www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 6:37 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BST Question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:31 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Not to bring up old news but having a jetting issue with my Carby.
Background :
Pro Cycle jet kit 155 main jet, 4th clip on needle.
Stock exhaust, Pro Cycle mod to air box, New float assy and O rings in carb last season. Clean and lightly oiled K+N air filter, valves adjusted last season. New spark plugs. Fresh oil last fall.
Okay here I go.
Idle and off idle is performing excellent. I have been fighting a mid range bog and known surge carb issue. Two fold as you will read.
I solved the mid range power loss and surging for the most part? (it was real bad) By my removing a closed cell piece of foam (wrong type) I installed in the small filter for carb slide vent. I know I should have known better but lets say that area is now breathing properly.
So my issue now is when I give it half to full throttle and then let off the bike picks up speed. Plus at extended running in the low to mid range throttle for extended time the throttle response is surging. It will clear after a few throttle wacks but this is no good(or fun) on the dirt roads.
Am I too rich in the main jet ?
I know to do one adjustment at a time and I have been beating a dead horse so to speak with my "stewpidity" on the closed cell foam issue and fugging about trying to get this beast jetted right. I put the jets and settings as close as I thought to Pro Cycle specs. Note they do recommend a 145 main not the 150 I have in there currently.
So my question is should I put in the 145 to get rid of the full throttle issue of the speed picking up after I let off the throttle to half?
Appreciate the help as always.
Stewed Stew with a bogging DR is awaiting your expertise.

Post subject: Re: BST Question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:35 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Yes, main is too rich.
Drop back to the 145 like Procycle recommends.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:49 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I had the same setup as you (stock exhaust and cut airbox) but only had the clip in the third (middle) groove...

2010 Black DR650 - Raptor Petcock...MSR skid plate...Stock chain-roller removed/"Seat Concepts" seat kit/Lower ball-bearing roller/AMP case armor/Pro-Moto rack/Twin Air filter/520 conversion/TM40 pumper carb/8.3 Rear spring/ProCycle Case saver/WARP 9 bar-risers/IMS 4.9 gal Tank/Homemade Chainguard topic15058.html NSU Fix topic14597.html NSU Fix re-visited topic14828.html
DR_Rider blog: https://dr650rider.blogspot.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:50 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

JB™ wrote:
Yes, main is too rich.
Drop back to the 145 like Procycle recommends.

Thanks for the help.
I appreciate the help big time. Mondays am job and hope this awakens the potential I have felt in the throttle
response on occasion. I bought this bike used and jetting was a mess from day one (PO had a JD jet kit in it ) so still getting used to what this bike is capable of in throttle and power. Stock wise.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:58 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

DR_Rider wrote:
I had the same setup as you (stock exhaust and cut airbox) but only had the clip in the third (middle) groove...

This makes sense to me also with the mid range surging I am having. I will set the main jet to 145. Test and then if mid range hiccup is still there I will try 3rd clip.
Thanks a lot for the help.
Respect from one happier Canadian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:15 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Reckon that's good advice - with a fully opened air box, a fat front pipe and a 35F muffler, I'm only running a 152.5 mikuni jet. I'd say 155 is probably a bit much.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:32 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

wotavidone wrote:
Reckon that's good advice - with a fully opened air box, a fat front pipe and a 35F muffler, I'm only running a 152.5 mikuni jet. I'd say 155 is probably a bit much.

From what I am reading from all the responses I am thinking so too.
Its been a challenge for me with the PO`s jet job (he had air box door off also. Now installed) and my dumb foam job on that intricate operating slide assembly and then trying jet it with the wrong foam in place has had me in fits. I just knew I pickled some thing up when reading Pro Cycles jet instructions and backing it up with dyno results and then the results were as poor as they have been.
Appreciate all this confidence boost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:43 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

...but seriously, if you want to be REALLY happy...get yourself a TM40.

BIG difference!

2010 Black DR650 - Raptor Petcock...MSR skid plate...Stock chain-roller removed/"Seat Concepts" seat kit/Lower ball-bearing roller/AMP case armor/Pro-Moto rack/Twin Air filter/520 conversion/TM40 pumper carb/8.3 Rear spring/ProCycle Case saver/WARP 9 bar-risers/IMS 4.9 gal Tank/Homemade Chainguard topic15058.html NSU Fix topic14597.html NSU Fix re-visited topic14828.html
DR_Rider blog: https://dr650rider.blogspot.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:49 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

DR_Rider wrote:
...but seriously, if you want to be REALLY happy...get yourself a TM40.

BIG difference!

Yes Sir.
This is on my wish list with a lighter, better breathing exhaust assembly.
I have a hidden wish list secretly squirreled away from prying eyes and its at the top.
If the Mrs ever saw it I think the dog house would be my new digs. :-(
She shook her head pretty hard when I Cogentified the suspension. Safety first Hunny Buns, I said. :-)
So far so good
Stew
:biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Latest News.
+7celsius outside today here in Ontario Canada.
Got the beast all buttoned up and back to Pro Cycle specs. Baseline run she took awhile to warm up while riding. Cold outside.
I gave up beening the throttle after my legs went numb. I got it to pull cleanly after two rounds of (ten, fifteen mins)
going around my neighbourhood. No major bog in midrange and when I let off after full throttle it did not pick up speed.
Need warmer temps outside to get her good and hot and see how she reacts then. But all good at this point.
Thank you every one for all the info. This site has helped me many times and by different people. Great group of people here.
I even found a You Tube site and Blogger here when getting info. More rainy day fun. :-)
I will update with info when I get back out there.
Thanks everybody
Cheers from one happy again Canadian
:bumps: