www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:13 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:04 am 

3cav84a wrote:
Mate a great ride report, I am interested on your ride between Cameron corner and Tibaburra, I remember it as fairly sandy many years ago. Did you have to deflate your tyres at all on that stretch?.

The road from Cameron Corner to Tibooburra was in not too bad a condition, so a reasonably easy ride there.
However when l was at the service station in Tibooburra they asked me where l was heading and when l said through Wanaaring to Bourke the suggested l change my plan and head south to Wilcannia via White Cliffs. They said the road from Wanaaring to Bourke was particularly sandy. At Wanaaring the man who owns the service station and shop said that a couple of weeks ago the road was so bad he almost got dry bogged in the sand in his truck, but that they had had some rain since then and that may of packed the sand down a bit.
So l was quite worried when l set off on that stretch. It was very very sandy and l am not a particularly experienced sand rider especialy on a heavily loaded bike. So it was quite a stressfull ride and a fast learning curve in sand riding skills. The picture of the red sand road was taken on this section but was on one of the very good sections, in other places it was just deep churned up sand, no stopping to take photographs there. I road the whole trip with the tyres at normal road pressure.
Prior to the trip l talked to a number of people about tyre pressures on dirt roads, some said lower the pressure some said not. One said that by lowering the pressure i would risk 'pinch punctures. I know from many years of 4WD outback driving that driving at low pressures with tubed tyres the friction between the tube and tyre will cause very slow flat tyres, often deflating overnight. As a result of this some years ago i changed my 4WD rims so that l could run tubeless tyres (getting off track a bit there)
So the answer to your question is that l ran my tyres at normal road pressures and had no punctures. I am not an agressive rider really quite the opposite, I was gentle on the bike and gentle on my body, particularly my body as l will be 70 years old in 12 months time. Yes i know, i have already heard plenty of comments about 'old men on motorbikes'.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:01 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Thanks for the pics suzukirider,
That pic of the Birdsville pub brings back some memories.
:drinks:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:42 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Excellent ride report. Good call on taking both front and rear tubes. On a recent day ride i picked up a large nail on the back tire in the first five minutes. Before the ride I thought that I could get away with just a front tube to lower bulk and weight. I went to work and stuffed that front tube into the rear tire and went on. It lasted for the next four hours of riding. At home when I changed out the front tube in the rear tire it had split where it folded over inside the tire like a knife had cut it. I don't know if it was friction or what but It would not have made it much longer. I now bring both.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:48 am 

Bigshot wrote:
Excellent ride report. Good call on taking both front and rear tubes. On a recent day ride i picked up a large nail on the back tire in the first five minutes. Before the ride I thought that I could get away with just a front tube to lower bulk and weight. I went to work and stuffed that front tube into the rear tire and went on. It lasted for the next four hours of riding. At home when I changed out the front tube in the rear tire it had split where it folded over inside the tire like a knife had cut it. I don't know if it was friction or what but It would not have made it much longer. I now bring both.

Thanks for your feedback, that helped convince me to take both again on my next camping trip.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:06 am 

Thanks for your reply on the condition of the road from Cameron Corner to Tiboburru, nice photos too. How did you actually get onto the bike with all that gear? I have just recently upgraded the suspension front and back on my DR and I am struggling to throw my leg over the seat. I am 6'2" with a long back but short legs and I don't know how I could mount the bike.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:24 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

3cav84a wrote:
Thanks for your reply on the condition of the road from Cameron Corner to Tiboburru, nice photos too. How did you actually get onto the bike with all that gear? I have just recently upgraded the suspension front and back on my DR and I am struggling to throw my leg over the seat. I am 6'2" with a long back but short legs and I don't know how I could mount the bike.

with a "big" load i sometimes find it easier to mount from the high side ( not the kickstand side.)

for suzukirider - what jumpstarter are you using on your list.
i'm looking for one that will do my harley and dr but they seem $$$
or reviews say they are no good - think it's early day technology perhaps still..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:17 pm 

[quote="Nogoodnamesleft"

for suzukirider - what jumpstarter are you using on your list.
i'm looking for one that will do my harley and dr but they seem $$$
or reviews say they are no good - think it's early day technology perhaps still..[/quote]

The jumpstarter l used was purchased from Repco a couple of years ago from their sale catalogue, (You can see the brand etc in the attached photo).I agree that its probably early days as far as the technology goes but l have had no problems with mine so far. I have used it on 6 occasions on various vehicles....My wifes Rav4 when her battery was on its way out. On the DR650 just before replacing the battery. On an old 1960's Jaguar that had been layed up for months (yes, it started it, but l suspect it had very low compression) and a small Toyota Mini bus in a roadside rest area, (the driver had left his lights on). I had one failure, my neighbour's ute which has a diesel motor (high compression) it tried but did not have the power to crank it over.
As you can see from the picture it is rated 400Amps and there are currently much more powerful ones available, but for the DR650 this is heaps of power. I have also charged my phone from it using one of the USB ports. There are alternative options like fitting a second battery to the bike, or if travelling with other bikes or in areas where there is other traffic carrying jumper leads may be the best solution.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 100 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:35 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Cheers for that.
I carry a powerbank as well, but this would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Followed a link a while back that i think ER70S-2 posted about em and people having trouble with brands and fakes of them.
Got confused and put it in the too hard basket.
One for my DR seems easy enough to sort, but my harley has had a few engine "tweaks"
so i need something that can turn a lumpy fat twin as well.
The guy at battery world said i would need a big one for the harley, but it would cost more than the price of a new harley and dr battery combined. Not exactly small either.

The search continues..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm 

3cav84a wrote:
Thanks for your reply.........How did you actually get onto the bike with all that gear? I have just recently upgraded the suspension front and back on my DR and I am struggling to throw my leg over the seat. I am 6'2" with a long back but short legs and I don't know how I could mount the bike.

Your quite right, it was not easy getting on and off. It did help that my bike is lowered, something l did when l first bought it. I did this because l felt that l needed to be able to get both feet flat on the ground when straddling the bike, so l lowered the front by sliding the triple clamps down the forks 24mm. I lowered the rear by swapping the 'dog bones' for 'Soupy's double style adjustable lowering links' (www.soupysperformance.com).
I found it particularly difficult to get on and off when l was tired after a long day on the bike. When getting off, I always put the stand down first, then often had to assist lifting my leg by grabbing my trousers with my hand and giving it a bit of extra lift, then a left foot shuffle.
Getting on l stood back a bit then did a high kick to get my foot on the seat, then shuffled forward on the left foot. With a bit of practice l was able to do it quite quickly without making too much of a spectacle of myself. By the end of the trip l was finding it much easier, l guess l was quite a bit fitter by then.