www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 10:45 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:33 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

The difference is amazing!

I installed my LV X3 muffler last night and took the bike to work today. The muffler is beautifully understated in its design. It looks very natural on a Dual Sport. The quality of all the components are high and everything lined up perfectly.

I fitted the long tube and spark arrester. At first start up the exhaust sounded almost like stock. Just a tad louder but it didn't give the "Wow that's loud!" initial impression. My first reaction was, I think I want to put the shorter tube for more volume. But after 20 miles I'm kind of liking that subdued exhaust. It's just louder than stock but it has a deeper tone especially at revs. It doesn't have that sharper braaaping sound from other aftermarket exhaust, which I can't stand.

Pardon me for the low quality cell phone pictures.

First ride with the exhaust video (it sounds better with headphones). Sorry for the amateur finger in camera and unedited truck drive by:

Ride by footage:

Last one:

Last edited by DesertRogue on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:36 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Put anti-seize on the end cap screws :drinks:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:29 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Roger that. I read the posts here and put anti-seize on those Allen bolts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:45 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

75 more miles later....

What more can I say about the ProCycle Jet kit that hasn't already been said? Reading it from others on this website is one thing. Experiencing it is another! I followed PS' instructions to the letter (for reals I did!). I did NOT drill holes in the airbox but instead, removed the side cover. It's a bigger hole on that side and it took way LESS effort to do this, so why not? And there is actually an "intake" opening on the bike's side cover that looks every bit like it directs fresh air right into the side of the airbox. Hell yeah! Fresh Air intake! Though not a true ram air, my thought is the bigger "hole" of not having that side cover may be better than two 3/4" holes on top of the air box.

The bike has way more torque now low down and in the mid range. Enough so that I can easily use 3rd gear on corner exits that required 2nd gear before. I can now also shift less because I can keep it in 5th under 55 mph and just smoothly accelerate away without lugging the engine. Before, the engine just didn't want to tolerate being made to pull below 4k in any of the top 3 gears. Also, it feels like it revs faster. It's a lot more fun to ride around town now too because the engine responds quicker to throttle input. I can also short shift from 1st the 2nd and have plenty of power coming out of that gap in the 1-2 shift. Then, I can continue on short shifting it up to 5th because the engine can pull those taller gears without feeling strained and falling flat on its power band like it did before. On the highway, it easily accelerates from 70 to 85. Not that it was slow before that, but now the response is much more immediate. It's still happiest around 75 on the highway but that's just me. At 70-85, exhaust and intake sounds are very much subdued. I can hear the exhaust sure. But only when I got WOT does that intake howl and exhaust note get louder.

The sound from the side ways opened airbox is sweet!! It's a whomping howl and it sounds great during deceleration (listen to the video with earphones and you will hear it). During normal acceleration, the bike has a very deep voice, and not at all obnoxious but definitely can be heard! It's louder at WOT but never annoying nor ear piercing! I love this!

If you are on the fence on upgrading your stock BST40 or even slightly shimmed BST40, don't hesitate! Do the PS breathe easy kit and your bike will feel fantastic!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:24 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

DesertRogue wrote:
75 more miles later....

What more can I say about the ProCycle Jet kit that hasn't already been said? Reading it from others on this website is one thing. Experiencing it is another! I followed PS' instructions to the letter (for reals I did!). I did NOT drill holes in the airbox but instead, removed the side cover. It's a bigger hole on that side and it took way LESS effort to do this, so why not? And there is actually an "intake" opening on the bike's side cover that looks every bit like it directs fresh air right into the side of the airbox. Hell yeah! Fresh Air intake! Though not a true ram air, my thought is the bigger "hole" of not having that side cover may be better than two 3/4" holes on top of the air box.

The bike has way more torque now low down and in the mid range. Enough so that I can easily use 3rd gear on corner exits that required 2nd gear before. I can now also shift less because I can keep it in 5th under 55 mph and just smoothly accelerate away without lugging the engine. Before, the engine just didn't want to tolerate being made to pull below 4k in any of the top 3 gears. Also, it feels like it revs faster. It's a lot more fun to ride around town now too because the engine responds quicker to throttle input. I can also short shift from 1st the 2nd and have plenty of power coming out of that gap in the 1-2 shift. Then, I can continue on short shifting it up to 5th because the engine can pull those taller gears without feeling strained and falling flat on its power band like it did before. On the highway, it easily accelerates from 70 to 85. Not that it was slow before that, but now the response is much more immediate. It's still happiest around 75 on the highway but that's just me. At 70-85, exhaust and intake sounds are very much subdued. I can hear the exhaust sure. But only when I got WOT does that intake howl and exhaust note get louder.

The sound from the side ways opened airbox is sweet!! It's a whomping howl and it sounds great during deceleration (listen to the video with earphones and you will hear it). During normal acceleration, the bike has a very deep voice, and not at all obnoxious but definitely can be heard! It's louder at WOT but never annoying nor ear piercing! I love this!

If you are on the fence on upgrading your stock BST40 or even slightly shimmed BST40, don't hesitate! Do the PS breathe easy kit and your bike will feel fantastic!

Most people find the side cover removed from the airbox offensively loud. Myself being one in that group. I'd much rather hear the beautiful exhaust note of my 40F0 than listen to the echoing honk of the open airbox. Your filter will get trashed far faster as well. If you ride in wet weather... well, don't.

Not sure where the "two 3/4" holes" came from but that would be completely inadequate for supply air to the engine with the PC jet kit. I'm thinking you might have left out the part where you drill those two holes in a certain pattern and then cut out all of the material between them and the original snorkel hole. Seriously, put the cover back on (hopefully you removed the cover nuts or they may have removed themselves) and do the box mod. It's far superior in every way. :s_yes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:15 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I don't find the intake howl offensive. It sounds pretty good. But yes you are absolutely right on riding in the rain because that hole on the side covers has a direct line into the intake. I'll follow your advice and put the cover back on and cut the top instead. And the screws that fasten the side cover are safe and sound inside a plastic bag.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:16 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

DesertRogue wrote:
I don't find the intake howl offensive. It sounds pretty good. But yes you are absolutely right on riding in the rain because that hole on the side covers has a direct line into the intake. I'll follow your advice and put the cover back on and cut the top instead. And the screws that fasten the side cover are safe and sound inside a plastic bag.

How about the nuts that slip into the slots in the airbox body. Those are what you have to worry about if you didn't remove them and put them in the bag with the screws. :pardon:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:20 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

mxrob said: "Not sure where the "two 3/4" holes" came from but that would be completely inadequate for supply air to the engine with the PC jet kit."

Indeed. In theory you would need at lest 13.5 sq. in. of opening to equal the area of the 4.25" dia. plenum (where the back fire screen is) (pi x dia.).

The snorkle hole is approx. 5 sq. in. which leaves you with still needing at least 8.5 sq. in. of area. Either a 2.75" single hole or (2) 1.375" holes would make up the balance needed. Two .75" holes would leave you about 5.5 sq. in. short of min. I went a little above and have about 15 sq. in. of opening in the top of the box. I also find the side off to be too noisy as I prefer the exhaust sound of my X3 over the intake honk. I also have a TM40 and enjoy the snappier throttle response it gives over the BST. Count me as an X3 fan too! :good:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:13 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Taking the bike to the Salton Sea tomorrow. Lots of wind is forecasted so I will find out how it does and whether I get surging from the gusts. I'll also find out how the fuel efficiency and mileage holds up on a longer ride.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:43 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Just finished a 400+ mile ride on the modded DR up and over the mountains of SoCal, and then down onto the desert to visit the Salton Sea. Temps ranged from 55 all the way to 88 degrees F but the winds were blowing something fierce in areas.

The bike consistently hits 46-53 mpg depending upon road conditions and my throttle hand. Riding briskly in the canyons but not too hard on the throttle, the bike returned 53.5 mpg. Riding it hard with lots of WOT throttle starts, WOT in the highway against lots of headwind, passing slow cars, etc., the worst was 46 mpg.

This bike is FUN to ride! LOL! I rode with a couple of guys on sportbikes, one on an S1000R, and they were both impressed by the DR's handling and ability to pull away in the midrange (passing and corner exits). Truth be told, I wish I had a bit more top end but I had to keep reminding myself...."You're on a Dual Sport with a single cylinder 650cc NOT a multi-cylinder sportbike with 100+ rwhp!" Out in the open desert, especially when riding against the wind, my DR does take a bit more time to get up to higher speeds compared to what I'm used to. So I'm ok with this. It's even more ok when upon reaching our destination, the Salton Sea, I was able to hit some hard packed dirt and sandy washes. Meanwhile my sport bike buddies were riding on eggshells avoiding pot holes and gravel sections. LOL! I also had fun jumping curbs along the abandoned sections of the area (plenty near the Salton Sea). I really enjoyed doing that part.

The DR parked along Bombay Beach. This area is chock full of places to just jump off the paved areas onto light offroading. I MUST return but next time without my sportbike friends who can't go to places I can.

The shoreline.