I want to camp. Comfort is a priority as being able to sleep well makes everything else that much better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:37 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Lack of trees is a valid concern, not an issue here in NC. I can't sleep on the ground anymore with my back and converted to hammocks several years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:37 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

i have a therarest ultra light cot and a little thermarest pillow, throw a sleeping bag on top of it, beats 99% of the motel beds i've been on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:31 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

i got a good quality large nemo mat.
i have a small 3/4 thermarest for hiking - too small for the bike on a long trip over a few weeks.
and a whole bunch of other mats as well.

when i was looking the last time i went to the ultra light hiking store for a look see.
i thought the guy was just pushing the nemo because it was new and he had a bunch of them.

mentioned in the stove thread i eventually stand on all my gear in my riding boots, drunk or not when on a bike trip.
everything i take, has to be idiot and boot proof.

anyway, when i was in the shop i asked about strength of the nemo.
he said come back in your riding boots so i did.
blew the mattress up in the shop and walked across it in my boots - all good.
purchase made - folds up smaller than my sleeping bag - allows me to take my helinox ground chair with the space saving.

it's ultra light so i wouldn't expose it to fire embers, but other than that served me well for my last big trip.
if you can find a shop that let you do what i did you'll find a winner.
my tip, buy as wide as possible, if your sore and stiff at the end of the day,
the ability to turn and roll without running out of mat helps.

as for bags i got synthetic and down.
the synthetic dries quicker if you spill something on it..
i have a few different graded ones and a cotton and silk liner as well.
if i'm not sure where I'll end up temp wise, i always have thermals to put on and i carry a large emergency space bag as well i can use if i get caught out.
they say you can make a warm bag cooler, but can't make a cool bag warmer, but you can also sleep in you're riding gear as well if the bag is big enough.

only other point is i loathe the tight cocoon bags, if you get one of those check it has 2 zips for both ends.
when I'm a bit sore i like to spread the body a bit wider.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:50 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

You guys have got some great ideas, I like the idea of a cot, that is what I have switched to for all my other camping. But it is big and heavy albeit very comfortable. I've never used a pad and I like the idea of it being easy to pack and lightweight. Since I'm new to motocamping I'm quite sure I'll be overloaded the first couple times.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:47 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Very personal of course, but my .02...

I don`t like the hammock feeling even lounging for a few, so have no interest in sleeping in one, BUT the dedicated hammock crowd don`t seem to let lack of trees get in the way. If they interest you, hit up a few threads on the UL backpacking or cycling forums and see what ideas you can glean.

I have found the new blow-up-by-mouth air mattresses (Big Agness style) to be very comfortable. Carried one for a couple years but after mine died I eventually went back to self inflating for a variety of reasons. Now giving a little thought to picking up another of that type- many more to choose from on the market now than there were 5 or 6 years ago.

My usual camp bed is a 3/4 length Thermalite Prolite. Not as comfortable as the 2 inch thick blow up doll, but much more compact, and comfortable enough for me up to a week. I wouldn`t want to sleep on one every night for a really long trip, but a week is about my max available time anyway, so not a problem there.

You might consider the system recently popularized by Big Agness where you have a pocket in the bottom of the bag rather than insulation, idea being you stuff your air mattress in so you can`t roll off it and it won`t compact into a useless thin layer under your weight. Personally I didn`t like that route (something like being strapped to a gurney, but in a very mild way), but a lot of folks love it.

Don`t forget about quilts as an option.

I "get" that synthetic is more wet-friendly than down, but I`m still a down fan, even more now that I have gotten over the fear of freezing to death because of two drops of water that might have found their way into my down bag. They aren`t as good at dealing with dampness as synthetic, but not THAT bad. My prized piece of gear over the past four or five years is my Feathered Friends 30* womens bag- hand sewn in Seattle by well treated gnomes using only the finest goose down and unicorn fur with moon rock studded zipper pulls. It packs to the size of a grape and has kept me toasty warm on the top of Everest in January and... well, just say I really, really like my bag even though the price tag would choke a horse. If I ever get divorced (would have surely happened already if my wife had noticed the charge on the CC when I bought that bag) I`ll marry it.

EDIT: +1 to Nogoodnames`s mention of thermals. Great way to to pack when you aren`t sure about the weather- light and compact, not too expensive, can be used in the bag, around camp, or under riding gear to add five to ten degrees of comfort to whatever else you are already carrying. Head covering is nice too. Thin polyester balaclava for me in that department cause it fits relatively well under my helmet on a cold morning as well as around camp or while I sleep.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:53 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I have an old (40+ year old) queen size heated water bed - MMmmmm :s_smile Had to replace the water bag about a decade ago.
... but I don't take it camping with me :sad:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:51 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Lots of options. My dodgy back however thanks me every night under the stars for a 90 mm Exped mattress. I wore out my downmat and am happy now with a synmat. The rest is up to you, but the mattress is #1 for getting a proper night's sleep.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/tags/sleeping-mats

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:04 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

When you have trees available you just can't beat the comfort of a hammock:

Of course there can be times when suitable trees are hard to find:

I bought a Handy Hammock stand so that I would have a way of setting up my hammock even when there are no trees at all. It is easier to use trees if I can but I really don't want to go back to sleeping on the ground like some kind of animal so I don't take a tent at all, just my hammock and the portable stand.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:54 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

The more I think about it, a hammock seems to be the way to go for me. Less stuff to carry and buy. And since I do really like trees, I'll just plan on riding and camping where there are trees. If no trees, I'll find a hotel.