www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:57 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I bought a second BST40 carb from a local DR member so I could do the "BST Magic" to it and maintain my perfectly running stock carb. To my surprise, when I opened up the carb I bought, it already had a jet kit installed and had a tapered needle with a drilled slide. So the heavy lifting was already done, now I need to tune it. My bike came stock with this swiss cheese airbox door. So, with the original carb, I made a plastic plate to cover all of the holes because the carb was 100% stock. With the blocked door and the snorkel removed, the bike ran great with only a little hesitation off idle, but no surging or anything out of the ordinary.

Now skip ahead to installing the carb with all of the modifications. I swapped the components I wanted from the modified carb over to my stock carb. I had no written instructions, but I have seen plenty of videos to do the mods.
That includes:
-Tapered needle with clip on the 4th position and a small washer under the clip.
-Cut spring
-150 main jet (I don't know what brand)
-Drilled slide
-adjustable fuel screw

Here are the things I have done to the bike/were already done to the bike:
Airbox snorkel removed
Header pipe weld ground down
Twin air filter
Supertrapp exhaust
Uni secondary breather filter
fuel screw out 1.5 turns
Components listed above were swapped in to the carb after being cleaned.
Blocking plate on the swiss cheese air box door removed

The bike idles fine, just as it did with the stock components. It seems to run fine too, but I have noticed two distinct new "features" of this new set up.
1) The bike is a lot louder on acceleration (almost like putting a cold air intake kit on a 4 cylinder) I am assuming this is due to the swiss cheese design on the air box door now being open.

2) The bike pops on decel, almost as if I were shooting a cap gun at about 3-4 rounds per second. (pop, pop, pop.......pop, pop, pop)

Now the help I need:
1) Who is the manufacturer of the jet kit I have based on the pictures?
2) How do I get the distinct popping on decel to go away?
3) Should I put the backing plate back on to block all of these holes and drill a 2" hole in the top of the airbox instead?

Attachment:
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG [ 530.61 KiB | Viewed 162 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG [ 787.88 KiB | Viewed 162 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1435.JPG [ 540.66 KiB | Viewed 162 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1437.JPG [ 840.97 KiB | Viewed 162 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1439.JPG
IMG_1439.JPG [ 650.6 KiB | Viewed 162 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:54 pm 

The intake noise is from the side cover drilling for sure. Cutting the top makes noise too just different. Popping on decel IMO is normal on this bike IMO, although annoying. When I had a BST I could get rid of the popping by opening the pilot screw 3-4 turns. Running too rich with that setting though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:46 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Decel popping on the DR is normal after the installation of an aftermarket exhaust, pilot circuit tuning helps, installing a FCR39-40 helps since they have the magic decel popping eliminator circuit. Holding the throttle open a hair while decelerating helps also. Using your brakes and not using compression braking also works 100% of the time, as some have pointed out "Brake pad are cheaper than fuel" decel braking consumes fuel... I still do it every once in a while just 'cause it sounds cool.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

The aftermarket exhaust has been on there since I got the bike. I have never noticed the decel popping this bad. If it happened before this carb change, I didn't notice it enough to concern me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:27 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

jtsupra wrote:
The aftermarket exhaust has been on there since I got the bike. I have never noticed the decel popping this bad. If it happened before this carb change, I didn't notice it enough to concern me.

I did some carb mods and no popping with the stock exhaust but as soon as I put on the aftermarket slip on it popped like a cap gun too. I cut the spring, drilled the slide, adjusted fuel screw out 1.5 turns(I'll do 2 turns now and see), 1mm of shims under stock needle, pulled the snorkel, and have a k&n(came with bike). I do have a 150 size jet. I wonder if I should throw that on and drill maybe 1 inch hole in the airbox. If I drilled 3 holes maybe I would need to get a new needle. Does anyone know where to buy just the needle?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:56 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Popping happens just as well on a stock exhaust (at least on my bike). And quite loud actually.

I have had two European spec DR's, and now have US spec DR's in the mancave. The US spec DR's pops way harder than the EU spec did (the EU bikes just leave wet farts). I blame this to the different exhausts between these two models. The EU (and Aus) exhaust is far more restricting and (thus) quieter than the US one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:18 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I love the popping when I slam the door on the FCR makes the DR sound like a Ducati Monster with an angry tune. Id be a little boring without it.

........... how do I get more? :dirol:

Last edited by LA Thumper on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:34 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I adjusted my fuel screw 2 turns out and went for a ride and hardly any popping yesterday. If I do some major throttling then let off in 1st or 2nd there was some but normal riding there was none. I only have a 140 main with some minor mods with my danmoto exhaust

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:42 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Do my eyes deceive me or has that "150" main jet been drilled wider...? :OMG:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:10 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Decel popping can be almost eliminated by going to a 45 pilot. Also your needle with the spacer is probably too rich by one clip position. With a straight thru muffler we normally go to a 155 main. Good luck!

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!