www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:18 am 

Hi All,

Just picked up a 2009 DR from the classifieds in the paper. 9,2XX miles. Paid $2,500 and am very happy. PO seems to have been knowledgeable about the DR bikes. I grew up riding dirtbikes and had a stint on road bikes (81' suzuki gs750, currently have a 1973 sporty) but I'm glad to get back on the dirt. Lots of places to ride up here.

PO Mods:
ProCycle Seat
Luggage Rack
Eibach Spring kit (F & R)
upper chain roller delete
aftermarket taillight and plate setup
possibly other things I'm not seeing.

Here are a few photos

This is the spring kit, don't know much about them (good/bad?) I'm about 190lbs 5'10"

I'll be looking for a skid plate and probably an exhaust to open her up a little bit. I already have one project so I'd like to keep this as reliable as possible. Wouldn't want to have to rejet or anything. I hear that with a pipe you shouldn't need to rejet but I may be wrong. Anyone have a link to a pdf manual?

Thanks for looking.

AW

Last edited by weeksz on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:33 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Congrats on the new bike. Woodrat has the manual and will chime in shortly. Did you test your skills riding up the logs?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:50 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Welcome to DRRiders.com weeksz! :howdy: Northern MI? I'm as far north as you can get without being a Youpper.... :s_biggrin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 am 

mxrob wrote:
Welcome to DRRiders.com weeksz! :howdy: Northern MI? I'm as far north as you can get without being a Youpper.... :s_biggrin

Yes, Traverse City area, not to far. I'm planning some moto camping the UP with a couple buddies who are dr riders (partly why I got mine), hopefully in a month when it warms up a bit.

Todd157k wrote:
Congrats on the new bike. Woodrat has the manual and will chime in shortly. Did you test your skills riding up the logs?

Thanks, and unfortunately no, I did some log hoppin but they were only stacked one high.. That was an impressive stack of logs though, I had to take a pic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:35 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Welcome aboard. Great riding in your area for sure. Done a few dual sport rides in the Mancelona area with Great Lake Dual Sporters. Also have family around Gaylord, so I often end up riding Tomahawk, Big Bear, Wolverine, etc. Great trails, although the DR is a bit piggy for some of them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:56 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Welcome to the forum AW! PM on the way with the info you requested. :s_yes

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:06 am 

Adjusted the rear shock last night, dropped the rear mount screw to the lower position, need to go back tonight and check the torque to 26ftlbs and add locktite.

Also noticed that my kickstand springs weren't too tight. I've haven't noticed any issues on trails so far of it stalling my engine but I'm doing a Upper Peninsula lap on June 6th-11th so I wanted to be sure I wouldn't have any issues. Not really into removing it entirely, I've caught myself riding off with side-stand down in the past. Tried lubing the side stand hinge and cleaning the springs with no luck, would still easily fall about 1/4 of an inch with slight pressure (just enough to not stall engine). I found some old rear drum brake springs that came off my 73' Harley that were replaced last year, almost a perfect fit. Larger gauge spring, little shorter, same idea. Side stand is now much tighter and sucks up the switch no problem.