www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:39 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:44 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

It has a masterlink so I was able to take off easily. It cleaned of nicely other than some surface rust since someone let it sit outside I'm thinking in the past. Chain seems to move fine with no tight links doing the "V" kink. I think I need to pack lithium or bearing grease for the masterlink. My main concern is the o rings for the masterlink look worn. The are still in a disc shape but it looks like there are grooves warn into each side. I could be wrong but I don't think it's an x ring chian. DID 525 V8, which I'm pretty sure is o ring. I called the yamaha dealer but they don't sell just o rings. I know O Reilly does but not sure that they are chain quality. O rings for just seals that don't move are probably a whole nuthah thing. Maybe I can just recycle them. Anyone come across the same concern?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:34 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Just buy a new master link and keep the old one for a spare. joe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:06 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I wouldn't be.. nor have been. Lube up the masterlink, put the semi-worn o-rings on and call it a day. Clean and light lube once in a while wouldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:33 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I saw a post where a guy asked a similar question about a DID 525 V8 chain just like mine and his rings looked identical. When I inspected all 4 I realized they are not o rings but maybe another type. It's possible they all wore down exactly the same way but somehow I think they are meant to be that way so I just put some bearing grease on the master link with the rings and I did call it a day. Then put some chain wax on. On a side now with only 3500 miles on the bike there was a decent amount of grime on all the places chain oil hits. I took all the pieces off and cleaned them. I'm hoping with chain wax it won't accumulate too much stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:45 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

jeffrimerman wrote:
I saw a post where a guy asked a similar question about a DID 525 V8 chain just like mine and his rings looked identical. When I inspected all 4 I realized they are not o rings but maybe another type. It's possible they all wore down exactly the same way but somehow I think they are meant to be that way so I just put some bearing grease on the master link with the rings and I did call it a day. Then put some chain wax on. On a side now with only 3500 miles on the bike there was a decent amount of grime on all the places chain oil hits. I took all the pieces off and cleaned them. I'm hoping with chain wax it won't accumulate too much stuff.

i got a DID vx chain
this is my spare link still in the bag - never used.
maybe they use the same 'rings for all of em perhaps.

new spare link was dirt cheap, as recommended above you could always buy a spare if your worried about it.
if you're gonna remove the chain often for cleaning, ( I don't ) you're probably gonna bend the clip link eventually and not trust it.
easier to just order a new one now.

Attachment:
IMG_2909.jpg
IMG_2909.jpg [ 131.9 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:15 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I bet you're right and they use the same master link rings. Now that I think of it, the master link was gold and my chain isn't gold. Someone might have used a x-ring master link.