www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:55 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A puzzler
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:25 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

At one point during my ride today, she was backfiring terribly on deceleration...I pulled the clutch in and she stalled.
Started right back up again without any issues, but seem to run a bit "notchy" for the rest of the ride.
When I got home, I tweaked the idle mixture a bit leaner but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

For the record, I just de-winterized...fresh (no ethanol) fuel...1 oz of Seafoam into tank...new oil and filter...new iridium plugs...air-filter is cleaned and re-oiled...nothing out of the ordinary.

Suggestions?

2010 Black DR650 - Raptor Petcock...MSR skid plate...Stock chain-roller removed/"Seat Concepts" seat kit/Lower ball-bearing roller/AMP case armor/Pro-Moto rack/Twin Air filter/520 conversion/TM40 pumper carb/8.3 Rear spring/ProCycle Case saver/WARP 9 bar-risers/IMS 4.9 gal Tank/Homemade Chainguard topic15058.html NSU Fix topic14597.html NSU Fix re-visited topic14828.html
DR_Rider blog: https://dr650rider.blogspot.ca/

Post subject: Re: A puzzler
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:14 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

DR_Rider wrote:
At one point during my ride today, she was backfiring terribly on deceleration...I pulled the clutch in and she stalled.
Started right back up again without any issues, but seem to run a bit "notchy" for the rest of the ride.
When I got home, I tweaked the idle mixture a bit leaner but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

For the record, I just de-winterized...fresh (no ethanol) fuel...1 oz of Seafoam into tank...new oil and filter...new iridium plugs...air-filter is cleaned and re-oiled...nothing out of the ordinary.

Suggestions?

Backfiring on decel could be too lean.
Guys here will up a pilot to help, but pop has never worried me on decel if the bike runs good.
Maybe you're mixture was just on the lean side before and there is just a bit more oil in the air filter now than before, after the clean and change you did.
You could run the bike to temp and check the mixture properly from both directions.
Maybe you need to go just a touch richer.

I'm lucky enough to live a short ride from Auscanvet.
I'd fiddled with carbs on other bikes before, but will always try and learn more from those that know more, and have more experience with the bike.
He took the time to run through the whole set up for me,
Showing a few things to make it easier along the way and explaining things as he went along while working on it.
Top bloke.

Even if it's something i've done before, i always check as there's always a smarter bloke than me here, that knows a better way to do it.
Hopefully one of em will be along shortly for other thoughts than mine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:56 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I wish I could return the favour but some things I know only enough to get in trouble.
As you well know my friend. LOL. Thanks for your help by the way.
Wishing you a speedy fix as I know this great group will help you out in no time.
Stuzuki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:43 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Ok -

Did you accidentally over oil the filter and some get sucked into carb? (Carb cleaning)

Did you check to ensure your choke is closing fully? (I once accidentally bent my choke knob reinstalling tank and had similar running issues till new choke installed).

Did you try sticking the old plugs back in?

Did you check all connections from sparkplug caps back?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:19 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It's not backfiring btw, it's decel popping (call it after burning).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:21 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It was backfiring through the muffler on decel...which typically indicates RICH...and apparently it was rich enough to stall, yet she re-started without effort...which is the "puzzling" part of this.
I've heard decel popping through the carb indicates a LEAN mixture, but this was definitely out the back!
Or maybe I just have my definitions wrong... :s_thinking

I should also mention that the de-winterization was done about a week ago, so this behaviour is relatively new. She was running fine for the previous few days.
This is NEW type of air-filter oil that I'm using, so there is the possibility that I overdid it...

2010 Black DR650 - Raptor Petcock...MSR skid plate...Stock chain-roller removed/"Seat Concepts" seat kit/Lower ball-bearing roller/AMP case armor/Pro-Moto rack/Twin Air filter/520 conversion/TM40 pumper carb/8.3 Rear spring/ProCycle Case saver/WARP 9 bar-risers/IMS 4.9 gal Tank/Homemade Chainguard topic15058.html NSU Fix topic14597.html NSU Fix re-visited topic14828.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:50 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Go ahead and pull the filter and give it a squeeze. It could be over-oiled, but I doubt it.

If it is, that's one more thing out of the way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:00 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Backfire is through the carb is mostly timing,decell popping is a result of a lean condition.Being a big single doesn't help.If your good at and don't chop the throttle all the way close it won't pop.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:47 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Thanks to all for the suggestions...

I was unable to do any work on it today, because of circumstances....and then the weather, but I'll try some of these options.
With my luck...it will be something simple, like when the Rotella bent my shifter. :whistling:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:20 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

really sounds like a choke issue to me. check to make sure it has free travel and not 'sticking'. it's a very light return spring on there, so it isn't a real positive return.