www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:30 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DR650 vs. KTM 1290 ADV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:19 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Can the lowly DR keep pace with the 160 HP 1290 KTM? Answer? Depends. :s_yes

I just did yet another Pismo Beach ride. We start in Hollister (actually Tres Pinos), head down 25 from there, do a bunch of twisty back roads. We end up in Pismo for the night. Next day we head South via more remote back roads, ranches, vineyards ... plenty of awesome road, go as far South as Ojai, then back North to Pismo via Carrizo plain. Day 3 is another mix of roads but with a lot on Highway 25. Not a DR friendly road ... but still fun! Slab home from Hollister, CA up to San Francisco Bay Area.

On anything even remotely straight and fast ... the KTM's would pass me like I was parked ... me topped out at 90 mph or so. They hit 145 mph on some of straighter, more open areas.

But the DR certainly held it's own on the tight, technical twisty roads we found, some covered with dust, sand, gravel on them. The 37 HP DR did great. The KTM guys are nearly all "fast guys": East Bay Moto Bro riders, AYU, and Montgomery street guys. The Moto Bros are really good riders ...

But I pulled away on the very steep switch back filled roads along the Cielo ridge road that comes down into Santa Barbara. The DR rocks on such roads ... my corner entrance speeds top KTM's. (very worn IRC TR-8 front, Shinko 244 rear (120/17) But who wants to drop a NEW
$20K KTM 1290? :s_mad ... no one fell off, one guy went into the dirt verge on one corner. (fooling with GPS)

So, point is, a decent pilot with a well set up DR650 can actually do OK vs. more powerful ADV bikes ... if the road is right.
On the dirt roads we rode of course the DR was right there too.

Where I suffered was riding into 30 knot head winds coming North on Highway 25. The DR struggled to hold 80 mph in 4th gear! She used some oil that day after being revved out for hours trying to keep up. (not a chance on those sections)

But our guys stop to re-group frequently, and if the road gets technical or dirty ... I'm OK. No one is "racing" but these boys aren't
hanging around. Ask anyone about the East Bay Moto Bros group. :wacko:

Very fun ride. Other bikes in the group? 2 new Kawi Versys 1000 (very nice bike!), Concours 14, '16 BMW GSw, Suzuki Bandit 1250S, Buell,'06 Tiger, '09 Tiger 800, 2017 Bonneville ... and 5 KTM 1290's.

I was on the only single on the ride. The big Kawi's make a GREAT touring bike. I liked it better than the 1290 KTM! (too tall for me!)

Last edited by DR Grifter on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:33 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Put a top Moto GP rider on a Grom and a new rider on a Hayabusa then point them towards some twisty roads. Ability beats HP most of the time especially when in technical terrain. Anybody can go fast in a straight line.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Good review, mucho appreciated. I don't have a desire to ride fast but when I want to surprise folks in "pumpkin chasing" mode, I do. Sometimes it's just the fact the DR will go basically anywhere.

I understand not wanting to drop a $$$$$ bike as I rode my Tiger XCx way below it's ability and too carefully due to parts availability and cost. Riding $13K through the dirt just gave me pause. Some of the guys I ride with have bigger budgets and if their KTM 990's hit the deck, they don't care.

Appreciate the insight, Grifter.

2007 WR450

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:30 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I agree with Grifter,

Owning an 1190 S and the DR, I agree they each have their own place. On my Death Valley ride, I didn't need the HP or the weight, especially for Lippincott pass, so the 1190 stayed home. The DR did GREAT as did my buddies heavier KLR even though it did take a couple of naps.
And I honestly don't worry if I start to drop the DR, I just let her go and then pick her up, I managed to keep her upright for the entire trip.

Hit a 40 MPH headwind on the slab coming home from DV and I struggled as the 70MPH+40MPH head winds beat me up and wore me out.
The 1190 would have been better on this part with the fairing and windscreen.

Ran across three guys on 1200GS's near Hunter mountain and one dropped his bike, took three of them to get it picked up and straight, steep sandy down hill and he locked up the brakes and it dumped I guess. Two would hold the bike while one kept kicking the Touratech pannier to straighten it out so the lid would close.
:wacko: :s_crazy

I didn't buy the 1190 S to go where I take the DR. The 150 HP 525 lbs 1190 gets the same mileage as the DR. A benefit of modern technology, at a cost up front of course.
I got a great deal on the 1190 when looking for something for long road trips and it fills that void nicely and is an absolute thrill to drive. :OMG:

:drinks:

Added info:2016 was the last year for 1190 R and S, 2017 will be 1090 in R trim only. 1290's still around in two trims @ 20k+.
1090 R reported to be about 1k more than the AT and has a lot less features then the 1190 S (electronics).
1090 R going after some of the AT market it appears.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:04 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

For me, the difference in HP, operating cost, weight, maintenance, fuel availability (Premium), parts and Mcguyverishness(new word) are a no brainer. DR 650 (790) all the way.
PC and I have matched or passed Katooms and sport bikes on our knobby shod DRs, just sayin....

Any "versus" contest always turns back to the dual sport conundrum, dirt or tarmac? A compromise that can't truly be met .

My vote, DR790

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Wow! Good to see some activity here! Thanks EVERYONE for the thoughtful comments. :2_thumbsup:

Those big KTM's are something else! :s_yes But I felt so confident riding the DR on the tight funky roads, where the KTM guys were just a bit cautious ... it's a good feeling knowing my $4000 DR650 can match wits with a big Katoom ... on the right road. :s_laughat

But guess what guys ... the pressure of being left for dead on the straights got to me. Fact is, I've been new bike shopping for a YEAR now. Tried several and nearly bought a Yamaha FJ-09. Glad I skipped that one. Also, the big Versys 1000 was tempting as a pure touring bike.

But for the street rides we do that are not dirt ... I wanted something different. I nearly bought the KTM 690 Duke. But decided to wait for a used '17 to come along cheap. The 2017 one is said to be "all new", smoother and better all round, plus seat height FITS ME! But a lot of money new. So I passed on it for now.

In the end, bought the Ducati Hyperstrada 821. :OMG: An ODD BALL, I know! It's a '13 with quite a few miles but has $$$$ in extras, price was really good. (read: cheap!)

It actually fits me well ... and is quite light weight! (not as light as DR or KTM 690) but I've been impressed with this Ducati. Best one I ever rode save one tricked out Monster years ago. This one is probably as good. Really good on rough, tight technical roads. Smooth at 90 mph with plenty left to go. (145 mph top speed) Has Termigoni pipe, Andeani suspension front and rear, new chain/sprockets, Big service just done and more.

The Hyperstrada comes with nice bags stock so should be good for the kind of rides I do with my riding group. It's not terribly fast, does not have much torque ... but enough ... and revs nicely without Vibes. Wind management is even GOOD! (rare!) I thought the seat would KILL ME ... but surprise surprise ... it's actually a very comfy seat. (did 4 hours straight, no problema)

Still learning the bike and adapting, will report back after a few more longer rides. :Roost:

PS: DR650 will still get the most use as so many of my rides involve off road. And for Baja, the DR is THE KING! :yahoo:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Love Ducati;s and have owned a :

2009 - 848
1996 - 900ss/cr
1996 - 900ss/sp
1992 - 900ss

Actually owned all the 900's at the same time and still have my beloved ss/cr. While the modern 4 valve stuff is great, I'm stuck on the 2 valve. air cooled, carbed and belt driven cams. Same w/ Guzzi's (having onwed 11 of them)... 2 Valve carbed variants are my favorites. Guzzi can keep all the modern 4 valve stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:27 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Two valve Ducs rock. Of course, the four valvers as pretty sweet too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:59 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

UPDATE HyperStrada has died! :OMG:

Last weekend set off for big 3 day ride with 20 others. Only Ducati of course. Bike did great on paved roads, even the horrible pot holed ones. Did about 10 miles of nasty dirt road, got back on the paved road ... and she Pooped The Bed. :diablo:
Dead. First went to one cylinder ... then would not run or re-start. Plenty of fuel, Oil at full mark, coolant full and was not overheating
on this 100F day. No idea what went wrong ... just wish it didn't happen 200 miles from nowhere. :scratch:

Managed a lift in a Cowboy's pick up, got as far as the little town of Kettenpom, in Trinity Alps area (inland from Garberville). Really slow, beat up twisty roads in any direction, takes hours to get anywhere on 4 wheels (Great on a bike!).

My girl friend was not happy to have to drive my Van to pick me (and the bike) up. (5 hours from home!)

Goes to dealer in day or two. Not a good introduction to Ducati. I hear it could be a fuel pump. No idea. this bike has way too many computers, electronics heavy. (traction control, ABS, 3 power modes) ten thousand options in the menus. Very high tech ... but obviously
NOT reliable. Perhaps the rough 10 miles of dirt road killed it ?... or maybe it was that huge sharp edged Pot Hole I hit at 40mph (hidden in shade) that nearly broke my spine! :aggressive: Lucky to not bust a wheel or break the frame I guess.

Will up date further once the dealer has their way with her. I've got a warranty ... lets see what it's really worth. (aftermarket one)

:Roost:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

:OMG:
I hope she survives.